Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know

FlattFan

Match Penalty
These low brow attacks are very amusing. It's like you can't come up with witty snark, so you use old faithful, the cat lady put down. Very clever. :) Ashley Wagner has company.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
True, by this time next year she might balloon out beyond all recognition. Luckily for her the Olympics are this year when she is in her prime. :yes:

As for her interpretation of Schindler's List., OK, so she's a little girl not a Holocaust Survivor. She saw a movie that inspired her. I thought she did just fine.

I'm impressed she was inspired by Schindler's list . The costuming was superb. I thought she was very engaging. Timing is everything in life and the Olympics are now! Be where you are...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
15yo girls grow like weed. In 2 months you can go from mosquito bite to elene g.

Timing is everything for these itty bitty girls. I doubt this chic is anywhere near podium at her absolute best. This chic has the same solemn face since mao beat her with 3 triples. She already looks like she got a one way train ticket to auschwitz all the time, so when schinder's list is playing, it doesnt take any facial muscle movement to get into character.

Maybe, maybe not. Michelle Kwan won Worlds at age 15 and, well, you know the rest. I liked Julia's performance very much. And since when does getting into character matter that much under the IJS? The current Queen, Yu Na Kim, is pretty stoic, too.

fairly4

Medalist
my take is Julia has a chance.
the big 3 or top3 is YUNA, MAO, CAROLINA KOSTNER,
After them comes the next batch which could upset 1-or all 3 depending on skates

they are in my opinion
both of the russian ladies whichever 2 makes it to the olympics
adelina, julia, elizaveta

the 2 u.s. ladies primarily

ashley, & graces

2 other japanese ladies

miki, kanako, akiko whomever makes the team

and
possible

kaetlyn

very dark horse i have to see her skate to be sure outside shot zijun li. from what i heard in preview wasn't good. so cup of china will be a test

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
my take is Julia has a chance.
the big 3 or top3 is YUNA, MAO, CAROLINA KOSTNER,
After them comes the next batch which could upset 1-or all 3 depending on skates

they are in my opinion
both of the russian ladies whichever 2 makes it to the olympics
adelina, julia, elizaveta

the 2 u.s. ladies primarily

ashley, & graces

2 other japanese ladies

miki, kanako, akiko whomever makes the team

and
possible

kaetlyn

very dark horse i have to see her skate to be sure outside shot zijun li. from what i heard in preview wasn't good. so cup of china will be a test

I agree with your list, aside from maybe Kaetlyn. Adelina, Julia, Ashley, Gracie, and the Japanese women are all capable of surpassing 200 (~68 + ~132) if absolutely perfect. Carolina has not surpassed that internationally (although she is capable of doing so) and Mao only does so occasionally. From what we have seen so far this season, I think Ashley has the best chance of breaking through because she is relatively steady and has a good reputation with the judges.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I agree with your list, aside from maybe Kaetlyn. Adelina, Julia, Ashley, Gracie, and the Japanese women are all capable of surpassing 200 (~68 + ~132) if absolutely perfect. Carolina has not surpassed that internationally (although she is capable of doing so) and Mao only does so occasionally. From what we have seen so far this season, I think Ashley has the best chance of breaking through because she is relatively steady and has a good reputation with the judges.

I disagree about the Japanese girls, i.e. Kanako. I think the highest chance to become 3d has Ashley because of her consistency + good presentation. Then comes Julia. Gracie could be easily on the podium if she were clean in both pograms. I don't believe in Adelina. She has good PCS but bad jumps + she is inconsistent

Last edited by a moderator:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Kanako would have to get through 2 programs with absolutely no < calls to crack the 200 barrier. Good luck on that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kanako would have to get through 2 programs with absolutely no < calls to crack the 200 barrier. Good luck on that.

I don't think any of the skaters will break 200, just that they could hypothetically with their content. Ashley could do it if she can stay healthy and get her spin levels up.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Ashley can keep doing the new 3-3s she is doing, stop underrotating jumps, and improve her spins, she is a big factor in Sochi IMO. Not a threat to a healthy Kim, but a threat to anyone else.

TheCzar

On the Ice
There is an unbelievable amount of criticism against Julia on here, and not all constructive at that. She's 15 and developing. What do you guys expect?
Skaters do not just come straight out of juniors skating like Kwan. Even Michelle had to go back to the drawing boards and grow more as an artist after her senior debut.

All I can say is that after watching her Free Programme at SC, Julia is on the right track. People seem to expect an Oscar-award winning re-interpretation of Schindler's List on ice, but even then- Julia would have been playing a three year old girl. She skated well to the music, and the stoicism of her performance lent itself to the overall program. I'd much rather that than some superficial, cheesy 'acting' just to improve on artistry (which I personally think you are either born with or you're not.)

