Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program: 2013 Skate Canada International

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
LOL, no. That 3Axel was average in height and maybe slightly better than average in distance. Again, the rotation was barely there. He landed right at the 1/4 turn mark. He controlled it well and the exit was good, but the jump itself was not amazing. If a had a transition beforehand that would have made it +2 worthy. How can this jump possibly get a +3 when it is much smaller than many others and barely rotated?

I think you should watch it again... And maybe pay attention to the difficult series of transitions after it. It was executed with superior distance, hence a +1, and with the difficult/creative exit, a +2. 9 judges unanimously agreed.

Also, kind of interesting how you would assert he "barely got the rotation" when you constantly defend Murakami's obvious URs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Chan is actually musical; I truly do not think people realize how much more difficult his choreo is than anyone else's and physically how he has to be in shape for such difficult choreo.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
And from left field ... I really enjoyed Josh's performance. Too bad about the popped jump. Still I felt he was engaged in the performance from beginning to end and it really held my attention.

Too bad Miner is on such a downhill trend. I haven't watched him closely since season before last but I remember enjoying his basic skating a lot a few seasons ago.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I am just hoping Abbott doesn't have it at olympics when they are so many good skaters Iknow that is life but to think he couldnt skate cnosistently for the majority of the times and got lucky at olys would be sad. Besides look at deserve and it is more than just the skate it could be karma, consistency etc. in the pure sense deserve is based on the olympic skates but the overal picture not necessary.

Do you think Paul Wylie merely "got lucky"? or finally skated up to his potential?

I, and the other Abbott fans, feel he has something special, a true gift, and that finally showing that gift in an important international competition would result in a well-deserved medal.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
This Abbott fan is happy that he landed his quad this early in the season. So he lost focus, like most skaters who just begin to land quads or are inconsistent with their quads. As I said before, he just needs to get used to landing them. He tends to lose it if he falls on the first jump, a quad, so losing focus for landing one is better than falling on one. Make it a habit and he will skate the rest of the program beautifully as he can.

I hope you're right! LOVE Jeremy's skating!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Ross Miner seems to have only started to bomb in about the last year or so. In 2010 and 2011, IIRC, he was quite consistent, even though he didn't attempt the hardest technical content out of the men.

Yes, I remember that at last year's US Nationals, Scott Hamilton called Ross Miner "Mr Consistency" and argued that he should go to Worlds over Jeremy because while Jeremy was a "better overall skater," Ross was more consistent. A month later, Scott ate those words when Ross fell apart at Worlds, and hasn't had a very good competition since. It's sad because he is a good, attractive, and sweet skater. But he is definitely on a down-ward spiral. Perhaps the pressure of actually being in the spotlight?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Also known as skating with speed on strong edges, building anticipation to a payoff. The curve into that 3Axel is glorious.

Also, kind of interesting how you would assert he "barely got the rotation" when you constantly defend Murakami's obvious URs.

Her UR's aren't "obvious", they usually aren't even UR more than a 1/4 to begin with. Stop the pariah propaganda. Moreover, when have I ever said a Triple of hers that was non-ideally rotated deserved +2 GOE??? If you can remember, I said her first 3Loop at 2013 Worlds should have been judged as 0 GOE and no < call.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Obviously bad skate for the men at Skate Canada, but there is some irony in the fact that Jason Brown currently has the second highest TES among the men so far in the GP in the SP with no quad. He even beat Patrick Chan! LOL. That won't last long, but thought I make that observation.

Who would have guessed that Machida has the highest TES among all the Japanese men (and overall) so far?! Again I don't see that lasting too long, but there's something to be said about making a statement early.

Also, Jeremy and Jason's PCS are only 0.72 apart. I know can't compare competitions perfectly, blah blah blah, but again just having fun with my fun new data scrapping tool.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 88.10 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 80.82
3. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 80.40 Short Program
4. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 74.58
5. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.08
6. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 72.35
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 71.71
8. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 69.14
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 68.31
10. Ross MINER (USA) - 66.71

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Whatever BoP. No matter how well he skates you're still going to say negatives, even for well executed elements. The fact that you thought his spins were over scored (what was wrong with his final spin?) is a prime example, along with saying his choreography deserves 8.25 when it is by far the most intricate. If you hate him that's your prerogative but some if your assertions are ridiculous. After seeing the SP again, that 3A certainly merited +2s. And like I said all 9 judges agreed it was +2. So you're saying they were unanimously in the wrong?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Obviously bad skate for the men at Skate Canada, but there is some irony in the fact that Jason Brown currently has the second highest TES among the men so far in the GP in the SP with no quad. He even beat Patrick Chan! LOL. That won't last long, but thought I make that observation.

