Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia :P I know-I know

minze

Medalist
She is very good indeed, but saying she can challenge kostner or mao is premature, because we have not seen Kostner Yet. I am sorry, but Kostner's 2013 WC performance with two mistakes should beat Julia's skate Canada win. If kostner rotates 5 triples , her jumps and technique are better and PCS, sorry no judge should put Julia close to kostner on PCS. So, my point is Julia is very good, but saying she can challenged Kostner is premature.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Another hyped up Russian girl whose jumps are so questionable it is ridiculous some are calling the next skating god.

This girl is consistent. That's all. Watch her performance again and tell me she understands what she is skating to. It is clever music and she goes thru the motion like a child and people said she is now expressive. What a joke!

Whether or not she expresses it adequately in your or anyone's opinion, she understands what she's skating to. She chose the music after watching Schindler's list and being moved by the little girl in the red coat's story. Given that, I don't think there can be much doubt that she knows what she's skating to and what she's trying to convey. Again if she is doing so or could do so better is a different question.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
She is very good indeed, but saying she can challenge kostner or mao is premature, because we have not seen Kostner Yet. I am sorry, but Kostner's 2013 WC performance with two mistakes should beat Julia's skate Canada win. If kostner rotates 5 triples , her jumps and technique are better and PCS, sorry no judge should put Julia close to kostner on PCS. So, my point is Julia is very good, but saying she can challenged Kostner is premature.

Nobody says there that she'll win or smth. I'm happy with her consistency AND talent. That's it. I know her flows, but she is young. She could be great, she could be not. Nobody knows - only time will tell.

minze

Medalist
Nobody says there that she'll win or smth. I'm happy with her consistency AND talent. That's it. I know her flows, but she is young. She could be great, she could be not. Nobody knows - only time will tell.

And I agree with you, she is good. But I was responding to the people who are saying she can challenge Mao or Carolina for a medal. Like I said premature, we have seen Carolina skate Yet

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think the podium is already decided between Kim (if she recovered well and showup), Asada and Kostner. Maybe if one of them bomb, next in line will be Akiko or Ashley, judging the PCS given so far. So anyone who wants jump pass them, have to overcome the 15+ PCS deficit and def going to needs some luck and help from them. But if Julia skates solid and the top ladies didn't make any major mistakes, i could see her anywhere from 4th to 6th.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think the podium is already decided between Kim (if she recovered well and showup), Asada and Kostner. Maybe if one of them bomb, next in line will be Akiko or Ashley, judging the PCS given so far. So anyone who wants jump pass them, have to overcome the 15+ PCS deficit and def going to needs some luck and help from them. But if Julia skates solid and the top ladies didn't make any major mistakes, i could see her anywhere from 4th to 6th.

I don't know. I think if they skate well, Kim, Asada, Kostner are the podium, but I think after that nobody's decided. The Olympics will be in Russia, and I really think if Julia continues to skate well her PCS will continue to rise . There's something very special about this program and I think it could potential create a real moment in Sochi.

Her long program also scored very well, I think around Kostner's personal best long. In fact right now Julia's total best score is higher than Kostner's total best.. Julia lands stuff, and that could very well lead to a medal for her in Sochi. Gold-I don't see if Kim is healthy.

What I'm saying is Julia may have a better shot at a medal than we may think she does... Kostner and Asada both ARE amazing skaters, and I'm not sure Julia will ever reach their level. However, this is a competition, and if Kostner skates the way she did at Worlds, she may open the door for Julia if Julia's perfect.

At the end of the day its sort of like Abbott vs Evan. Abbott's the better skater, but we all knew Evan was more likely to skate well in the competition pressure zone. Kostner though has improved a lot in this aspect so hopefully she'll skate well and get the medal, I'd love to see her have.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't know. I think if they skate well, Kim, Asada, Kostner are the podium, but I think after that nobody's decided. The Olympics will be in Russia, and I really think if Julia continues to skate well her PCS will continue to rise . There's something very special about this program and I think it could potential create a real moment in Sochi.

Her long program also scored very well, I think around Kostner's personal best long. In fact right now Julia's total best score is higher than Kostner's total best.. Julia lands stuff, and that could very well lead to a medal for her in Sochi. Gold-I don't see if Kim is healthy.

What I'm saying is Julia may have a better shot at a medal than we may think she does... Kostner and Asada both ARE amazing skaters, and I'm not sure Julia will ever reach their level. However, this is a competition, and if Kostner skates the way she did at Worlds, she may open the door for Julia if Julia's perfect.

