Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

Custom Title
    For those who criticize Chan's costume, be glad it is not divided into four quadrants depicting the four seasons!

Tu Ly, a Canadian designer, is responsible for his costumes till Sochi.

^ Stephane Lambiel's Zebra shirt, to the same music, made the list at number 2 of Time Magazine's all-time worst figure skating costumes.

http://content.time.com/time/special...964291,00.html

Interesting. though, that on this thread of 22 pages and more than 300 posts, Patrick's costume is mentioned only three times: #123 "I really like Chan's shirt," #169, "Chan must be really confident in his pecs," and the tomgue-in-cheek post #258, that begins "On a completely superficial and lighter note…"

On the other hand, quite a few posters actually did invest some energy to critiquing (and not in a good way) the outfits of Minor, Farris, Abbott, and -- oh my goodness -- Hanyu.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Finally watched Skate Canada.

Chan is just phenomenal and his skating + Vivaldi = GOD! It was interesting to see my boyfriend commenting on the small mistakes Chan made and how I had to defend Chan's superior skills. And I'm a Daisuke fan. I hope Chan will skate CLEAN with a lot of passion so he will win the hearts of the public, as well as die-hard skating fans.

Hannyu- I don't see much change in his skating since I cried my eyes out in Palais des Expositions in Nice in 2012 apart from much improved consistency. His posture, skating skills, and his rushed moves... the same problems remain. And the whole thing about him being girly might work with some demographics in Japan (there's a term I forget that exists to describe girls admiring girlish boys) but come on you're an international athlete!! The costume, how he holds his Pooh stuffed animal in front of the press and his cutesy-ness... Johnny Weir is smart enough to make it so outrageous it's marketable. Hannyu I feel uncomfortable.

I love Oda this season. He seems like he's enjoying himself and it really shows. Love his programs. I hope he makes it to the Olympics!!!
    Hi Hikki! I totally agree with you re Patrick. and Oda is adorable. My kids loved it that Hannyu needs his Pooh but to me he looks too young still- he's SO skinny and adolescent looking he reminds me of my 14 year old. I think he needs a little more seasoning before he should be considered a true contender.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ Stephane Lambiel's Zebra shirt, to the same music, made the list at number 2 of Time Magazine's all-time worst figure skating costumes.

Interesting. though, that on this thread of 22 pages and more than 300 posts, Patrick's costume is mentioned only three times: #123 "I really like Chan's shirt," #169, "Chan must be really confident in his pecs," and the tomgue-in-cheek post #258, that begins "On a completely superficial and lighter note…"

On the other hand, quite a few posters actually did invest some energy to critiquing (and not in a good way) the outfits of Minor, Farris, Abbott, and -- oh my goodness -- Hanyu.
    I LOVED Chan's costume. and I hated Abbott's- too clingy in all the wrong places and made him look big. Hanyu's doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others, but I was more bothered by how incredibly skinny he looks.

I like Lambiel's reasoning for his zebra shirt in relation to the Four Seasons. So had he wore it to a Summer Olympics, the zebra would be looking for grass.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I LOVED Chan's costume. and I hated Abbott's- too clingy in all the wrong places and made him look big. Hanyu's doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others, but I was more bothered by how incredibly skinny he looks.
    Although I do agree that tight-fitting costumes makes Yuzu look "incredibly skinny", BUT he's a very skinny person in reality. So even without the tight-fitting costume, he'll still look pretty skinny.

And regarding the comment about Yuzu looking like an adolescent boy, i.e. 14 years old, I think it's genetics - the kid barely has any facial hair (or none at all), a typical characteristic of manhood. I honestly don't think Yuzu will lose his youthful looks anytime soon, but since it's his skating that will be judged, and not physical appearance, Yuzu should be fine. I still consider him a strong contender for the OGM - because I am a huggeeeee fan and also, I think he has all the talent in the world to become a gold medalist.

Custom Title

Really? what a shame. I happen to love Steph's Zebra costume quite a lot!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Hi Hikki! I totally agree with you re Patrick. and Oda is adorable. My kids loved it that Hannyu needs his Pooh but to me he looks too young still- he's SO skinny and adolescent looking he reminds me of my 14 year old. I think he needs a little more seasoning before he should be considered a true contender.
    Hi wordsworthgirl Your son must be an adorable! As for Hannyu's looks, as Becki said it must be genetics so that's that, but there's gotta be outfits that showcase his youthfulness without looking girly. I'm a gay man and I'm all for being who you are. It's just that for top international athletes like Hannyu (and upcoming Machida and Brown), I wish there was someone who manages those awkward teenage years we've all had.

I rambled too much, didn't I? Which three Japanese men do you think/want to go to Sochi?

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    it's his skating that will be judged, and not physical appearance, Yuzu should be fine. I still consider him a strong contender for the OGM - because I am a huggeeeee fan and also, I think he has all the talent in the world to become a gold medalist.
    You're so enthusiastic! He's such a fierce competitor and I bet he'll nail those quads and the triple axel with the crazy entry/exist and make me shut up

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by daydreamangel View Post
    Agree! He will never be as great as Yagudin. Patrick kinda bores me....I am pulling for Daisuke to win Gold at Sochi.
    Back in the day Yagudin was great but that was then, this is now. Dai doesn't have a chance - I find him very overrated. I like his musicality & some of his footwork is wonderful but his jumps have been gone for a while now & he's technically sloppy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Diva View Post
    Back in the day Yagudin was great but that was then, this is now. Dai doesn't have a chance - I find him very overrated. I like his musicality & some of his footwork is wonderful but his jumps have been gone for a while now & he's technically sloppy.
    I think the years have wore out Dai when it comes to his jumps. He's not 22 anymore.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Finally watched Skate Canada.

Chan is just phenomenal and his skating + Vivaldi = GOD!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22