Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
her step sequence is amazing! love her, cant stop watching her free skate, i think it was magical

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
There is an unbelievable amount of criticism against Julia on here, and not all constructive at that. She's 15 and developing. What do you guys expect?
Skaters do not just come straight out of juniors skating like Kwan. Even Michelle had to go back to the drawing boards and grow more as an artist after her senior debut.

All I can say is that after watching her Free Programme at SC, Julia is on the right track. People seem to expect an Oscar-award winning re-interpretation of Schindler's List on ice, but even then- Julia would have been playing a three year old girl. She skated well to the music, and the stoicism of her performance lent itself to the overall program. I'd much rather that than some superficial, cheesy 'acting' just to improve on artistry (which I personally think you are either born with or you're not.)

Julia is skating at her age level, but definitely at a higher range. You cannot judge a fifteen year old girl in a blink of an eye. Her career has barely just begun. Claws away people. And while Gracie Gold's situation isn't any different- it must be said that Julia has more artistic range at 15 than Gold, who is three years older and really- an adult in comparison.

Could she challenge Asada, Kostner and Kim? Yes- technically, but artistically- you never know. Someone has pointed out already that skating on home ice, to a piece that resonates with the contemporary social issues in Russia can help Julia take the crowd with her. THAT is a big advantage. However, the ice is slippery. Things can happen. Asada could fall, Kostner could bomb, Kim could miss two Lutzes (it has happened before). If one, or all of the above happens- cushioned by her TES, a clean Lipnitskaia can knock on the door for bronze.

I wish genuine figure skating fans could minimise unnecessary snarkiness and just wish these young girls an injury-free career. I'd hate to stand on a pedestal, but some of the things that are said on forums can be taken as cyber bullying. Who died and made you all Phil Hersh?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, Anne Frank was 14, but she was living life and death-EXPERIENCING WHAT IS UNFATHOMABLE TO JULIA AT 15 IN A SKATING RINK. AND LIKELY TO YOU, ASSUMING YOU ARE AN ADULT. This music was interpreted very well by Wylie, he was an adult, he certainly did not live this horrible WW2 but he was much more mature and very intelligent. Witt was a German adult when she skated this, in the country that began this Holocaust. There is much guilt still in Germany. Julia outjumps most skaters, but Life is Beautiful soundtrack was something teenage Gracie could watch and relate to-the movie, the music was not beyond her.

Julia has no special musicality. I liked that Tara skated to music she "got" at 14. Skaters are immature by and large -closeted teens in cold rink day after day. Julias arms are the same annoying style of other Russian ladies. I read an interview where she was asked, does this have special meaning, and she said "no not really." This music/movie is sacrosanct to jew/survivors-some still alive. She has flow issues, small jumps, as she is tiny, so what makes her special is what seems to be a killer attitude, flexibility, and currently, rotated triples/combos. She is not nervous. Gracie is, and if she skated like in practice itwould be between her and YuNa as they are jumpers with enough artistry to get the levels.

Tuk might interpret this better, if we are flouting Russian babies. As for Kwan in Salome, it was technically perfect and she was a sponge- great actress. But I always felt Lu Chen deserved that gold. A woman who really understood her music. Salome was not something Michelle understood.How could she? She was at 16 a very apt imitator of Frank and Lori.

I would have preferred Julia wait a few years to tackle this music-surely something age appropriate/uplifting would be better choice. Watching Witt skte to this, one notices her spirit, the jumps don't matter. Julia is a top talented skater right now under IJS. She rotates and has insane flexibility. Only Sasha comes close in her I spin-as she invented it. Julia may run off with a medal in Sochi, but to think it will be gold if YuNa is in good form is preposterous.

I recall the hoopla when tiny Tara won and age range was changed. I for one want to see a woman win. I'd love to see Caro, Akiko, Mao, or Ashley on podium. Or Kiira Or even newcomer Osmond as she has such a great performance level.

She will get home turf advantage, but no way will judges give her a higher place than YuNa. If she beats a flawed Caro, Akiko, Mao, Ashley, Osmond, then it really is about rotating 3/3 combos now and nothing more. I think that is killing the sport. Ladies is synonymous with stunning laybacks, long beautiful spirals, fast attractive spins. It is strange that the judges might go for Caro, unless YuNa is there. If Julia or radio are there, well jumps win the day. Chan falls but his SS win the day. Sometimes I get so confused as to what is most impt in this system. It sometimes comes down to difficult transitions in an out of jumps. People watching are unaware that jumps must now "appear" to come out of nowhere. Studying protocol sheets or reading here the breakdown by the technical folks is necessary in many competitions if not al to really understand. So if Julia wins it says clean triples/combos are what is valued? But if a flawed chan wins, it is speed out of nowhere-superior skating skills? No wonder people stop watching-singles esp.

I wish the Russian girls well. Tuk, Julia, Adelina. Yelena, are all impressive and there are more. But only Liza displays a maturity in her skating. She is genuine. Julia simply did a difficult program with music in the background. Of course she can skate to it s a non-jew, as a Russian. They see their consistent child able to rotate as she is small and thin...this is a stab at her appearing more grown up- a lady. She is a child and I want to see a woman win.

I hope the podium consists of great skates from Ashley, Akiko, Mao, Caro, YuNa, Kiira. These skaters have achieved balance and completeness and great beauty wen they are clean and performing, they are all mature artits. This is what I like ladies to be- polished artists like Samantha Cesario. . Julia may make bronze if she skates like this and others falter, but her PCS should not be that close to the skaters mentioned above. I am not thrilled about Radionova's scores either. She is so juniorish. I wish they would make the age for Worlds and Olympics and GP events 16 years old, for obvious reasons. The sport needs to show beautiful mature women. Again, short, skinny kids have their day-usually two years and then they are done if Caucasian. I wonder if ISU judges are getting tired of Asian domination in singles as the " little people" lower to the ice have an advantage. Caucasan women have different bodies. And after 17, they are women.

I think of French star Mae Berenice. Grateful for diversity but I know her body has grown past what is possible for a Mao or Akiko or Sasha or Radionove/Julia. Julia will likely have another spurt-outwards, and she could still grow upwards. Russia desperately wants a medal. This is their best hope- either sexualizing a child with costume like Tuk at 14,(remember the so sexy green dress in her sp I think) two seasons ago. or giving music that screams "I am an adult artist." Except the fact is, she is not. Witt's performance still makes me cry. Her angst is palpable and genuine. It is music for a sensitive adult- almost reverent.

That said, I enjoyed Julia skating more on TV where I could see it better. In person, she may have something that does not translate. But she had no facial expressions whatsoever. How is it possible to hear that music and not feel deepest emotions? She is a very good skater but a child, and I hope we do not go back to that in FS world/Oly Champs.

I disagree about Witt's rendition. Witt certainly had the dramatic stares but she still had that sexiness, that flirtatin whihc hardly seemed appropriate. Maybe her curves and clingy dress didn't help; really little Julia has understated elegance but yes herjumps are small because she is a girl folks she is a girl! Now she must hope she doesn't get affected by puberty too much.

lavender

Record Breaker
I just hope she sticks around. If she wins the Olympics will she stay and grow. This is really my concern and why I'm very reserve with rooting for her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Yes, but what are TRULY her chances of winning the Olympics? Mao beat her last year with THREE clean triples in her LP and Mao with a fall and two < calls had a higher LP score that Julia already this season. (Yes, I know you can't compare across events, but....) Unless Mao has a complete meltdown, there is NO WAY Julia can beat her. Yuna is the most consistent skater there is right now and she flies up and down the ice and into the air. Unless she doesn't show up, Yuna will beat Julia. Kostner is the "weak link" of the top 3 skaters unless her consistency improves and is likely the vulnerable one that is a favorite, but don't expect her to give up her spot without a fight...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I just hope she sticks around. If she wins the Olympics will she stay and grow. This is really my concern and why I'm very reserve with rooting for her.

of course she won't win and of course she stays :) she has a bright future ahead

lavender

Record Breaker
Yes, Anne Frank was 14, but she was living life and death-EXPERIENCING WHAT IS UNFATHOMABLE TO JULIA AT 15 IN A SKATING RINK. AND LIKELY TO YOU, ASSUMING YOU ARE AN ADULT. This music was interpreted very well by Wylie, he was an adult, he certainly did not live this horrible WW2 but he was much more mature and very intelligent. Witt was a German adult when she skated this, in the country that began this Holocaust. There is much guilt still in Germany. Julia outjumps most skaters, but Life is Beautiful soundtrack was something teenage Gracie could watch and relate to-the movie, the music was not beyond her.

