Kaetlyn Osmond has withdrawn due to hamstring strain | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond has withdrawn due to hamstring strain

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
That is really too bad. I was looking forward to seeing her. She did not look happy leaving the arena.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
She is still vulnerable from previous injuries so it's best she takes it easy now to ascertain good health and fitness for competition later in this all important season.

Take care Kaetlyn. Be well and stay well.

rvi5

On the Ice
Her previous injury was her left foot. During an interview after the competition, she mentioned she awoke with pain in her right hamstring. During practice, she said the pain was getting worse. Hence they decided to play it safe and withdraw. This injury appears to be something different. She seemed very disappointed during that interview. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Robeye

Final Flight
I thought her original injury was to her foot?
I don't know the details of Kaetlyn's physical woes, let me get that caveat out there right now.

But as a general observation, competing with an injury to one part of the body can often lead to another injury to a different part. This can happen because the injured athlete unconsciously makes adjustments to try to protect the injured area, which will screw up the biomechanics of movement, thereby causing follow-on injuries.

Not saying that this is what happened, but it's very common.

Edit: Which is why it is almost always the smart thing to do to let the injury fully heal before coming back. (I hope Yuna follows this generally accepted medical protocol and not try to come back before her body is ready)

Edit2: Hope Kaetlyn's injuries are relatively minor, and she's back to full strength soon.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It is very easy and common to incur another injury due to an original one owing to compensation with other parts/muscles. E.g. When Tong crushed his fingers and had to take a season off, it was very difficult to come back because he compensated with his arm and shoulder when lifting his partner and incurred subsequent injuries. It didn't help that Pang had grown during that year.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering she was only starting to land her triple jumps just 3 weeks ago there was no need to get this girl back on the ice competing until she was fully healed. She really had nothing to gain and everything to lose.

rvi5

On the Ice
... as a general observation, competing with an injury to one part of the body can often lead to another injury to a different part. This can happen because the injured athlete unconsciously makes adjustments to try to protect the injured area, which will screw up the biomechanics of movement, thereby causing follow-on injuries.

You could be correct. There was a full page article about Kaetlyn in todays Toronto Sun newspaper. In the article, they mentioned she was still feeling some pain in her foot when she walks. Perhaps she was tensing her right hamstring muscles to take some pressure off the injured left foot, and it became sore overnight. If so, sufficient rest and perhaps a massage session should relax the muscle. However, that left foot still needs to fully heal.

emdee

Final Flight
Her previous injury was her left foot. During an interview after the competition, she mentioned she awoke with pain in her right hamstring. During practice, she said the pain was getting worse. Hence they decided to play it safe and withdraw. This injury appears to be something different. She seemed very disappointed during that interview. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

For sky fly, foot, hamstring its all the same if the skater is Canadian then there is a problem.lets talk and sky fly are really prejudiced posters!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTOH I am sure she wanted her chance to make the GPF.

It's probably for the best she didn't make the GPF. She was off the ice for a long period in September and would have been playing catchup anyway. Last year she peaked too soon and that was a huge mistake. Her next GP is the last one, CoR and a tough field (Kostner, Lipnitskaia). She won't have the burden of home crowd expectations and just take the opportunity to get feedback on her programs.