Gracie Gold - a dark horse for the Olympics medal | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold - a dark horse for the Olympics medal

backspin

On the Ice
I actually am puzzled & a little annoyed at how USFS & the media has made her the face of US figure skating this year. 2nd at nationals once, and suddenly she's the one? Unfair to the actual champion, but also probably not great for Gracie--the pressure must be enormous, for this as-yet unproven skater on the senior international circuit. I wish they'd leave her alone, let her train, and just see what happens. As it is, ALL eyes are on her, and there really are more than 3 good girls vying for those Olympic spots.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I swear, Sky_fly has to be child...

His/her comments are so juvenile and ridiculous I just can't fathom them coming from anyone over the age of 10 years old...

:laugh: I thought that sky_fly was simply an adult who didn't know any better. But, yes, a child does make much more sense.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is possible she could snatch a medal but Asada, Kim, Kostner, Wagner would have to have some melt downs and then trust she can get past Suzuki and hold off the two Russian ladies and the third Japanese lady as well as Osmond and Korpi and the Chinese phenom - not easy. The stars would have to align or maybe better put out of align for her to medal..

I don't think Gracie has to worry about Osmond, Korpi and Li. Osmond is struggling with injury, Li with growth and Korpi won't be at Sochi. The others are the hurdles she has to pass. However, she has beaten Suzuki before and we don't know which Russian ladies will be at Sochi yet (she has beaten Sot and Tuk before).

All that being said, this is NOT Gracie's time yet. 2018 may be a more realistic medal prospect for her---barring injury, of course.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree with kwanatic. Gracie is not that good a choice as dark horse, for the simple fact she is not a consistent skater or really strong competitor yet. It is 200% obvious if everyone skates cleanly at the Olympics the podium would be Kim, Asada, and Kostner in some order or another. Thus the best dark horses are people who are reliable and can advantage of the mistakes Asada and Kostner will both most likely make. That person is not Gold who is likely to make mistakes herself. A better choice would be someone like Julia who frequently skates cleanly, and if Kostner and Asada make enough mistakes, can capatilize to win a medal. If Wagner can start skating clean programs with her new triple-triples she is an amazingly strong potential dark horse for a medal though. I would favor a clean Wagner over a clean Gold if the PCS are marked even somewhat fairly, now that Wagner has 3-3s in her LP.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
All that being said, this is NOT Gracie's time yet. 2018 may be a more realistic medal prospect for her---barring injury, of course.

I remember people said the same thing about Sarah Hughes in 2001. That her time will be Torino...

I do agree, however, that Gracie's best bet will be in Pyongyang. I hope she stays relatively injury-free until then.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie is for sure a dark horse, maybe not the favorite behind the top 3 but certainly ahead of anyone except Ashley and Julia.

Vash01

Medalist
I am not her fan, but I agree that she is a dark horse for an Olympic medal. She has the jumps, so if everyone struggles (except her) she could sneak in.

anthologyz

Rinkside
hopefully it's not a meissner-like situation where she hits the top and has a swift fall from grace.

Icey

Record Breaker
IMO Gold is going to have much stiffer competition after this Olympics than she has now, so this Sochi might be make or break time.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie is not that good a choice as dark horse, for the simple fact she is not a consistent skater or really strong competitor yet.
In 5 weeks with FrankC, she went from mistakes in the SP to a clean SP. NHK may not be where she shows it, but by Nationals, she could have that mental fortitude and ability to skate clean programs based on her change of training venue and style of training. We shall see...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
mskater93 said:
In 5 weeks with FrankC, she went from mistakes in the SP to a clean SP.

As if she hadn't done any clean SP before. She was clean in the SP in CoR 2012 too. Gracie isn't incapable of clean programs, but she's still inconsistent. If this will change under Frank in the months to come is hard to say, but I wouldn't take her SC SP alone as such a huge sign.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Gracie is for sure a dark horse, maybe not the favorite behind the top 3 but certainly ahead of anyone except Ashley and Julia.

Right now Ashley and Julia are the only real dark horses. They are the only ones consistent enough to keep Kostner and Asada on their toes. Gold, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Murakami, Suzuki dont have the consistency to worry any of the likely medalists. However forced to make a order I might have Suzuki above Gold right now.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
As if she hadn't done any clean SP before. She was clean in the SP in CoR 2012 too. Gracie isn't incapable of clean programs, but she's still inconsistent. If this will change under Frank in the months to come is hard to say, but I wouldn't take her SC SP alone as such a huge sign.

I agree. If she had a good FS to back up her stellar SP I'd agree that she's improving mentally at a great rate. However, she came apart in the FS which still leaves her squarely in the see-saw skater territory (up one, down one, up one, down one). Based on her SC results, she's still 100% hit or miss...just so happens her miss at SC was still good enough for a medal.

I see improvement in her presentation but mentally she's pretty much in the same boat she was in last year. We'll see if that changes by nationals. The pressure will be tenfold there but if she can pull off two respectable performances, that will be enough to get her to Sochi.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Are Gracie or Ashley really under pressure at Nationals though. I get the impression they are pretty muck locks for the team. Even in a crazy never going to happen scenario Hicks, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki, old Czisny, all skated cleanly how many mistakes would either have to have to place out of the top 3. Atleast 3 over the 2 programs probably, maybe 4 (depending what the mistakes are too). Only a clean Zawadzki could I see placed over either with less than that. You also know pretty much none of those women except possibly Gao is even capable of possibly going clean.

I dont really feel Gold or Wagner are under hardly any pressure at Nationals. Even if somehow one placed 4th they might be named to the team also, although I know neither would want it to come to that.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Are Gracie or Ashley really under pressure at Nationals though. I get the impression they are pretty muck locks for the team. Even in a crazy never going to happen scenario Hicks, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki, old Czisny, all skated cleanly how many mistakes would either have to have to place out of the top 3. Atleast 3 over the 2 programs probably, maybe 4 (depending what the mistakes are too). Only a clean Zawadzki could I see placed over either with less than that. You also know pretty much none of those women except possibly Gao is even capable of possibly going clean.

I dont really feel Gold or Wagner are under hardly any pressure at Nationals. Even if somehow one placed 4th they might be named to the team also, although I know neither would want it to come to that.

I'm sure they know they are favorites and that they are very likely to make the team but, you still have to show up. As good as both of them are, an inspired performance could beat them especially if they make a lot of errors.