At the end of the day its sort of like Abbott vs Evan. Abbott's the better skater, but we all knew Evan was more likely to skate well in the competition pressure zone. Kostner though has improved a lot in this aspect so hopefully she'll skate well and get the medal, I'd love to see her have.

Interesting, indeed! So she reached her potential? And I thought she was a talented junior starting to compete on the big stage..:)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't think a 15 year old skater has any ability to interpret that music and she didn't. I don't get the fuss.

prettykeys

Medalist
Just remember that Anne Frank was 14 when she wrote the majority of the diary that has moved millions of readers.

I am disappointed with the dismissive attitude people are taking towards Julia for her skating/performance on account of her age. One can say that she might fail to interpret the music 100% (although I would like actual reasons in thinking so rather than empty declarations), but there were moments where she definitely hit the right tone and expression. She was certainly better than 17-year-old Gracie and her Life is Beautiful... (sorry, I do like Gracie, but.)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Just remember that Anne Frank was 14 when she wrote the majority of the diary that has moved millions of readers.

I am disappointed with the dismissive attitude people are taking towards Julia for her skating/performance on account of her age. One can say that she might fail to interpret the music 100% (although I would like actual reasons in thinking so rather than empty declarations), but there were moments where she definitely hit the right tone and expression. She was certainly better than 17-year-old Gracie and her Life is Beautiful... (sorry, I do like Gracie, but.)

Exactly, she's not portraying an adult of a Holocaust, she's purposely trying to portray a child of the Holocaust, and unfortunately there were many child victims. Its not just an adult issue, and Julia's performance shows that. And I do get the impression she understands it too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Kostner skating skills then are being equated to Chan's I suggest. so as good as Javier is and Hanyu Chan should have a two jump or error lead but the posters on this site would probably not have that and say it was bias. It is interesting how much "slack" we give Kostner and she is good but certainly no better than Chan if you could judge them fairly against one another pc wise though I still don't get her Bolero - and I don't think as Dicky Button might put it , it was sublime. I don't think she understood the music either but never the less her skating skills are amazing. I hope judges aren't reading these posts and being influenced :) julia is young folks and she is picking something challenging; she isn't trying to be a sprite with an expensive dress and Miss America smile and makeup to boot ala tara lipinski or the wholesomeness of Sarah Hughes. she is a girl and yes, her jumps are small but certainly more flow than Tara's which went up andr down kind of on the same spot forget about the edges of Sarah.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What I would like to see her improve in coming years:

1. Bigger jumps. I think the other aspects of her jumps besides the lack of height, distance, and sometimes flow out is very good, and her jumps still get pretty good GOE.

2. Not so much standing in place and doing flexability moves over and over. Needs more variance in her c horeography, although I liked her programs more this year than the past.

I think she needs to worry about puberty and body changes the most the rest will come along. She unfortunately is not built as strong as Sarah Hughes or Oksana Baiul, Gracie Gold but they all have a year or two on her. she is more reminiscent of the "tiny turning top" Lipinski.

At least she is trying; Gracie's long program really is the American princess still -she is int he vein of kARYN Cadavy, Nicole Bobeck, Linda Frantiane, ?Rosalyn Sumners, Jill Trenary, Kristi Yamaguchi, Cohen, Kwan, Kerrigan to a point because she really felt the music but they have that pretty Miss America feel. the one exception might be Tonya Harding who was like power in sequins. I appreciate Julia is trying and I was impressed that she seemed to understand the story with the red coat - as soon as I saw the outfit I knew this girl was trying. Remember this isn't acting it is still figure skating We can't all be over the top divas on the ice (that would be boring like Dai, Amodio, or several of the icedancers there needs to be some introspective skates. Remember most ladies don't really seem to interpret they are in the vein of the princess mode delicate at times but always graceful even when trying to be "strong" skating to themusic and timing their jumps and spins and specific footwork to the music -are they interpreting - who really knows but most aren't actors. remember Mirai's carmen - got b ig points at the olympics but that surely was a Miss America skate with no idea of Carmen (though now a days I am sure her coach would say something like it is a modern take on Carmen with the joys of emancipation from men or something lol.

3. Needs to feel the music better.

4. Needs more overall speed, power, and ice coverage.

I do think she can improve in all these areas.

Dang, i am having trouble with my computer. I agree with Pangton but I think Julia must worry first and foremost about puberty which will affect spins and jumps.

