Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think you're the one acting childish. You have to realize that not everyone is going to share your opinions. This is not a Gracie Gold Fan Forum.

I find Julia so spellbinding. I never tire of watching her interpret Schindler's List! It's a perfect vehicle for her style I think. What a well deserved victory! Congratulations, Julia Lipnitskaia, 2013 Skate Canada Champion! :yay::love:

Gracie's fans must then take a backseat to Julia's fans' gushing apparently.

James R, I get it and tend to agree in principle with your thoughts. Respect and kudos to Ashley and Gracie.

Figure skating forums definitely prove figure skating is a subjective and a blood sport. ;)

Iscariot

On the Ice
Julia is already making a case of herself to be a world class medalist or champion but i dont see her beating the top 3 in Sochi, jus because the PCS will safe any of them IF they are not clean (hope not, i want to see some blood because of clean programs) but iuf she continues like this i can see her getting maybe 65-66 but thats it
Akiko is the love of my life!!! seriously what a joy to watch her skate! So well deserved PCS

tulosai

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope Akiko knows how many skating fans love, appreciate, and respect her.

anthologyz

Rinkside
i hope akiko builds on this performance and peaks just in time for sochi. i'd hate her to see her come undone like last year's worlds because this is a glorious program for her. she has that michelle kwan "heart on her sleeve" quality to her skating.

julia is quite phenomenal on a technical level but there is no "performance" there. the baby ballerina moves at this point are punctuation points that seem entirely disconnected from the stoic phrasing of her skating sentences.

i hope frank can do something for gracie's gracelessness. those helicopter arms worked with the modernist angles and tempos of gershwin's preludes but they clash with the fluidity required for tchaikovsky. also, the netting on her dress makes her look like she wrestled herself out of a kelp forest.

hurrah

Medalist
Julia was really great today at Skate Canada. She really made sure to center her spins!
I can see her possibly winning bronze medal at Sochi if enough ladies bomb enough and she skates perfect, but beyond that, I think she will face the puberty hurdle. She's only 15-years-old, after all.

I love Akiko's costume.

katymay

Medalist
I sincerely hope Akiko knows how many skating fans love, appreciate, and respect her.

I love Akiko...it was so cute how she held up the bear with her skating dress color..and yes,her costuming is always so beautiful-but it seems to me that all of the Japanese women have dresses to die for. Akiko makes a huge connection to the audience when she skates, something that seems to be a dying art when skaters are overly focused on the next jump.

The advantage Julia has is she is young enough to back stack her program with bonus points. She doesn't get tired.

I hope that Courtney Hicks works on stretch, posture and a few of the rough spots-because her jumps are spectacular-dang, they are HUGE! You almost wish that she could pay Chan for a couple hours of his time to work with her.

kimganos

On the Ice
Maybe a max of 75 for Yu-Na if she skates perfectly. The main idea is that the gap between Lipnitskaya and the others is going to shrink rapidly. This program is an amazing vehicle and perfectly timed for an Olympics in Russia. Not only will Lipnitsakaya receive a huge ovation because of the Russian crowd, but the idea of the program and its embodiment of historical genocide will speak directly to the awful human rights violations that are happening IN Russia currently. People have already been moved to tears by this program. If she skates it perfectly in Sochi, there will be a flood.
ITA:yes:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Maybe a max of 75 for Yu-Na if she skates perfectly. The main idea is that the gap between Lipnitskaya and the others is going to shrink rapidly. This program is an amazing vehicle and perfectly timed for an Olympics in Russia. Not only will Lipnitsakaya receive a huge ovation because of the Russian crowd, but the idea of the program and its embodiment of historical genocide will speak directly to the awful human rights violations that are happening IN Russia currently. People have already been moved to tears by this program. If she skates it perfectly in Sochi, there will be a flood.

I still think if Kim skates well, she'll beat Julia no matter how perfectly Julia skates. Kim just the better skater. Same goes for Kostner. Now Asada I love but her jumps are getting shakier (although not so sure I'd call Julia's great).

I still think those three girls will be tough for Julia to beat. I do think her PCS are going to rise, especially if she does well in the GP for the rest of the season.

I also think the short is no where as good as the long.

hurrah

Medalist
Now Asada I love but her jumps are getting shakier (although not so sure I'd call Julia's great).

What are you talking about? Mao's jumps are in the best condition than she's ever experienced in her career.

You don't really love Mao, you love Yuna above all else and good for you that you love her, but don't pretend you love Mao.

bekalc

Record Breaker
What are you talking about? Mao's jumps are in the best condition than she's ever experienced in her career.

You don't really love Mao, you love Yuna above all else and good for you that you love her, but don't pretend you love Mao.

