Free Dance Skate Canada 2013 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Skate Canada 2013

swurvestar

Rinkside
For some reason, I've just noticed this during this comp, but Tessa's shoulders are extremely broad. Maybe it's just her dresses or the way she was sitting or perhaps the camera angles are making her shoulders extremely wide. Maybe she's been hitting the gym extra hard and working on upper body? I don't know, but she just looks really odd to me.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Yeah, she has always had extremely broad shoulders.

For some reason, I've just noticed this during this comp, but Tessa's shoulders are extremely broad. Maybe it's just her dresses or the way she was sitting or perhaps the camera angles are making her shoulders extremely wide. Maybe she's been hitting the gym extra hard and working on upper body? I don't know, but she just looks really odd to me.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Wow, that is so awful. D/W should be selling tickets worldwide. And I have noticed that the lifts always seem unnatural for them; specially with their Carmen program. Those lifts were awful, but I always thought it was because they were so difficult not because she was too heavy. The Japanese fans love Meryl and Charlie and they would continue to love them even if V/M were not in the picture! Even Canadians love D/W, the problem is that there are some extremely obsessive V/M fans.

Nah she is bigger now (Unless the ice rink has shrunk)... She has outgrown Scott. They used to have a much easier time with the lifts.. Now it's almost expected for them to struggle with them. I think the reason the judges hold them up is that they want the sport to have some excitement. It would be boring to the average viewer if the perception was that D/W was far superior (which they are at this point). I think this is why they gifted the 2012 World's to V/M. They wanted them to stick around through the Olympics. You have to remember there are loads of tickets that could be sold to Canadian's, and Canada is a big Figure Skating Country, so they have to look at it from a financial standpoint too. Without the perception that V/M could repeat as Gold medalists think of how much money they would be leaving on the table.

sweetskates1

Medalist
So, you would have them move their lifts to another section of the program? I think the program seems easy relatively speaking. It feels very empty. Are you not disappointed in the technical substance of their FD? I really like W/P BUT their lifts are so simple compared to that of other top teams.

some thoughts...sorry for lenght

and Tessa and Scott...I have some mixed feelings about it all. For me concept and music choice are good, but I was hoping for tango FD for them this year so badly...I've imagined they skating to Por una cabeza or Piazzola's Oblivion tango. I've put them also in some pieces of Ludovico Einaudi like Ancora, Il giorni or A fuoco, but their choice is different and we have to get it...Music is delightful itself, but as in Paul/Islam case it is hard music to interpret, to put some personal, individual feeling into it. From that side I think they're on a good course - choreo may be not packed with some fireworks but that music imo not required them as a obligatory elements, simplicity of movements not means automatically simple dance/choreo, really...
Choreo pays attention for music details, for tempo changings but no for wise placing tech elements for me unfortunately...I knew about 5 sec before their choreo last lift that they won't execute it or won't execute it well/fully - Tessa was exhausted and Scott after two strenght - demanding rotational lifts was probably also out of breath, so when she was upping herself for entry position on that lift I knew it already I was right - her free leg was not well streched and she wasn't stable there. While building choreo their coaches should take into consideration that they are more/less similar in height and create lifts that they could manage properly AND that lifts should be along with the music and placed wisely - they should be able to take a breath between them and prepare themselves. Here we've got 3 lifts (2 rotational and choreo) in the last minute/minute and a half of the dance - for me it will be probably impossible to make them all correctly in time in that dance,but if they want to they should do some hard cardio workout or smthg similar to built their stamina now. Comparing first part of the dance to its second part it's resonable for me that the idea was to build the emotions, feeling, tension up, but why put hard elements so near in the end - I mean that lifts and step sequence right after rotational ones? As what I saw tonight I don't see a logic in that move, they will pull their lungs out doing that lats lift...
Overall, good effort, good impession, mostly good execution, but I'm afraid of that lifts cumulated at the end of a program, if they would be able to skate the whole program clean, give so much emotion and still be able to breathe after, I would be amazed, because that dance has something uniqueness and intimacy in it and I would love to see it skated clean and passionate

To me, Virtue and Moir's first and last lifts looked the same and the two rotational lift s looked the same.

bramweld

Record Breaker
To me, Virtue and Moir's first and last lifts looked the same and the two rotational lift s looked the same.
Their size difference may make it difficult to have spectacular lifts. But their team could get smart an add complexity and richness to other areas of their skating. It's not all about the lifts but the entire package. Look at W/P for example, balance.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I think you have hit the nail on the head - W/P are good overall ice dancers - I just do not think they are the same level as the usual V/M.

Their size difference may make it difficult to have spectacular lifts. But their team could get smart an add complexity and richness to other areas of their skating. It's not all about the lifts but the entire package. Look at W/P for example, balance.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I think you have hit the nail on the head - W/P are good overall ice dancers - I just do not think they are the same level as the usual V/M.

I can tell you one thing though.. watch as soon as V/M retire, W/P scores will shoot up to gold medal contending scores overnight. It's all about money and when it comes to skating, the Canadian fans have deep pockets.

I can tell you one thing though.. watch as soon as V/M retire, W/P scores will shoot up to gold medal contending scores overnight. It's all about money and when it comes to skating, the Canadian fans have deep pockets.

Wait, what? Are you saying that fans of figure skating in Canada take up collections to bribe judges?

apple123

On the Ice
The BS combination have highjacked this thread once again. I feel the usfsa should put you two on their pay-roll. You certainly deserve it.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Wait, what? Are you saying that fans of figure skating in Canada take up collections to bribe judges?

No. The fans are passionate about skating. They pay for tickets, etc. Unlike in America, where the sport has declined. You think Chan gets those scores by coincidence?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I dont know about fans, but the CSA definitely have deep pockets. The most powerful and often corrupt federation in the sport now. I fully expect W&P to win atleast 1 World title and possibly multiple post Sochi with the new support as Canadian #1 (not saying they wont neccessarily deserve it though, they are great skaters, and have been hugely unlucky until now for what its worth).

Yes I think they are good skaters.. And Poje is extremely good looking (can't even mention the things I would do to that man). But I think whether they were good or not they would get the scores just for being Canadian. You notice in every discipline the ISU jacks up a Canadian. Even as horrible as katlyn Osmond is, they still try to hold her up. Remember the ridiculous scores Joannie Roachette used to get? The ISU wants that Canadian and Japanese money.

apple123

On the Ice
Haha, the BS combination do know they are talking BS. Brilliant! BTW, do you get a tax reduction for your volunteer work here?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Could one of you explain how and why TES base levels are almost the same for D/W and V/M even though the former's programs look so much more difficult? If the judges had not made a 1 point deduction, the TES scores would be almost the same too.