Second I give her full credit for not taking the easy route like Tara Lipinski who tried to just be a Miss America smile and make up sprite. Julia is a little bit younger than the other girls who were stronger Baiul, Hughes, Bobek who had big jumps. Tara's were worse than Julia - not coming out of footwork or transitions and just went up and down with no coverage. And because of lack of body lines or control Tara appeared more gangly - something about not controlling her feet point or something but she didn't control her lines as well as julia which while gave her a spritely, fun young look not really great for figure skating. I knew she understood the music when she showed up in that red coat (dress). Remember most girls in singles skating aren't really interpereting. Mao and Yuna rely really upon having things coordinated well witht he music and skating withs peed and flow and nice body lines. likewise the American model hasn't changed though Kwan might be an exception as she was more musical in feeling the music but from fleming to Frantiane to Sumners, Bobeck, Cadavy, Trenary, yamaguchi, Flatt, Wagner, Gold, Cohen et al the Miss America princess - trying to look feminien, graceful, delicate at times but noble when showing strength. Rare to find power in sequins skaters like Debi Thomas or Harding. Remember people a classic example of "interpreting" - mirai at the olympics scored well but she was giving the miss america smile and feminine delicacy and power in her Carmen. Clearly she had no idea of the concept of carmen or she had gas with all that smiling. Of course any coach can say this was a modern interpretation of Carmen about the celebration of woman being emancipated from man or something. Julia has a lot of work to do and has to survive puberty but I am not sure she deserves to be criticized so negatively for her artistry. Oh and I am not trying to be mean to Mirai or anyone else - it is just a comment. All the ladies I mentioned as the graceful American princessy types really were top notch skaters including Mirai (well when on of course :)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Dang, i am having trouble with my computer. I agree with Pangton but I think Julia must worry first and foremost about puberty which will affect spins and jumps.

Second I give her full credit for not taking the easy route like Tara Lipinski who tried to just be a Miss America smile and make up sprite. Julia is a little bit younger than the other girls who were stronger Baiul, Hughes, Bobek who had big jumps. Tara's were worse than Julia - not coming out of footwork or transitions and just went up and down with no coverage. And because of lack of body lines or control Tara appeared more gangly - something about not controlling her feet point or something but she didn't control her lines as well as julia which while gave her a spritely, fun young look not really great for figure skating. I knew she understood the music when she showed up in that red coat (dress). Remember most girls in singles skating aren't really interpereting. Mao and Yuna rely really upon having things coordinated well witht he music and skating withs peed and flow and nice body lines. likewise the American model hasn't changed though Kwan might be an exception as she was more musical in feeling the music but from fleming to Frantiane to Sumners, Bobeck, Cadavy, Trenary, yamaguchi, Flatt, Wagner, Gold, Cohen et al the Miss America princess - trying to look feminien, graceful, delicate at times but noble when showing strength. Rare to find power in sequins skaters like Debi Thomas or Harding. Remember people a classic example of "interpreting" - mirai at the olympics scored well but she was giving the miss america smile and feminine delicacy and power in her Carmen. Clearly she had no idea of the concept of carmen or she had gas with all that smiling. Of course any coach can say this was a modern interpretation of Carmen about the celebration of woman being emancipated from man or something. Julia has a lot of work to do and has to survive puberty but I am not sure she deserves to be criticized so negatively for her artistry. Oh and I am not trying to be mean to Mirai or anyone else - it is just a comment. All the ladies I mentioned as the graceful American princessy types really were top notch skaters including Mirai (well when on of course :)

I have never been impressed with Hughes jumps a lot were underrotated and I'm not convinced at all that she's better than Tara. I actually found Tara more polished too. Hughes was always very gangly to me. Nice spiral and layback-that's it. I agree I don't think Julia deserves to be criticized for her artistry at all. I think she's developing into a beautiful skater.

Her jumps are smallish, but you know what Michelle's were never all that big either... I like this program and think Julia is slowly starting to learn to connect to music...

I also like this approach as well to helping a skater mature musically because its not put upon Miss America, and its also allowing her to be her own age.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Too immature

That was an amazing long program! I only wish she were a little older and more seasoned, so that she could challenge Yu Na. I want to see a competition, not a coronation.

