Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Results 211 to 215 of 215

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

  1. #211
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,007
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    As for an 88 point SP, that is unlikely as Brown will likely not earn 4 points extra PCS (from 38 to 42) than what he has earned.
    He got 38.79 at TEB. With more rep and more small improvements that I expect to come, he should be able to get 41 PCS. He can get a little more +GOE out of his 3Axel and Sit Spin as well. That would total 88.

  2. #212
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    He got 38.79 at TEB. With more rep and more small improvements that I expect to come, he should be able to get 41 PCS. He can get a little more +GOE out of his 3Axel and Sit Spin as well. That would total 88.
    He did get 80+ in the FS at TEB, which would translate to a 40 PCS at a future competition, perhaps.

    That said, I hope we don't jinx Jason with all this declarations! :P

    I'd be happy if he got on the podium at Nationals and build up from there. He hasn't finished higher than 8th in his three nationals appearances, so even a top 6 placement would be an improvement, but I do think top 3 and perhaps 4CC is quite realistic.

    If he gets 2nd or even wins Nationals and gets a spot on the World/Olympic team, that is a major bonus. If he makes it to the top 10 at the Olympics that's like super ultra bonus. I do think Olympic bronze in 2014 is a huge stretch unless Jason shows up there with a quad.

    We've seen what happens when a young team/skater gets to the top right away and then struggle afterward...it's brutal (Exhibits: Gachinski, Shibs, etc). So I'd rather enjoy Jason where he is now, celebrate milestones along the way and let him develop at his own pace, which seems to work for him so far.

    Of course, it's possible that Jason could get to the top quickly and stay there, but that hasn't been the case for most skaters.

    But that said, Jason is in a really good spot. What strikes me that he knows he is competitive for one of those spots, but yet he doesn't want it so bad that he's making a ton of silly mistakes. His team is definitely taking the cool-and-calculated approach regarding competition and I think it's paying dividends for him so far.

    Of course, we'll have to see how he does in the pressure cooker that is nationals...

  3. #213
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    He got 38.79 at TEB. With more rep and more small improvements that I expect to come, he should be able to get 41 PCS. He can get a little more +GOE out of his 3Axel and Sit Spin as well. That would total 88.
    This is really a matter of all the stars aligning for him. I don't see 41 points of PCS for him this season, although it's not completely out of the realm of possibility either.

    In followup seasons, he can definitely score 88+ but I highly doubt he'll get it this season - he simply hasn't been on the scene long enough to garner the necessary PCS (it's remarkable that he's getting 37 and 38 points of PCS considering this). Another reason I don't think he'll get it is because he has yet to achieve the necessary consistency on his triple axel. However, at the Olympics, clean skates are rewarded with higher-than-typical PCS, so who knows.

  4. #214
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    He did get 80+ in the FS at TEB, which would translate to a 40 PCS at a future competition, perhaps.

    That said, I hope we don't jinx Jason with all this declarations! :P
    I hope not either! He's so talented and I don't want to overhype him with expectations.

    The 80.12 PCS in the FS is particularly notable in that it would have actually been the 6th highest PCS at Worlds last year (would have even beaten Hanyu's PCS). And this is his first year on the GP!

  5. #215
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,395
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    This is really a matter of all the stars aligning for him. I don't see 41 points of PCS for him this season, although it's not completely out of the realm of possibility either.

    In followup seasons, he can definitely score 88+ but I highly doubt he'll get it this season - he simply hasn't been on the scene long enough to garner the necessary PCS (it's remarkable that he's getting 37 and 38 points of PCS considering this). Another reason I don't think he'll get it is because he has yet to achieve the necessary consistency on his triple axel. However, at the Olympics, clean skates are rewarded with higher-than-typical PCS, so who knows.
    He's 3 for 3 in international competition for clean programs in the SP and obviously 3/3 in 3A:

    Nebelhorn: +0.86 GOE
    Skate America: +1.14 GOE
    Trophee Eric Bompard: +1.14 GOE


    It's in the FS where he's been less consistent:
    Nebelhorn: 3A+3T (0.57 GOE); 3A<< (-1.50 GOE)
    Skate America: 3A<< (-1.50 GOE); 3A+1T (-2.14 GOE)
    Trophee Eric Bompard: 3A-2T (-0.14 GOE); 1A (0 GOE)

    So in six attempts, half of them have been ratified but only 1 of them received positive GOE (though his 3A-2T got a few zeros and a few +1).

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I hope not either! He's so talented and I don't want to overhype him with expectations.

    The 80.12 PCS in the FS is particularly notable in that it would have actually been the 6th highest PCS at Worlds last year (would have even beaten Hanyu's PCS). And this is his first year on the GP!
    That's interesting to note.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •