Right-Handed? Your Hair Reveals It | Golden Skate

Right-Handed? Your Hair Reveals It

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Who knew this!!

If you want to know whether your newborn baby will be right-handed or left-handed, here's a way to tell that is almost fool-proof: Look at the baby's hair. If the hair swirls clockwise, there is a 95 percent chance that the person is right-handed. The curls of lefties and the ambidextrous are equally likely to coil either way.

What does your handedness have to do with your hair? This isn't some goofy New Age idea or parlor game, although it would be fun to try at parties since it also works on adults. Nature News and London's Evening Standard report that researchers from the National Cancer Institute in Frederick, Maryland have determined that one gene might control both hair swirl direction and handedness and in the process explain the divided brain. That has geneticists hunting for a single gene with either "right" or "random" forms. Those who have one or two copies of the "right" version of the gene would be right-handed and have hair that swirls clockwise. Those who have two "random" versions of the gene could be either right- or left-handed and have hair that swirls in either direction.

To arrive at this fascinating conclusion that your hairstyle determines your handedness, researcher Amar Klar of the National Cancer Institute had to be a little underhanded. He surreptitiously checked out the heads and hands of 500 people in airports and shopping malls. Anyone with long hair and those who were bald were not included in his survey.

What do other scientists think of this research? "It's one of the most exciting things [I've seen] in a while," geneticist Ralph Greenspan of the Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, Calif., exclaimed to Nature News. He suggests that a gene causing asymmetric cell division in the young embryo might set up asymmetry throughout the body. Others aren't so sure. Clyde Francks of the University of Oxford in Great Britain thinks there are many genes--not just one--that determine if we're right-handed or left-handed.

This gene hunt could be hard. Some think there may not even be a gene for handedness since two left-handed parents can have a right-handed kid. Or, in a set of identical twins, one could be right-handed and the other left-handed. Aha! Klar thinks he has this one solved. If the children of lefties inherit a "random" gene, they could be either right-handed or left-handed--so it's still genetically governed.

"It is certainly possible to make a very accurate guess at which hand somebody writes with by looking at their head," Klar told London's Evening Standard. "Medically, this is also important as it reveals a lot about how the brain develops and which parts of the body develop along with it. It is actually a very good indicator of brain symmetry." The research could one day help treat diseases caused by abnormalities in brain symmetry like autism, schizophrenia, and dyslexia.

My hair stubornly likes to part on the left - I am a lefty. Hairdressers constantly try to change it - back it goes!

show 42 said:
What happens if your child is born bald? :D 42
One of my cousins was born bald--and with a huge head, she looked like a cute little alien, awww. But I guess you'll have to wait with bated breath until either the baby grows some hair or starts reaching for all the good stuff with one hand or the other--or they might be ambidexterous. And ambihairswirltrous;)

Lad,
Question about identical twins. Aren't they genetically identical too or do I have that wrong?
Rgirl

bronxgirl

Medalist
Rgirl,

Identical twins are genetically identical (clones of each other if you will). Fraternal twins are no more identical than any pair of siblings would be.

Hope this helps.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My two oldest were bald when they were born. The oldest has hair like mine, thin, fine, etc. The second, my son, had a lot of hair but now is balding. My mother had very little hair when she was in her 50's and became so sparse she had to wear a wig. My sister's hair is very similar only not quite as sparse. Chemo didn't help. My younger late sis had a little more hair until after chemo and there were a lot of bald patches that never grew back before she died. My other two girls have quite a bit of hair. The third one was completely gray by the time she was in her mid to late thirties. Like her dad. Coarse and straight.