Julia has no special musicality. I liked that Tara skated to music she "got" at 14. Skaters are immature by and large -closeted teens in cold rink day after day. Julias arms are the same annoying style of other Russian ladies. I read an interview where she was asked, does this have special meaning, and she said "no not really." This music/movie is sacrosanct to jew/survivors-some still alive. She has flow issues, small jumps, as she is tiny, so what makes her special is what seems to be a killer attitude, flexibility, and currently, rotated triples/combos. She is not nervous. Gracie is, and if she skated like in practice itwould be between her and YuNa as they are jumpers with enough artistry to get the levels.

Tuk might interpret this better, if we are flouting Russian babies. As for Kwan in Salome, it was technically perfect and she was a sponge- great actress. But I always felt Lu Chen deserved that gold. A woman who really understood her music. Salome was not something Michelle understood.How could she? She was at 16 a very apt imitator of Frank and Lori.

I would have preferred Julia wait a few years to tackle this music-surely something age appropriate/uplifting would be better choice. Watching Witt skte to this, one notices her spirit, the jumps don't matter. Julia is a top talented skater right now under IJS. She rotates and has insane flexibility. Only Sasha comes close in her I spin-as she invented it. Julia may run off with a medal in Sochi, but to think it will be gold if YuNa is in good form is preposterous.

I recall the hoopla when tiny Tara won and age range was changed. I for one want to see a woman win. I'd love to see Caro, Akiko, Mao, or Ashley on podium. Or Kiira Or even newcomer Osmond as she has such a great performance level.

She will get home turf advantage, but no way will judges give her a higher place than YuNa. If she beats a flawed Caro, Akiko, Mao, Ashley, Osmond, then it really is about rotating 3/3 combos now and nothing more. I think that is killing the sport. Ladies is synonymous with stunning laybacks, long beautiful spirals, fast attractive spins. It is strange that the judges might go for Caro, unless YuNa is there. If Julia or radio are there, well jumps win the day. Chan falls but his SS win the day. Sometimes I get so confused as to what is most impt in this system. It sometimes comes down to difficult transitions in an out of jumps. People watching are unaware that jumps must now "appear" to come out of nowhere. Studying protocol sheets or reading here the breakdown by the technical folks is necessary in many competitions if not al to really understand. So if Julia wins it says clean triples/combos are what is valued? But if a flawed chan wins, it is speed out of nowhere-superior skating skills? No wonder people stop watching-singles esp.

I wish the Russian girls well. Tuk, Julia, Adelina. Yelena, are all impressive and there are more.
But only Liza displays a maturity in her skating. She is genuine. Julia simply did a difficult program with music in the background. Of course she can skate to it s a non-jew, as a Russian. They see their consistent child able to rotate as she is small and thin...this is a stab at her appearing more grown up- a lady. She is a child and I want to see a woman win.

I hope the podium consists of great skates from Ashley, Akiko, Mao, Caro, YuNa, Kiira. These skaters have achieved balance and completeness and great beauty wen they are clean and performing, they are all mature artits. This is what I like ladies to be- polished artists like Samantha Cesario. . Julia may make bronze if she skates like this and others falter, but her PCS should not be that close to the skaters mentioned above. I am not thrilled about Radionova's scores either. She is so juniorish. I wish they would make the age for Worlds and Olympics and GP events 16 years old, for obvious reasons. The sport needs to show beautiful mature women. Again, short, skinny kids have their day-usually two years and then they are done if Caucasian. I wonder if ISU judges are getting tired of Asian domination in singles as the " little people" lower to the ice have an advantage. Caucasan women have different bodies. And after 17, they are women.

I think of French star Mae Berenice. Grateful for diversity but I know her body has grown past what is possible for a Mao or Akiko or Sasha or Radionove/Julia. Julia will likely have another spurt-outwards, and she could still grow upwards. Russia desperately wants a medal. This is their best hope- either sexualizing a child with costume like Tuk at 14,(remember the so sexy green dress in her sp I think) two seasons ago. or giving music that screams "I am an adult artist." Except the fact is, she is not. Witt's performance still makes me cry. Her angst is palpable and genuine. It is music for a sensitive adult- almost reverent.

That said, I enjoyed Julia skating more on TV where I could see it better. In person, she may have something that does not translate. But she had no facial expressions whatsoever. How is it possible to hear that music and not feel deepest emotions? She is a very good skater but a child, and I hope we do not go back to that in FS world/Oly Champs.

I agree most of your post and I actually would have be just fine with Lu Chen winning that year. It would be nice if another women to won like the last 2 Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Julia needs to focus on what she does best and not try to be a "woman" at the Olympics. It's perpetuated by people complaining that she skates like a girl, and she's juniorish and skaters like her and Radionova are just jumping beans.