Julia is skating at her age level, but definitely at a higher range. You cannot judge a fifteen year old girl in a blink of an eye. Her career has barely just begun. Claws away people. And while Gracie Gold's situation isn't any different- it must be said that Julia has more artistic range at 15 than Gold, who is three years older and really- an adult in comparison.

Could she challenge Asada, Kostner and Kim? Yes- technically, but artistically- you never know. Someone has pointed out already that skating on home ice, to a piece that resonates with the contemporary social issues in Russia can help Julia take the crowd with her. THAT is a big advantage. However, the ice is slippery. Things can happen. Asada could fall, Kostner could bomb, Kim could miss two Lutzes (it has happened before). If one, or all of the above happens- cushioned by her TES, a clean Lipnitskaia can knock on the door for bronze.

I wish genuine figure skating fans could minimise unnecessary snarkiness and just wish these young girls an injury-free career. I'd hate to stand on a pedestal, but some of the things that are said on forums can be taken as cyber bullying. Who died and made you all Phil Hersh?

AlexaD

Rinkside
I agree with all said above. ^

I also want to say that I LOVED her program. It moved me in a way that I haven't been moved by figure skating in while. I've been a skating fan since 1997. I thought Julia's interpretation was great - her haunting first look, her spot on costume, her spins - my goodness, and she is 15? Can't wait to see how she develops.

Seems to me that people should be impressed by a talent at that age, or at the very least respect it, rather than picking her apart.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Have you seen the Gold thread? The criticism was a lot worse there than here.
It was worth pointing out that they found her to be expressive and all that nonsense like she's Meryl Streep or somebody. The music and her general demeanor carried her. She doesn't have to do much. Kinda like Kristen Stewart. Same face different role. Just happen to have the correct role to fit the face.

Gold is a worse performer. But she has SS and jumps that are redeeming.

minze

Medalist
The stars of the past are leaving the scene in about four months, so some skating fans need new favorites. So Julia give a very good performance and she has gained many new fans. But, I just think people saying she can challenge for a medal are been a bit premature.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Just remember that Anne Frank was 14 when she wrote the majority of the diary that has moved millions of readers.

I am disappointed with the dismissive attitude people are taking towards Julia for her skating/performance on account of her age. One can say that she might fail to interpret the music 100% (although I would like actual reasons in thinking so rather than empty declarations), but there were moments where she definitely hit the right tone and expression. She was certainly better than 17-year-old Gracie and her Life is Beautiful... (sorry, I do like Gracie, but.)

Yes, Anne Frank was 14, but she was living life and death-EXPERIENCING WHAT IS UNFATHOMABLE TO JULIA AT 15 IN A SKATING RINK. AND LIKELY TO YOU, ASSUMING YOU ARE AN ADULT. This music was interpreted very well by Wylie, he was an adult, he certainly did not live this horrible WW2 but he was much more mature and very intelligent. Witt was a German adult when she skated this, in the country that began this Holocaust. There is much guilt still in Germany. Julia outjumps most skaters, but Life is Beautiful soundtrack was something teenage Gracie could watch and relate to-the movie, the music was not beyond her.

Julia has no special musicality. I liked that Tara skated to music she "got" at 14. Skaters are immature by and large -closeted teens in cold rink day after day. Julias arms are the same annoying style of other Russian ladies. I read an interview where she was asked, does this have special meaning, and she said "no not really." This music/movie is sacrosanct to jew/survivors-some still alive. She has flow issues, small jumps, as she is tiny, so what makes her special is what seems to be a killer attitude, flexibility, and currently, rotated triples/combos. She is not nervous. Gracie is, and if she skated like in practice itwould be between her and YuNa as they are jumpers with enough artistry to get the levels.

Tuk might interpret this better, if we are flouting Russian babies. As for Kwan in Salome, it was technically perfect and she was a sponge- great actress. But I always felt Lu Chen deserved that gold. A woman who really understood her music. Salome was not something Michelle understood.How could she? She was at 16 a very apt imitator of Frank and Lori.

I would have preferred Julia wait a few years to tackle this music-surely something age appropriate/uplifting would be better choice. Watching Witt skte to this, one notices her spirit, the jumps don't matter. Julia is a top talented skater right now under IJS. She rotates and has insane flexibility. Only Sasha comes close in her I spin-as she invented it. Julia may run off with a medal in Sochi, but to think it will be gold if YuNa is in good form is preposterous.

