Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International

^ IMHO this is an issue on which the judges often bend or ignore the rules. To me, there are a lot of solo jumps in short programs where you have to bend over backward to detect any immediately preceding steps and turns.

Custom Title
    Most quads in the SP are done as combos because most skaters can't do footwork into their quads. That's a reason why it's hard to include a quad in the SP. Sometimes the second jump is missed due to the not so solid quad and the skater tacks it after the later solo jump. This may disqualify the quad as the solo jump with the required preceding footwork but it seems sometimes the tech panel relaxes on what constitute footwork in such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Most quads in the SP are done as combos because most skaters can't do footwork into their quads. That's a reason why it's hard to include a quad in the SP. Sometimes the second jump is missed due to the not so solid quad and the skater tacks it after the later solo jump. This may disqualify the quad as the solo jump with the required preceding footwork but it seems sometimes the tech panel relaxes on what constitute footwork in such situations.
    Thanks SF. This comment is more useful and enlightening than "you don't know the rules".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The judges might have thought that it had good height and distance (almost too much distance ),and that it matched the musical structure; Even, despite the step-back, that it had good flow throughout, especially between the two jumps.

They might also have thought that it wasn't really much of an error in the first place. He was too close to the boards, so he had to swing a little wider on the second jump. He was never seriously off balance, as is the usual case when skaters save a jump landing with a step out.

I think a minus 1 is OK.
    This was exactly what it was. The jump was on my side of the rink so I got a clear view. He landed fine then had to swing away in order not to hit the boards.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22