I know she can jump. And, she may develop into a fantastic skater. Or, she may be gone in a flash. But, right now she´s gawky and knock kneed much of the time. I don´t undersand why the ISU is so inamored with these waifs. Of course these girls can jump. They don´t have yet a woman´s proportion of muscle, fat and bone density. It´s not fair to skaters who have a women´s body and have labored long to develop beautiful lines and athleticism.

lcd

Match Penalty
Am always surprised and impressed about the consistency of her somewhat unconventional (more roller-skating like) entry into her double axel jump. Great distance and smoothness but a tad scary for me to watch

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I know she can jump. And, she may develop into a fantastic skater. Or, she may be gone in a flash. But, right now she´s gawky and knock kneed much of the time. I don´t undersand why the ISU is so inamored with these waifs. Of course these girls can jump. They don´t have yet a woman´s proportion of muscle, fat and bone density. It´s not fair to skaters who have a women´s body and have labored long to develop beautiful lines and athleticism.

exactly. she is to young to interpret much. she is years away from Mao, Cari, Ashley, Yuna-please-another little kid who jumps when skinny and tiny. We shall see.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Whether or not she expresses it adequately in your or anyone's opinion, she understands what she's skating to. She chose the music after watching Schindler's list and being moved by the little girl in the red coat's story. Given that, I don't think there can be much doubt that she knows what she's skating to and what she's trying to convey. Again if she is doing so or could do so better is a different question.

just like gracie watched sleeping beauty and being moved by the evil witch or whatever.
Of course she knows she is skating to a girl in a red coat. I mean, she is not ********. But does she know what she is skating to? All I see is the same face in the SP going thru the motion.

Everything about this girl is lacking. Skating skills, speed is average. Jumps are abysmal. Wait until she grows a bit and tell me if she is a talented jumper.

Just a very consistent little girl with no other remarkable quality. Is this girl this year's Tuktamesheva? Flavor of the month? I feel sad for her because in a year this girl will be trashed like old newspaper, making room for another 12yo who can jump.

Yet, we have some people crowning her as olympics medalist already. Hilarious!

Podium is locked. Just like 2010. Rochette's PCS shot up by 10 points in the same season, guaranteed her a meddal over inspiring nagasu. Flatt was kept down at first to guarantee the top 3 medalists.

I see the samething happen in 2014. No matter how this chic skates, she aint coming near the podium. Rightfully so

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If mao, yuna, carolina can put out at least 4 or 5 triples, it doesn't matter what anyone else do.
If Ashley skates first in the ultimate group, watch her getting hit with loads of URs.
Gracie? She will self destruct. And her PCS will be 12 points below the top 3.
Julia? A few URs, low PCS.
Anyone else?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
By the way, I think the American girls make a strong team for Sochi. They are contenders for sure, and Gracie, if clean 'course, should surpass at least Carolina, who is prone to mistakes...There is time for every skater to improve till Sochi

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I have never been impressed with Hughes jumps a lot were underrotated and I'm not convinced at all that she's better than Tara. I actually found Tara more polished too. Hughes was always very gangly to me. Nice spiral and layback-that's it. I

Tara for sure is a way better skater than Hughes. Hughes had better spins (apart from the sit spin, Tara's was much better), and better spirals, but that is it.

Tara's jumps were light years better, not huge but probably bigger than Sarah's, and other than the lack of height Tara's were exceptional in everyway- position in air, flow out, trajectory, timing, rotation. Sarah's are ordinary in everyway. Tara was super consistent doing 7 triples and the hardest triple-triples ever done (apart from the triple lutz-triple loop some women since have done). Sarah sometimes stood up some badly pre rotated and cheated triple-triples. Tara had one small technical issue with the flutz, but Hughes had a 5 time worse flutz, a mule kicking lutz, flip, and toe, and amazingly even sometimes managed to lip on her flip despite being one of the worst flutzers ever.

Tara had much better basics, was much faster, had much more command and presence. Tara in her prime beat Michelle Kwan 4 times out of 5 meetings, and won 5 of the 6 biggest events she was in. Tara beat a clean Michelle Kwan to win the Olympics, and regularly was beating both Kwan and Slutskaya at her peak. Sarah could never dream of doing such things. Had Irina (despite a very poor skate for her standards) gotten 5.8 from the Finnish judge for presentation rather than a 5.7 in the SLC LP, Sarah would have never placed higher than 3rd in any major event. She never won her own Nationals and only placed as high as 2nd twice.

Worst skater to win the Olympics is defintely a toss up between Hughes and Poetzsch. Tara today is far more highly respected and left a much greater legacy in the skating World than Hughes.