Like duh, these are teenagers. And if they didn't jump well they would be buried. I don't get what people expect from skaters like Julia.

guanchi

On the Ice
I think she can win silver if Mao and Caro both stumble (an uninjured Yuna may be beyond reach).
Add some politicking and wining and dining of the judges, ha- who knows?!? Sochi is a resort area, there will be many powerful and wealthy officials there just to chill and relax. May all the judges be supplied with the best blini, vodka, and caviar lol!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think she can win silver if Mao and Caro both stumble (an uninjured Yuna may be beyond reach).
Add some politicking and wining and dining of the judges, ha- who knows?!? Sochi is a resort area, there will be many powerful and wealthy officials there just to chill and relax. May all the judges be supplied with the best blini, vodka, and caviar lol!

This is funny but likely. Corruption is everywhere, sadly.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I wonder if many have such a strong perception of what IS great skating (within certain parameters of maturity, expressiveness, projection, style, technical precision demonstrated by great/legendary skater A, B, C etc.) they may be missing out what is so special right in front of them, which are the rare moments when the intangibles simply clicks that can never be replicated due to time/age factor. Hanyu's Romeo & Juliet will never be the same 2 years on, even with the same choreography or music. It may win him medals, but emotionally and intellectually from an audience's perspective, the feel and the experience of it will never be the same. What made it valuable beyond movements were the time sensitivity factor that is unique to Hanyu's personal insights/perspective/characteristics at that moment in time, ie/ brashness, eagerness, freshness, vitality and recklessness of youth.

Julia's Schindler's List is perfect for her age right now. A maturer expressive version of it a decade from now may able to tick everyone's boxes, but alot of the fresh appealing quality would have been simply lost forever. Let's say Kostner does this program in her red costume seducing the judges with her mature performance, the meaning and feel of it would be entirely different (I find this idea morbid actually.. must wipe out image!!) The girl in red costume wouldn't have worked conceptually or thematically. These are among many of the reason I am not a great fan of remakes, or one formula applies to all. Time are finite for a reason, and it is a critical factor when value anything in arts. It implies authenticity of meaning, purpose, of capture/freeze moment of originality, a spark of lightening. I have always felt there's something inevitably contrived, lazy and depressing about trying to replicate lost glories rather than moving forward braving new frontiers. Progress deserve extra marks in competition as well as in life, but seems to have been neglected under the COP system. However from the way the judges are marking it, I wonder if they are aware of this already.

IMO Julia was successful in conveying the intention of the music with thoughts and clarity, that maybe naively simple but were also effective. The intangible quality of her performance were also responsible for bringing her a standing ovation at Skate Canada - no Russian in the audience needed - that is very impressive. Age 15, 2nd year into seniors, she is progressing and evolving nicely. Great job!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Very intuitive response OS. You almost convince me this is right music for her now. Except that she skated it with no expression. Audience rose for jumps, flawless skating -for Julia enough reason there to stand when others faltered. Julia is a whiz kid. I like this better than Radio's programs/costumes/music. But Yelena is clearly feeling her music.Age appropriate. Yulia should skate to uplifting music. Let her grow up. I have great love for Schindler's List, the story, movie, the score.

Go watch Wylie or even Witt. Understanding, almost reveret performances by mature skaters. But it would have made the difference if Julia had a reason for choosing this. I think it was chosen for her. I saw no interpretation. This score is the tears of God on violin. Most skaters, esp CoP competitive skaters would be careful approaching it. I feel the Jews love this story deeply. I could see Akiko or Ashley attempting it, or Carolina. Not many skaters would try-too heart wrenching if you are a deep person.

Maybe a visit to Auswitz museum and pictures of unlucky children-something to move her toward some real interpretation. It is for me sacrosanct.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Maybe a visit to Auswitz museum and pictures of unlucky children-something to move her toward some real interpretation. It is for me sacrosanct.

I guess the question is whether she should interpret the story behind the music, or if it enough to just skate beautifully to beautiful music. I think she accomplished the latter, but I didn't get the sense that she interpreted the story. I'm actually fine with that. On a totally unrelated note, her LP dress is one of my all time favorites.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree most of your post and I actually would have be just fine with Lu Chen winning that year. It would be nice if another women to won like the last 2 Olympics.

