Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold - a dark horse for the Olympics medal

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    NHK is a "big competition". SC was a "big competition". Nationals is a HUGE competition.
    Olympics is what then?

Nationals not a big deal for Gracie. Only Wagner can challenge her. And they have 3 spots. As for the NHK Gracie doesn't feel the pressure now because she don't think she can qualify for the Final. So I think she will skate very good.

Custom Title
    It is possible she could snatch a medal but Asada, Kim, Kostner, Wagner would have to have some melt downs and then trust she can get past Suzuki and hold off the two Russian ladies and the third Japanese lady as well as Osmond and Korpi and the Chinese phenom - not easy. The stars would have to align or maybe better put out of align for her to medal..

Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Olympics is what then?

Nationals not a big deal for Gracie. Only Wagner can challenge her. And they have 3 spots. As for the NHK Gracie doesn't feel the pressure now because she don't think she can qualify for the Final. So I think she will skate very good.
    I am only saying that NHK and SCI are "big competitions". Nationals is a HUGE competition because that's where you have the opportunity to qualify for the Olympics and if you blow it there, you go home.

In your estimation, then, only 6 people will have a "big competition" before the Olympics (those that qualify for GPF)? Please explain what your comment meant about the Olympics being her "first big competition of the season"...

Custom Title
    For Gracie this season it's not about becoming a artist on the ice at least not with getting a new coach after the season has already started. I think Frank simply wants her to be more consistent while working on other aspects of her skating. There will be time next year to blossom into a better artistic skater. The plan is to peak at Nationals not in October or November. If she doesn't make the GPF it won't be a bad thing it just means more time to work with Frank.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I think Gracie could be a darkhorse in Sochi but her lack of consistency doesn't make her a good bet for darkhorse. Julia is the biggest darkhorse IMO. She has the difficulty, the spins and (most importantly) the consistency to move in if the big names make mistakes.

I'd bet on Julia way more than Gracie at this point. Gracie has some time b/w now and the Olympics but I seriously doubt she's going to develop that laser focus, consistency and killer instinct Julia has had for years now. Julia is a true competitor and that's why she's the best bet for darkhorse. Gracie is still a darkhorse but that's only on the off chance she manages to deliver two perfect programs in Sochi under pressure. It could happen...but based on her current up and down pattern, I don't know how great her odds are there.

Banned
    Gracie gets 180+ with mistakes and her PCS has shot through the roof
    a clean Gracie will score 200+, so definitely in the mix for a medal in Sochi

Gracie does better starting the the middle of the SP scores pack
    then she pulls herself up by getting a good LP run

her scoring potential is higher than the old and worn out Wagner

Custom Title
    Yeah, because Wagner is so old and so worn out.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Yeah, because Wagner is so old and so worn out.
    I swear, Sky_fly has to be child...

His/her comments are so juvenile and ridiculous I just can't fathom them coming from anyone over the age of 10 years old...

Well she definitely has a chance if one of the top 3 screws up and she manages to do 2 clean programs. I know I'm jumping way ahead, but I'm excited to see her and all the Russian babies at Pyeongchang 2018.

Custom Title
    If Gracie skates her program as choreographed, relaxed, up to speed, no mistakes, and with her usual jump height and spin speed, she will medal at this Olympics. Why? She is a striking beauty, she has charisma, and her top performances "sing"!

Custom Title
    I actually am puzzled & a little annoyed at how USFS & the media has made her the face of US figure skating this year. 2nd at nationals once, and suddenly she's the one? Unfair to the actual champion, but also probably not great for Gracie--the pressure must be enormous, for this as-yet unproven skater on the senior international circuit. I wish they'd leave her alone, let her train, and just see what happens. As it is, ALL eyes are on her, and there really are more than 3 good girls vying for those Olympic spots.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I swear, Sky_fly has to be child...

His/her comments are so juvenile and ridiculous I just can't fathom them coming from anyone over the age of 10 years old...
    I thought that sky_fly was simply an adult who didn't know any better. But, yes, a child does make much more sense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    It is possible she could snatch a medal but Asada, Kim, Kostner, Wagner would have to have some melt downs and then trust she can get past Suzuki and hold off the two Russian ladies and the third Japanese lady as well as Osmond and Korpi and the Chinese phenom - not easy. The stars would have to align or maybe better put out of align for her to medal..
    I don't think Gracie has to worry about Osmond, Korpi and Li. Osmond is struggling with injury, Li with growth and Korpi won't be at Sochi. The others are the hurdles she has to pass. However, she has beaten Suzuki before and we don't know which Russian ladies will be at Sochi yet (she has beaten Sot and Tuk before).

All that being said, this is NOT Gracie's time yet. 2018 may be a more realistic medal prospect for her---barring injury, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Gracie`s comment about Frank having almost a century of experience , in his face

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast