Ice Dance Short Dance Report - 2013 Skate Canada | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Short Dance Report - 2013 Skate Canada

2013 Skate Canada
Ice Dance – Short Dance
Quickstep plus one or two following rhythms: Foxtrot, Charleston, Swing
Pattern Dance: Two Sections of Finnstep skated one after the other (Section 1 followed by Section 2 with Step #1 skated on the Judges’ side)

Detailed Classification
Judges Scores

Links to Other Reports:
Ice Dance - Free Dance
Ladies – Short Program
Ladies - Free Skating
Men - Short Program
Men - Free Skating
Pairs – Short Program
Pairs - Free Skating

Disclaimer: The GOE values listed next to the elements are ones I would award if I was a judge and they’re intended to give you a general impression of how each element was executed. I try to describe each of the elements but there's not always time to be as detailed as I would like and a numbers can sometimes say a thousand words.

I am generally very nitpicky, try to pay a lot of attention to detail and attempt to notice various errors that judges might have missed. I realise that I’m being very harsh but I try my best to apply the same high standard to all of the skaters.

Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are all very welcome.

1. Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM /CAN/
Crazy For You - Overture by George Gershwin (Quickstep, Foxtrot, Quickstep)

twizzles: clockwise into arm above and catch into arms bent [1] – well synchronized, solid, could use a little more speed though
midline not touching step sequence [1] – quite good flow
quickstep seq 1 [-1]
quickstep seq 2 [-1] – both a little scratchy, movements not very sharp, could use some more bounce
split rotational lift [0] – position not fully extended, could have used a little more speed

They are quite smooth over the ice and whilst romantic, longato music fits them well, sharp and bouncy staccato quickstep is not their forte. They needed stronger movements.

2. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI /ITA/
Charleston: Money, Money, Money (from "Cabaret")
Quickstep: Cabaret by Liza Minelli
Foxtrot: Big Spender (from "Fosse")

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded into arm above [0] – decent speed, he seemed to rotate slightly faster on the first set however and his twizzles weren’t as secure and solid as hers
quickstep seq 1 [1]
quickstep seq 2 [0]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position [0] – a little laboured
midline not touching step sequence [1] – sharp footwork

A fun cabaret style program with busy upper body movement. Good expression throughout.

3. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN /RUS/
Quickstep: I Can't Touch It
Foxtrot: Sixteen Tons
Quickstep: Big and Bad

quickstep seq 1 [1]
quickstep seq 2 [0]
twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded into arms above [2] – fast, well-synchronised
circular not touching step sequence [0]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position to catchfoot [1]

Strong start and a nice middle slower section with edgy movements but the program fizzled out at the end. Their movement wasn’t very strong and confident and the choreography could have used more character.

4. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE /USA/
Quickstep: Mr. Pinstripe Suit performed by Big Bad Voodoo Daddies
Foxtrot: Maddest Kind Of Love performed by Big Bad Voodoo Daddies
Charleston: Diga Diga Doo performed by Big Bad Voodoo Daddies

quickstep seq 1 [1]
quickstep seq 2 [1]
jump to twizzles: arm raised into arm folded and catch clockwise [1]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position [1]
not touching circular step sequence [1] – sharp footwork, skated quite close together
he fell on closing choreography

A real shame about the silly fall at the end because the program was skated extremely well up till that point. All of the technical elements were strong and they skated with a lot of attack and confidence.

It’s only their third performance this season and each one was better than the last. Compared to Nebelhorn Trophy, the program looks like it got loads of mileage. I feel like I need to take back what I said after their SA performance. Whilst it’s true that there isn’t anything particularly creative or out-of-the-box about this program, the choreography is in character of the music and when they skate as well as this, it really works.

They have improved their personal best by 0.21 (despite the one point fall deduction).

5. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO /RUS/
Charleston: Chicago (soundtrack)
Foxtrot: Chicago (soundtrack)
Quickstep: Chicago (soundtrack)

steps into twizzles: arm above and catch(off-synch) into clockwise moving arms into raised arms [0] – rotation speed not bad
midline not touching step sequence [0] – ok but synchronization a tiny bit off in places
quickstep seq 1 [0]
quickstep seq 2 [0]
rotational lift with changes of position [0] – fast and smooth changes of position but they didn’t cover much ice, her positions weren’t very well extended and aesthetically pleasing and she needed to touch down with toe pick coming out in a ‘stumbly fashion’

Quite messy and frantic upper body movement which didn’t seem very purposeful or coherent.

They still seem stuck and unable to move forward both in terms of increasing their technical skill as well as developing their presentation.

6. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI /GER/
Foxtrot: Le Jazz Hot performed by Glee Cast
Quickstep: Le Jazz Hot performed by Glee Cast

jump to twizzles: catch with both arms(seemed three-turned) into clockwise (he was off balance and travelled) [-2] – not a lot of speed
midline not touching step sequence [0]
quickstep seq 1 [0]
quickstep seq 2 [0]
catchfoot rotational lift [1] – quite good position and rotation speed

Fantastic expression as usual, right from the very start of the program but technically they are not at the level of other top senior teams. Edges are a bit on the shallow side for a dance team, twizzles and the step sequence were not very sharp.

On their first set of twizzles, you can see them doing half-a-turn/check/half-a-turn which would point to them doing three-turns instead of twizzles (which should have continuous rotation) or at the very least doing twizzles which are quite choppy.

7. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE /CAN/
Quickstep: 42nd Street - Finale by Harry Warren

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded(a little choppy) into arms bent [1] – good speed
quickstep seq 1 [1]
quickstep seq 2 [1]
midline not touching step sequence [2] – sharp footwork, good flow
spread eagle curve lift with changes of position [2] – quite effortless

Elegant, good flow throughout. The program worked very well as a coherent whole with elements connected well by actual dancing and transitions.

They have improved their personal best by 2.81 points and Weaver screamed in disbelief upon seeing the scores. :)

8. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR /CAN/
Foxtrot: Dream a Little Dream by Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong
Quickstep: Muskrat Ramble by Louis Armstrong
Foxtrot: Heaven by Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong

midline not touching step sequence [2] – strong edges, very well synchronised, skated close together
quickstep seq 1 [1]
quickstep seq 2 [1]
twizzles: arm above and catch(she was a little insecure and had to put foot down at the end to keep balance) into clockwise(one did one more revolution than the other) into moving arms [-1] – very fast rotation
rotational lift with changes of position [1] – quite fast but not aesthetically pleasing, it looked like he was throwing a sack of potatoes around

Smooth and light basic skating. Twizzle mishaps again, they skated very well but again, Zoueva’s choreography wasn’t particularly creative or memorable. There was a fair amount of closed holds throughout and they skated close together but the program lacked highlights and could have used more character. It was a little 'soft' (which is Virtue/Moir's strength) and lacked the staccato sharpness and bounciness you would associate with a quickstep.

lmarie086

Medalist
Thank you again for you analysis, Ziggy. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this- helps make my own thoughts about the performances much clearer.

You're welcome, it's a real pleasure. :)

If your own thoughts are different, don't hesitate to share. Differing points of view are always interesting to hear. ^^