Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I want to hype her a little! She is so consistent:eek::eek::eek:
Just watched her at SC..I was nervous when she skated but she was clean. I'm so happy that finally we have a good senior lady! Who is still good after Juniors:laugh:
I don't think she will be on the podium of the Olys, but after this she SHOULD be sent there AND if she skates like this she should be 4 or smth)))) Haaaaaappyyyyy!)

prettykeys

Medalist
Yes, I like her too. But there is a Fan Fests subforum for this kind of thing.

Edit: Oh jeez, there's already a thread in there for her and it's at the very top.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It was ridiculous to see how much she was being underrated after last season. I told the naysayers how wrong they were but as usual with certain individuals they wouldnt listen. Julia has lots of areas in her skating I admit I dont like much right now, and she has alot to improve, but she is super consistent and that will take her a long way. All this talk about where people would place with all skating cleanly in ladies events by other posters is frankly a joke, as a lady singles skater going clean is an anamoly, not a norm. For mot of todays top 15 something like 3 obvious errors is a good competition. Julia is the only one out there today besides Yu Na who is likely to skate cleanly.

She is a lock for the Russian Olympic team IMO. Even if she had a rare bad skate at Nationals they would give her inflated PCS and GOE (despite those not being her strength internationally) to preserve her spot. Adelina, Liza, and the others are fighting for only 1 spot.

As for the Games she will probably be top 6, and could sneak in for a medal (gold is very unlikely mind you) if others falter, as they probably will.

Selene

On the Ice
She is a fierce competitor. You can see that she thinks she's the best and won't settle for second place. I don't like her small jumps, but she is a machine with her consistency. And her spins are the best in the world.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Very impressive. She reminds me of Sasha Cohen at that age, although of course more consistent. Very expressive and mature. She needs to fine-tune some stuff and I don't like the way these Russians move their arms and hands, it creates poor aesthetic lines (although Julia seems better at it than some of the others, and that's really a small point that is never going to affect a skater's standing in these competitions -- it just bugs me as a dancer). But overall excellent.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What I would like to see her improve in coming years:

1. Bigger jumps. I think the other aspects of her jumps besides the lack of height, distance, and sometimes flow out is very good, and her jumps still get pretty good GOE.

2. Not so much standing in place and doing flexability moves over and over. Needs more variance in her c horeography, although I liked her programs more this year than the past.

3. Needs to feel the music better.

4. Needs more overall speed, power, and ice coverage.

I do think she can improve in all these areas.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was an amazing long program! I only wish she were a little older and more seasoned, so that she could challenge Yu Na. I want to see a competition, not a coronation.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I :love: Julia! She casts a spell and leaves me breathless. What a stunning and consistent skater! I echo crazydreamer who said she is reminiscent of a young Sasha Cohen except Lipnitskaia can jump and compete so much better than Cohen. Congratulations on a well deserved victory, Julia, 2013 Skate Canada Champion! :yay:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I :love: Julia! She casts a spell and leaves me breathless. What a stunning and consistent skater! I echo crazydreamer who said she is reminiscent of a young Sasha Cohen except Lipnitskaia can jump and compete so much better than Cohen. Congratulations on a well deserved victory, Julia, 2013 Skate Canada Champion! :yay:

What I like is that she's clearly trying to depart from the Sasha clone thing, I hated how her old choreographer kept on giving her Sasha's music. I'm not in love with the short, but this long program is really a winner. Just a beautiful program, that takes advantage of her youth.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heh i have been saying for last few years she got 'IT' (She and Liza should make the team I think), the problem was with Morozov's choreography who totally abused her flexibility while didn't allow her room to express/find her style that had been the biggest concern. People have said she is robotic and boring, I think these are work in progress. I personally always felt she does have an innate musicality that is still to be polished and guided and far from hopeless some have claimed. I remember a kungfu panda program she did as junior years ago which was super cute that shows abundance of personality and style. (love the braids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOyZc7Wur8

I like that fighting spirit she has, her honest interviews, and the fact she is not one of those princesses type of skaters! That p*ssed off look loosing to Mao at cup of China Kiss and Cry was one of season highlights. She was injured later half of last season, but seem to have recuperated. I love her FS here, more deserving of the 130+ score, no one can mess with TES thank goodness. A strong contender for GPF for sure, go Julia!

thinspread

On the Ice
^^ OMG that's so cute! She killed me by just standing there waiting for the music. :laugh:

I too like her LP more than the SP. Amazing how much she has improved over a year. Only cocern for me is whether she can maintain her jumps in the future. For now, if she can get some more PCS, I think she can be a contender for an Oly medal.

brightphoton

Medalist
Wow that girl is flexible, even more than Caroline Zhang was in her prime.

I was especially impressed by this spiral. Even Caroline could only do it in exhibition, and had to hunch her back a little to get to the position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOyZc7Wur8&t=1m01s

versus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOOYBZfrRA0&t=1m26s
(well not quite, I wanted the same spot in her 2007 exhibition from nationals, but the video is geoblocked for me >:|)

Julia should really coin her spiral, like Zhang's pearl. Otherwise as an older woman, she might be become bitter like Ruh that no spin was ever named after her.

jatale

On the Ice
Very impressive performances (especially the FS) by Julia. However, her body is still that of a child not an adult, so who knows how she'll skate once she fills out?

Icey

Record Breaker
IMO Her immaturity brings a special quality to her long program that probably would not be there otherwise. Very poignant and moving. The costuming, the music, most of the choreography are brilliant and perfectly matched to her. Who was the wise person behind this is something I would like to know?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
IMO Her immaturity brings a special quality to her long program that probably would not be there otherwise. Very poignant and moving. The costuming, the music, most of the choreography are brilliant and perfectly matched to her. Who was the wise person behind this is something I would like to know?

She chose that music :) And Averbuch set the program..

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Julia says they have learnt new difficult spin variations. That she'll try them this year if she will make them on practices and feel sure about them! She said she did one variation on practice on SC and the judges clapped her

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Julia says they have learnt new difficult spin variations. That she'll try them this year if she will make them on practices and feel sure about them! She said she did one variation on practice on SC and the judges clapped her

Is there any videos anywhere? Would love to see them...

hurrah

Medalist
I just finished watching Julia's FP again on high-def television, and honestly, her jumps are so small and she's just muscling through them. She's really lucky to be so tiny. I watched Gracie right after and she's really a far superior jumper. But of course, Julia's upper body strength and flexibility is just amazing.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Another hyped up Russian girl whose jumps are so questionable it is ridiculous some are calling the next skating god.

This girl is consistent. That's all. Watch her performance again and tell me she understands what she is skating to. It is clever music and she goes thru the motion like a child and people said she is now expressive. What a joke!