Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies Long Program Skate Canada 2013

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, from what I was able to see of Julia and Gracie through feed freezes, I think the final result came out correctly. While Akiko is my preference as a skater due to exquisite maturity, Julia just out-technicalled everybody and it was a lovely skate. I agree with whoever above said her program is more likeable since gratuitous hyperflexibility moves were banished. Gracie made too many mistakes to come out more than bronze medal in this.

ETA: I have now changed my mind and believe that Gracie's SP is salvageable, it's her LP that needs replacing. And I don't like her new costume much more than the pink one. Gracie: Get Thee to Vera Wang.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am always baffled by Gold's overscored PCS and always feel that I am watching a completely different skater from the judges. Guess the judges have drank all the hype kool-aid around this kid. :disapp:

tulosai

Record Breaker
She is getting generous PCS from judges. Her problem is she isn't landing her jumps.

No disagreement from me but that doesn't mean her PCS need no improvement, just because the judges are being generous. The whole point of my post is she can't land jumps when it counts.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie needs to land her jumps under pressure simple as that. She got 62 points with an error filled program.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!She DID it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Gracie needs a choreographer and music that suits her. Her music is way to big and all she's doing is skating around and jumping. I'm a bit surprised at frank, guess he needs more time>

???

There was constant upper body movement throughout and she used her arms quite well.

Selene

On the Ice
I think Gracie's going to be like Mirai at this point. Can't hold a lead, because there's too much pressure, but she sure can skate when people have taken her out of the running.

She can't skate when any pressure is on her. She folds. The standing ovation and huge score for Lipnitskaia obviously spooked her.

The thing is, if she had nailed her jumps, she would have beat Lipnitskaia. She got better PCS than her with that mess of a LP.

lilshorty

On the Ice
I feel sorry for Gracie that she didn't have the skate that she wanted, but at least she medaled and still has a chance to make the final. And I like her costume better than the first one. It's much more suitable for an 18 year old imo.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I must say I really agree with all of Phil Hersh's tweets on Ladies Long:

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 2m

What we have learned after first two GPs about US women: @AshWagner2010 clearly No. 1, @GraceEGold No. 2. Can Zawadzki challenge Gracie?
Expand
Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 6m

@GraceEGold came apart midway, then recovered, likely third overall.
Expand

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 13m

Lipnitskaia was brilliant and definitely 15

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 14m

Stunning technical performance by Lipnitskaia, but all at same tempo with expressionless mien. Still will be hard to beat

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 23m

There is a mesmerizing quality (charm?) about Suzuki. Brava!

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 32m

That music is like a 10,000-pound weight on a terrific, lighter-than-air skater like Gao.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie's only problem is that she missed some of her jumps. There' s no need to start over with anything. She can win with this program and this choreography.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!She DID it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

:laugh:

Happy for you both. Congratulations! To Akiko and Gracie too.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Agreed!

I must say I really agree with all of Phil Hersh's tweets on Ladies Long:

What we have learned after first two GPs about US women: @AshWagner2010 clearly No. 1, @GraceEGold No. 2. Can Zawadzki challenge Gracie?
Expand
Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 6m

@GraceEGold came apart midway, then recovered, likely third overall.
Expand

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 13m

Lipnitskaia was brilliant and definitely 15

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 14m

Stunning technical performance by Lipnitskaia, but all at same tempo with expressionless mien. Still will be hard to beat

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 23m

There is a mesmerizing quality (charm?) about Suzuki. Brava!

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 32m

That music is like a 10,000-pound weight on a terrific, lighter-than-air skater like Gao.

Matilda

Medalist
How on earth does Gracie get only four point less than Akiko in PCS? He spins are fast, but there is no interpretation to speak of, and apart from her speed, her skating skills aren't that terrific either--and let's not even talk about PE in today's performance. I'm ok with the final standings, however--Julia beat Akiko fair and square in TES. But Akiko's was the only performance that really touched me.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel sorry for Gracie that she didn't have the skate that she wanted, but at least she medaled and still has a chance to make the final. And I like her costume better than the first one. It's much more suitable for an 18 year old imo.

Right now it would be best if Gracie doesn't make the GPF. She needs the time to work with Frank.

elif

Medalist
If Gracie can get 62 in PCS, surely Julia should be higher?

I don't understand Gold's PCS but short program there is a 2 point advantage for Gold to Lipnitkaia. Free program its just 1.3 point. Julia's reputation growing I think.

Julia's jumps looking good. More flow out of it. She is getting some +GOE. I just don't understand her lutz. First one has edge deduction, second lutz didn't get.:rolleye: