Pairs Long Program- Skate Canada 2013 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program- Skate Canada 2013

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The crowd booing this result was also a disagrace. If anything they should have booed D&R's scores for being too high, not that they didn't win. Canadian crowds often exhibit this kind of behavior though. I remember Skate Canada 99 and they booed when a clean Stojko was beaten by a clean Yagudin in the short program, as if an old Stojko is supposably a better skater than Yagudin, LOL! Anytime Bourne & Kraatz were in an event and did not win. The first LP at the 2001 Grand Prix final booing when a bad performance by Sale & Pelletier lost the first LP to Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze.

:thumbsup: and Worlds 2013 too

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
also why in Skate Canada the crowd boos when their home turn doesnt win ?
can't they see they were not clean, that takes inflation and ignorance to a while new level

They are used to seeing Chan skates with Triple-splats and butt on ice and keep winning. All they care and think about is, any canadian skaters will win on home turf regardless of skating clean or not.

bekalc

Record Breaker
The look on Stefani's face as she was getting her gold medal was nice to see. Something tells me there may not be a gold medal on the GP series-so treasured. To bad about fifth at Skate America. D/R are no Patrick Chan.

jaylee

Medalist
D/R had a voided element. Whenever a skater has a voided element, it's a huge hit to their score--as it was for D/R--and the crowd is often confused because the score is lower than expected.

Brian Joubert Zayaked himself at 2013 Worlds and thus an entire element--that seemingly was executed fine--was given 0 points, and the score was significantly lower than expected. And the crowd--in Canada--booed that.

The booing may have not solely because D/R didn't win, but because of the confusion over the score and voided element. There's no way for the crowd to know that an element was invalidated.

bekalc

Record Breaker
D/R had a voided element. Whenever a skater has a voided element, it's a huge hit to their score--as it was for D/R--and the crowd is often confused because the score is lower than expected.

Brian Joubert Zayaked himself at 2013 Worlds and thus an entire element--that seemingly was executed fine--was given 0 points, and the score was significantly lower than expected. And the crowd--in Canada--booed that.

The booing may have not solely because D/R didn't win, but because of the confusion over the score and voided element. There's no way for the crowd to know that an element was invalidated.

Even I could tell they screwed up a lift.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
They are used to seeing Chan skates with Triple-splats and butt on ice and keep winning. All they care and think about is, any canadian skaters will win on home turf regardless of skating clean or not.

well they lack a Pair to overscore, now they have it complete:

Inflated marks for Chan, V/M , Osmond and now D/R :bang:

jaylee

Medalist

Screwing up an element isn't as costly in terms of points as getting it voided completely. I wasn't in the audience and I don't know what they were thinking; just offering one possible explanation.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Yeah I don't see how anyone who knows enough about skating to know there are supposed to be three lifts, not just two, would not have known D/R were going to get nothing or next to nothing for that lift.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
this isn't the first time though, it happens almost in every event
remember Worlds 2013 ?

this issue needs to be addressed skating in Canada

It's the same about France, it's not just in Canada that we have «booos»
But like I said, we are not a poor nationals sportsmanchip, it's just that in France and in Canada we like to express themself without thinking before but sometimes I can agree that we are not right in our manners, but it's on our culture and nature.

We don't «boos» necessary because we are not agree with the placement (sometimes yes) but in this situation, it's not about that we are not agree with the results, it simply because we are like : «What a shame, they could have do so much better and winning this event» so we are sorry for them and doing «booos» :p

I'm happy that the Italian win this event they deserve it :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Do they still have a hope of reaching the Grand Prix final? I hope they can.

B/H?? Probably not. They were 5th at SkAm, weren't they? A LOT would need to go wrong for SEVERAL other teams for them to make it. ETA even if they'd been/were 4th the answer is the same though the chance is slightly less remote.

Scout

Final Flight
The look on Stefani's face as she was getting her gold medal was nice to see. Something tells me there may not be a gold medal on the GP series-so treasured. To bad about fifth at Skate America. D/R are no Patrick Chan.

Very happy for the Italians! I hope someone uploads the medal ceremony, because I'd love to see the look on Stefania's face!

Also pleasantly surprised with the growth of the Sui/Han.

I realized that Stefania and Rockne were competiting against each other. Rockne has always been at least a sentimental favourite of mine, and I would love to see him get to the Olympics. I can't imagine how tough it is to compete against each other. And to add to that Rockne will not be going to the Olympics unless something completely unpredicatable happens.

flaneur

On the Ice
I haven't seen the event yet (waiting for it to air on tv) but as a Canadian I preemptively am embarrassed by the reported booing. The only time it is appropriate is when there is something really really blatant... and even then I don't like it.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 193.92 Free Skate
2. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN) - 193.77 Free Skate
3. Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 190.62 Free Skate
4. Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) - 159.82 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER (USA) - 158.83 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Lindsay DAVIS / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA) - 153.71 Free Skate
7. Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 149.59 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Margaret PURDY / Michael MARINARO (CAN) - 131.39 Free Skate

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
B/H?? Probably not. They were 5th at SkAm, weren't they? A LOT would need to go wrong for SEVERAL other teams for them to make it. ETA even if they'd been/were 4th the answer is the same though the chance is slightly less remote.

yes they can a small chance:

It depends on Sui/Han, Bazarova/Larionov, Peng/Zheng and Stolbova/Klimov's results

tulosai

Record Breaker
Very happy for the Italians! I hope someone uploads the medal ceremony, because I'd love to see the look on Stefania's face!

Also pleasantly surprised with the growth of the Sui/Han.

I realized that Stefania and Rockne were competiting against each other. Rockne has always been at least a sentimental favourite of mine, and I would love to see him get to the Olympics. I can't imagine how tough it is to compete against each other. And to add to that Rockne will not be going to the Olympics unless something completely unpredicatable happens.

Rockne might be able to go to the next Olys if he is willing to stick it out 4 more years and finds a partner who will actually stick it out with him. He's not going to make it to this one barring miracle.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm sort of tired of the women in Rockne's pairs teams always taking the blame. I'm not saying that Rockne isn't a beautiful skater, but....

What is Italy's best male skater? I'm thinking Italy has a good dance, good pair, and great female skater for the team event at the Olympics...

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
yes a small margin, we'll have to see how P/Z, B/L, S/K, S/H skate their events or next one

So, the Italian pair is first one in to GPF?? Can't remember they are in 4th or 5th at SA. S/H will need a silver or bronze at COC. Not sure they are facing the german pair or canadian pair again.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm sort of tired of the women in Rockne's pairs teams always taking the blame. I'm not saying that Rockne isn't a beautiful skater, but....

What is Italy's best male skater? I'm thinking Italy has a good dance, good pair, and great female skater for the team event at the Olympics...

I certainly didn't mean to blame anyone for Rockne's situation. He has had very bad luck though. I have written numerous posts on the MBM/ Rocknee split in particular where I've given them both credit and said some rather cutting things about both of them. I do feel bad for him, though.