Who would have guessed that Machida has the highest TES among all the Japanese men (and overall) so far?! Again I don't see that lasting too long, but there's something to be said about making a statement early.

Also, Jeremy and Jason's PCS are only 0.72 apart. I know can't compare competitions perfectly, blah blah blah, but again just having fun with my fun new data scrapping tool.

Mrs. P- you know I'm with you as a huge Jason Brown fan. but I also love Jeremy. I want Jeremy and Jason to be our Olympic team!

Ice Diva

On the Ice
It's hilarious how people are such haters.

Here's the thing; Chan scored 10 points below his PB, Hanyu and Oda failed to have clean programs so maybe before you parrot "his skating leaves me cold, why does he always win, etc." maybe ask why the rest of the field doesn't step up instead of whining about judging or how much you dislike his skating therefore it shouldn't get good marks.

He did a 3-3 (and 3T-3T at that with -GOE), hence the sub 90 score. The rest of the program was intricate and superbly executed. Even if his PCS were lower he'd still be comfortably in the lead.

But by all means keep crowing how much you hate him. He deserves the lead, plain and simple.

:clap: Agree totally. I've seen him live several times & he's just amazing & very fast with beautiful economy of movement on the blade. No flapping of arms a la Hanyu. if he wins with falls it's only because the others fall more than him! But it's easier to assert that he's "held up" rather than learn about why he receives such good scores -- of course no one's ever come up with a legit reason why he's "held up."

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No matter how well he skates you're still going to say negatives, even for well executed elements.

+1 GOE is a well executed element. I'm talking about overscoring, ie - a well executed element being treated as a brilliantly executed element. See the difference?

The fact that you thought his spins were over scored (what was wrong with his final spin?) is a prime example, along with saying his choreography deserves 8.25 when it is by far the most intricate.

If you take a length of shoelace and tie it into a bunch knots, sure it will be intricate. But that doesn't mean it is a quality shoelace. Choreography is often the same way.

TRANSITIONS are where program intricacy is rewarded. Choreography speaks to FORM and PURPOSE.

Selene

On the Ice
:clap: Agree totally. I've seen him live several times & he's just amazing & very fast with beautiful economy of movement on the blade. No flapping of arms a la Hanyu. if he wins with falls it's only because the others fall more than him! But it's easier to assert that he's "held up" rather than learn about why he receives such good scores -- of course no one's ever come up with a legit reason why he's "held up."

I normally don't agree with Chan's scores, but he was excellent today, outside of doing a ladies' combo instead of a 4-3. He deserves his lead, considering the way the rest of the field skated.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
patrick missed the quad today, and did not do this program to its full potential, but other than that everything else is brilliant, this is the program that took my breath away, the first time I ever saw it alive. And I thought the choreography of this program is just pure ingenious. The concept of fill the empty/soft music with your artistry, compose the melody using the sound of your blade is just genius. The step sequence is to die for, also, jumps and spin are perfectly connected with music (this is a very difficult music to interpret). The choreography of this program is definitely among one of the best, just my humble opinion.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Patrick's 88+ here is sort of okay with me, recalling Tatsuki's 91+ from last week. Rather, the rest of the scores are too low, compared to Skate America's Mens SP, I thought...:think:

Nobu and Elladj won my heart in performance-wise tonight! :rock: Nobu should have scored better in PCS.
Michal, Patrick and Yuzuru all need a new SP. Looking at PCS, judges seem to get bored to see them skating to the same music. They themselves too?, I have to wonder, because Yuzuru has lost some sparks which I saw from him last season...

Jeremy and Ross need a better costume. period.
Takahito needs his hair cut. period.

Not bad first showing on the senior circuit from Josh. :yes: And I love the new look of skating style from Andrei, trying to go out of his comfort zone and skating to a classical piece. :thumbsup: Way to go, boys!