Lu Chen was one of the most underscored skaters ever. Deserved silver at the 92 Worlds, deserved atleast 3rd in the LP at the 92 Olympics, deserved atleast silver and possibly gold at the 93 Worlds (both bonaly and Chen should have beaten winner Baiul), deserved silver at the 94 Olympics (again over baiul), arguably deserved gold at the 96 Worlds.

Back then the Chinese fed. had no power, something that obviously changed in later years with the often inflated scores of Shen & Zhao and Zhang & Zhang, and now today Sui & Han. Chen was a victim of this reality.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes, but what are TRULY her chances of winning the Olympics? Mao beat her last year with THREE clean triples in her LP and Mao with a fall and two < calls had a higher LP score that Julia already this season. (Yes, I know you can't compare across events, but....) Unless Mao has a complete meltdown, there is NO WAY Julia can beat her. Yuna is the most consistent skater there is right now and she flies up and down the ice and into the air. Unless she doesn't show up, Yuna will beat Julia. Kostner is the "weak link" of the top 3 skaters unless her consistency improves and is likely the vulnerable one that is a favorite, but don't expect her to give up her spot without a fight...

I agree Julia is not winning the Olympics this year. No way. The best she can do is probably a bronze, and maybe a silver if the stars really align.

In her grand prix loss to Mao last season remember Julia also did not skate well though, and she was not skating well in general last season. Also the norm for Mao often is only 3 or 4 clean triples, and about 4 other dicey ones with some type of problem.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Very intuitive response OS. You almost convince me this is right music for her now. Except that she skated it with no expression. Audience rose for jumps, flawless skating -for Julia enough reason there to stand when others faltered. Julia is a whiz kid. I like this better than Radio's programs/costumes/music. But Yelena is clearly feeling her music.Age appropriate. Yulia should skate to uplifting music. Let her grow up. I have great love for Schindler's List, the story, movie, the score.

Go watch Wylie or even Witt. Understanding, almost reveret performances by mature skaters. But it would have made the difference if Julia had a reason for choosing this. I think it was chosen for her. I saw no interpretation. This score is the tears of God on violin. Most skaters, esp CoP competitive skaters would be careful approaching it. I feel the Jews love this story deeply. I could see Akiko or Ashley attempting it, or Carolina. Not many skaters would try-too heart wrenching if you are a deep person.

I don't even know how to respond to that, except to say you sure have an unique style of describing things. Witt doing Schindler's list? Are you kidding me? Why should maturity matters when this part is the girl in red age 5 or 6, who is symbolic in existence being an innocent that makes her a powerful concept?

I disagree with Julia shows no expression, I personally think she has a good understanding of what she is portraying, and that for me her stoicism and lack of awareness is perfectly suited to the concept of the program. As a admirer the OST and the film, I thought she was impressive and sensitive to the material considering how easily it can go all horribly wrong and cheapens it. It can be all too saccharine, tear jerker or heavy handed done. It is very easy to fall into that trap but the care and attention she brought to the performance was enough to move me. Her dignified stoicism (accidental or genuine) did capture my attention. A strong will to go perfect impressed me, yet apparent lack of self awareness in the performance works in her favour, just like the little red girl in the film, while completely oblivious she captured Oskar Schindler's gaze that were pivotal to his transformation. Put it this way, let's see how this program perform the rest of the season before you jump to conclusions and discount her completely.

Whether clever designed that managed to hide her weakness, as a program I do think it works well beyond the technical.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I guess the question is whether she should interpret the story behind the music, or if it enough to just skate beautifully to beautiful music. I think she accomplished the latter, but I didn't get the sense that she interpreted the story. I'm actually fine with that. On a totally unrelated note, her LP dress is one of my all time favorites.

I agree, the red coat dress was perfect. Kudos to her designer. She is a pretty liitle girl, too. I think of Mirai at 16 in 4th. So I guess Julia will strike while iron is hot. 4 years can change all-esp the body. This may be her best/only chance for medal.

Peach

Rinkside
I absolutely adore her. She's an amazing skater and I can't wait to see more of her in the future :D. I hope she grows well :(... I don't want her to suffer like Adelina or Liza :S! Oh btw i'm new here lol hello everyone! I've been coming here on and off for about 2 years and I finally decided to join!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
it don't get the complain that Julia isnt too mature and is a child
Schildler's list she is portraying the girl in the red dress
SChildler's list is about angst and loss, I believe this program is just perfect for Julia
it doesn't need sexy or mature interpretation