I disagree. Some looked a bit smallish and underrotated.

As for Mao's jumps they were best when she was 15/16, when she was itty bitty and could get more away with not having the greatest technique. Now her jumps don't have the height they once did.

They are better than they were though of course.

hurrah

Medalist
I disagree. Some looked a bit smallish and underrotated.

As for Mao's jumps they were best when she was 15/16, when she was itty bitty and could get more away with not having the greatest technique. Now her jumps don't have the height they once did.

They are better than they were though of course.

Mao under-rotated only one triple jump, the triple-axel, at Skate America. She was successfully ratified seven triple-jumps, two in the SP and five in the FP, so she has gotten her triple-jumps ratified quite well already this season.

The quality of triple jumps aren't just about the height. You know that. It's about transitions before and after, speed/flow in and out, etc. Mao may not have the biggest toe jumps amongst her competitors, but she has nice transitions into her jumps (the one thing she never gets accused of doing is stalking her jumps), she now has really decent flow out of them, and the way she goes right into another element right after a jump is quite impressive. And the size of her loops and salchows are just fine as are her axels.

What's the point in shading Mao's jumps here anyway?

flaneur

On the Ice
Akiko is such a lovely skater. There is something sweet about her.

Julia impressed me. Her take on the old warhorse Schindler's List felt surprisingly fresh. Her flexibility is borderline scary. Especially since she has already gone through her growth spurt :eek:

bekalc

Record Breaker
To prop up her beloved Russian babies? Too bad she's already jinxed two so far. If I were Julia, I would stay far away from this fan.

Actually-no. I prefer Mao as a skater to Julia.... And I think Julia's jumps are smallish too. I just feel in comparision to Kostner and Kim, Asada's jumps should not get anywhere near the same GOE.

I stand by that. I'm not the only one who felt Asada and Wagner maybe both got off with some underrotated jumps at the competition. My dream podium would have Kim, Kostner, and Asada on it.

I thought back in the day a young Russian might be OGM because Kim looked like she was leaving, Kostner was going out and landing no better than a 3loop, and Asada's jumps were stagnating.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I still think if Kim skates well, she'll beat Julia no matter how perfectly Julia skates. Kim just the better skater. Same goes for Kostner. Now Asada I love but her jumps are getting shakier (although not so sure I'd call Julia's great).

I still think those three girls will be tough for Julia to beat. I do think her PCS are going to rise, especially if she does well in the GP for the rest of the season.

I also think the short is no where as good as the long.

Well, Yu-Na, Kostner, Asada is definitely going to be the podium if they all skate near their potential best.

Kostner will honestly need to skate better than she ever has, though, to top Lipnitskaya at her best. Let's not forget that Kostner can pretty much never land more than 5 clean Triples in a LP and she isn't consistent in the SP either. Mao really has her work cut out for her as well, because I can seriously see Lipnitskaya scoring 140 in the LP at the Olympics if she does her very best.

I agree that Lipnitskaya needs to work on the SP, though. It isn't nearly as good as the LP. As it is now she could score a 71 with it if she does a perfect job technically, and that's a great score, but in comparison to a perfect Yu-Na/Asada/Kostner she will be behind. She needs to work on finishing off her moves in the SP, instead of rushing, and skating more outwardly, because right now the program does come off somewhat Junior-ish. I really don't think drawing a heart on the ice with her finger is a good decision either.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, Yu-Na, Kostner, Asada is definitely going to be the podium if they all skate near their potential best.

Kostner will honestly need to skate better than she ever has, though, to top Lipnitskaya at her best. Let's not forget that Kostner can pretty much never land more than 5 clean Triples in a LP and she isn't consistent in the SP either. Mao really has her work cut out for her as well, because I can seriously see Lipnitskaya scoring 140 in the LP at the Olympics if she does her very best.

I agree that Lipnitskaya needs to work on the SP, though. It isn't nearly as good as the LP. As it is now she could score a 71 with it if she does a perfect job technically, and that's a great score, but in comparison to a perfect Yu-Na/Asada/Kostner she will be behind. She needs to work on finishing off her moves in the SP, instead of rushing, and skating more outwardly, because right now the program does come off somewhat Junior-ish. I really don't think drawing a heart on the ice with her finger is a good decision either.

You never know though. Kim never had a perfect competition as a Senior until the Olympics. That could happen with Kostner. To be frank, I think if there's a skater that should really give Kim some pause, its Kostner. If she had skated that Bolero clean....

EricRohmer

On the Ice

I think bekalc likes Mao. There is no pretending.
I have ever doubted once whether or not bekalc is a fake yunafan. (lol)
Because s/he sometimes would post comments which favor Mao than Yuna at GS & FSU. :)