I recall the hoopla when tiny Tara won and age range was changed. I for one want to see a woman win. I'd love to see Caro, Akiko, Mao, or Ashley on podium. Or Kiira Or even newcomer Osmond as she has such a great performance level.

She will get home turf advantage, but no way will judges give her a higher place than YuNa. If she beats a flawed Caro, Akiko, Mao, Ashley, Osmond, then it really is about rotating 3/3 combos now and nothing more. I think that is killing the sport. Ladies is synonymous with stunning laybacks, long beautiful spirals, fast attractive spins. It is strange that the judges might go for Caro, unless YuNa is there. If Julia or radio are there, well jumps win the day. Chan falls but his SS win the day. Sometimes I get so confused as to what is most impt in this system. It sometimes comes down to difficult transitions in an out of jumps. People watching are unaware that jumps must now "appear" to come out of nowhere. Studying protocol sheets or reading here the breakdown by the technical folks is necessary in many competitions if not al to really understand. So if Julia wins it says clean triples/combos are what is valued? But if a flawed chan wins, it is speed out of nowhere-superior skating skills? No wonder people stop watching-singles esp.

I wish the Russian girls well. Tuk, Julia, Adelina. Yelena, are all impressive and there are more. But only Liza displays a maturity in her skating. She is genuine. Julia simply did a difficult program with music in the background. Of course she can skate to it s a non-jew, as a Russian. They see their consistent child able to rotate as she is small and thin...this is a stab at her appearing more grown up- a lady. She is a child and I want to see a woman win.

I hope the podium consists of great skates from Ashley, Akiko, Mao, Caro, YuNa, Kiira. These skaters have achieved balance and completeness and great beauty wen they are clean and performing, they are all mature artits. This is what I like ladies to be- polished artists like Samantha Cesario. . Julia may make bronze if she skates like this and others falter, but her PCS should not be that close to the skaters mentioned above. I am not thrilled about Radionova's scores either. She is so juniorish. I wish they would make the age for Worlds and Olympics and GP events 16 years old, for obvious reasons. The sport needs to show beautiful mature women. Again, short, skinny kids have their day-usually two years and then they are done if Caucasian. I wonder if ISU judges are getting tired of Asian domination in singles as the " little people" lower to the ice have an advantage. Caucasan women have different bodies. And after 17, they are women.

I think of French star Mae Berenice. Grateful for diversity but I know her body has grown past what is possible for a Mao or Akiko or Sasha or Radionove/Julia. Julia will likely have another spurt-outwards, and she could still grow upwards. Russia desperately wants a medal. This is their best hope- either sexualizing a child with costume like Tuk at 14,(remember the so sexy green dress in her sp I think) two seasons ago. or giving music that screams "I am an adult artist." Except the fact is, she is not. Witt's performance still makes me cry. Her angst is palpable and genuine. It is music for a sensitive adult- almost reverent.

That said, I enjoyed Julia skating more on TV where I could see it better. In person, she may have something that does not translate. But she had no facial expressions whatsoever. How is it possible to hear that music and not feel deepest emotions? She is a very good skater but a child, and I hope we do not go back to that in FS world/Oly Champs.

ciocio

On the Ice
No one is jealous of a 15yo Russian girl. To be frank, she's a sad little girl in a declining sport. In a few years, all she could hope for is running a zamboni machine in some sad town in sad Russia. Check back and see what Flatt will be doing then. See who needs to be jealous.

I hate the way skating is going, and this girl is the example of all things wrong in this system.

This made my day! It´s amazing!!!!:laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::popcorn:

Carmen95

Rinkside
To be honest, when I first saw Julia about 1 year ago I was impressed, but I did not really like her... Ok, now I like her, because she actually improveda bit from last season, but she still has a lot of work to do... Jumps, musicality (kinda believe she got it somewhere inside ;) ), over the half of her spins are travelling heavy and this overused flexibility display...
I know, the flexibility is her signature and I enjoy watching it, but it is to much, as in her step sequence, where she rotates a few times and pulls her leg up a bit, that looks... akward...
And I agree on skateluvrs point with the age - if you send 14 year old girls to Senior competitions but 18 years olds are still in Juniors...
I am also extremly shocked that they send 14 (radionova)/15 year old girls to senior events!! In pairs and ice dance, I get it, because there is one who is at senior age, but Julia and Elena are overhyped and I don´t think it can be to good... I would rather like to see them holding back a bit, coaches polishing them for another season or two and then send them out... No doubt about young skaters winning titles before, but I am feeling that way - they are young!
By the way, how old do you have to be to be able to go to the Olympics? Not quite informed about that...

To Julias LP music - I think she really understands what it is, you really get that with 15... and there is still time to work that out, season just begun...