Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Hybrid View

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

I want Jason Brown and Richard Dornbush. For me, they have the best programs of the American Men this year. Not only that, but these programs are all FUN too. Not just in a simplistic way either, but with a genuine and mature delivery. It would be a nice contrast to see at the Olympics, with all of the the super-serious programs that everyone else in the World is doing.

Jason Brown SP
    Jason Brown LP
    Richard Dornbush SP
    Richard Dornbush LP (this Beatles program is better than Takahashi's this season...)

Both of these men are very capable on the technical side as well, if they skate their best. Jason Brown showed he can do a perfect LP with two 3Axels at Junior Worlds last year and his spins/footwork are among the best in the World. Dornbush has been inconsistent the past couple years, but he really does have very good technical ability. He already mastered the "perfect LP with no Quad" back in 2011 and he's just been trying to incorporate the Quads into his programs ever since then, which has tended to throw off other parts of his skating. He is the American man with the highest scoring potential if he actually puts it all together and I think this season he can make that push.

-----

Thoughts on the rest of the American Men and why I don't think they are as good this season:

Jeremy Abbott - His LP has been watered down choreographically from what it was in 2012 and an annoying music edit has been added in. This program is no longer special. It's just run-of-the-mill CoP fare. Abbott can still be a special performer at times, but this program no longer sets him apart. The same goes for his SP, which is such an empty attempt at something "different".

Max Aaron - His programs and basic movement are the worst. He has the highest technical potential but is he actually capable of delivering 3 Quads in the LP? I highly, highly doubt it.

Adam Rippon - He still doesn't have a consistent 3Axel and his Quad is nowhere near consistent, not to mention that it should always be getting -3 GOE in the SP, since there are NO transitions going into it (required for the solo SP jump). I think his programs have some nice qualities, but they aren't particularly creative or memorable. He has really improved his basics, but ultimately it's not enough considering the jump issues.

Joshua Farris - An all-around good skater that has yet to show anything truly special.

Ross Miner - He was so good at 2011 Worlds (should have finished 5th!). I was hoping he would continue to build upon that, but unfortunately his programs and skating since then have always been less interesting. Since he has also been incredibly inconsistent on the technical side lately, this really isn't his season.

Custom Title
    Evan and Max

Custom Title
    Max and Josh.

And Jason.

And Ross...

Oh. Bugger.

Custom Title
    Tough... I know I'd rather not see Max, Adam and Evan go though. Jason is delightful, but I don't know if his relatively sparse technical content plus his inexperience would make him a good choice. Josh also with the inexperience. On the other hand, Richard, Ross and Jeremy are potentially great but have major bombing potential. I like a lot of these skaters, but it's so hard to pick out of them.

~high art~
    Richard because he's the cutest.

Jason has the most potential artistically, but I'm not a fan of his new LP at all.

Custom Title
    I saw Ricky skate live this year and even though he has a lovely character, I think his skating was a bit blaah. He was sooo focused on getting everything together technically that he kind of forgot to present his programmes. That's why I found him a bit boring to watch. I love skaters who show their emotions on the ice. For this reason I wouldn't choose Max either. I would choose Adam, he has improved a lot, I just love his skating and the artistic side of him! Second one is tricky... probably Jeremy or Jason.

Custom Title
    Adam and Jason (I know he doesn't have a quad, but that LP is insanely difficult anyway). I'd be fine with Max, Ricky, or Josh as well. None of them are consistent with their programs yet, so it really depends on who gets his act together by January. I'm ruling Jeremy out--he just can't handle his nerves in international competitions 95% of the time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If someone at 24 isn't a medal contender i don't see them suddenly becoming one at 28 when they are older and worn out.
    *coughKonstantinMenshovcough*

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    *coughKonstantinMenshovcough*
    I'm talking about on the international stage such as Worlds, Olympics.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Max Aaron - His programs and basic movement are the worst. He has the highest technical potential but is he actually capable of delivering 3 Quads in the LP? I highly, highly doubt it.
    But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry?

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry?

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)
    If they gave bonuses for sexy, Max would be getting a twenty-point bonus at least every time.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.
    He does not, sadly. (And no Senior B's either) He dealt with some injuries this summer, so it sounds like he's focus on recovery and getting to nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I want Jason Brown and Richard Dornbush. For me, they have the best programs of the American Men this year. Not only that, but these programs are all FUN too. Not just in a simplistic way either, but with a genuine and mature delivery. It would be a nice contrast to see at the Olympics, with all of the the super-serious programs that everyone else in the World is doing.

Jason Brown SP
    Jason Brown LP
    Richard Dornbush SP
    Richard Dornbush LP (this Beatles program is better than Takahashi's this season...)

Both of these men are very capable on the technical side as well, if they skate their best. Jason Brown showed he can do a perfect LP with two 3Axels at Junior Worlds last year and his spins/footwork are among the best in the World. Dornbush has been inconsistent the past couple years, but he really does have very good technical ability. He already mastered the "perfect LP with no Quad" back in 2011 and he's just been trying to incorporate the Quads into his programs ever since then, which has tended to throw off other parts of his skating. He is the American man with the highest scoring potential if he actually puts it all together and I think this season he can make that push.
    Now that I've gotten a good look at Jason's program, I agree with you emphatically on him especially. He has a dynamic, well-integrated program, and I was especially impressed with the speed of his spins. Also, I like the way he uses his arms; he doesn't just freeze them at chest level and swing them from the shoulders. Whether he's ready this year or not we won't yet know, but I sure hope he is.