Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.

I can't agree with you more Mrs. P (By the way my user name could be Mrs. P too!) I am so sad for Ross right now as I think he is overthinking things and very nervous since nationals. I think popping that axel at nationals must have got to him or something, as he could have been national champion and been the "it" guy this year. His skating is DEFINITELY underrated with his great edges and positions on spins. I am praying he pulls it together in Paris and proves everyone wrong!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree popping the axel and losing Nationals Gold to Aaron was a huge blow to Miner, and since then it has been a bit downhill for him. He still has a chance but needs to snap it back together and fast.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Max Aaron - His programs and basic movement are the worst. He has the highest technical potential but is he actually capable of delivering 3 Quads in the LP? I highly, highly doubt it.

But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry? :)

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry? :)

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)

If they gave bonuses for sexy, Max would be getting a twenty-point bonus at least every time. :love:

lavender

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.

He does not, sadly. (And no Senior B's either) He dealt with some injuries this summer, so it sounds like he's focus on recovery and getting to nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now that Richard has competed, here's my updated comparision.

Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
---------------------------------------
Richard Dornbush 218.57 (Cup of China)
Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
---------------------------
Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 72.58 (COC)
Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
---------------------------
Richard Dornbush 36.47 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
Adam Rippon 37.03 (SC)
--------------------------
Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 36.11 (COC)
Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
------------------------------
Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
Richard Dornbush: 145.99 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
Max Aaron: 90.47
Adam Rippon: 83.01
Richard Dornbush 76.61
------------------------
Joshua Farris: 74.80
Jason Brown: 68.69
Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
Adam Rippon: 82.08
Jason Brown: 79.56
Jeremy Abbott: 77.78
-----------------------
Joshua Farris: 73.78
Max Aaron: 72.98
Richard Dornbush 70.38
Ross Miner: 69.64

So my updated score tracker: (15, first, 10 second, 5 third in each of the categories):

Adam: 75
Jason: 55
Max: 50
Jeremy: 20
Josh: 5
Richard: 5
Ross: 0

noskates

Record Breaker
Well I’m hoping it’s between Jason, Adam and Jeremy but I have no expectations. I do feel that more than likely it will be Aaron and someone else.

I see Evan is modeling Olympic gear with D/W which feels strange because I just don’t see him going….I don’t think.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/29/us-olympic-ralph-lauren-uniforms-photos/related/

I'm completely with Lavendar. My two best choices are Jason and Adam. Jeremy WOULD be my top choice if he could just find it in himself to skate clean. I've always been an Adam fan and I think he's in such a good place right now. I hope it continues on through the rest of the season. Jason is joyful to watch!! And he's still so young that I hope he's around for the next Winter Olys.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think even without the quad Jason really has a chance to make the team. There are no consistent US Men at the moment and only Max lands quads regularly. His overall skating skills and performance skills make him a threat. I hope he goes for it he has nothing to lose. Same with Josh.

lcd

Match Penalty
I think it is going to be a fascinating mash up of who USFS ends up sending to the 3 major post Nationals events. 2 spots for the Olympics but would be surprised if those same 2 also actually skate at Worlds. Post Olympic Worlds are always about "the alternates list!"

gottadance

On the Ice
it seems to me the USFSA needs to really think " out of the box" in their selection of men for Worlds and Olympics. The huge issue the selection committee faces is the obvious one - the skaters performances at this years Worlds dictate the number of skaters alowed for next year . BUT this concern does not exist for Olympics so , in reality , the Olympics represent a freebie of sorts ! One could argue that it is unfair to play games with skater's opportunites for Olympic medals but realistically , this year , no American male skater has a chance for the podium.
There is still the team event to consider , so I would suggest taking whoever wins the US Championships and then whoever finishes the highest amoung the young up-and-comers - likely it would end up between Josh and Jason This would give one young American skater a dream opportunity to absorb all that the Olympics are about in anticipation of 2018 when I really think both Jason and Josh could be contenders.
For Worlds I would again send the US Champion but then I would have a skate off at 4 Continents among whoever finishes 2nd 3rd and 4th at Nationals ,for the 2nd spot. We really need to have the 2nd skater be whoever is in the best shape and skating the best at the time for Worlds as , with the anticipated retirements post Olympics, our 2 skaters just might make that magical #13 for 3 spots next year. I would even go so far as to say that if the US Champion does not do well at the Olympics then he could be replaced for Worlds with the #2 finisher among the US skaters at 4 continents or the 2nd representative at the Olympics if he does especially well .
My ideas may not be perfect but the point is that the selection process doesnt seem to be working well and we need to get our younger skaters out there to get that all important International recognition

mskater93

Record Breaker
Whoever is going to the Olympics is not going to 4C. Timing and location are not conducive to solid training for the Olympics.

ciocio

On the Ice
Okay what about Evan OGM winner Lysacek? Right he is probably considered more of a pretender????

I would like to see him if he is preparing a comeback. If not, I hope Jason Brown qualifies, I like his skating a lot. :)

gottadance

On the Ice
Whoever is going to the Olympics is not going to 4C. Timing and location are not conducive to solid training for the Olympics.

exactly - my suggestion doesnt involve anybody going to 4 C's who would be on the Olympic team - I would use 4 C's to finalize the World team.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think it's better to send the #2 finisher to both. That makes the stakes higher for the skaters and we can see who has the competitive toughness needed to earn a high placement.

mskater93

Record Breaker
exactly - my suggestion doesnt involve anybody going to 4 C's who would be on the Olympic team - I would use 4 C's to finalize the World team.
But probably the second place finisher at Nationals will be on the Olympic team.

gottadance

On the Ice
I think it's better to send the #2 finisher to both. That makes the stakes higher for the skaters and we can see who has the competitive toughness needed to earn a high placement.

I understand the theory behind the idea of sending the 2nd place finisher BUT , so often in the past that has resulted in a skater going to Worlds who really wasnt strong enough but who had a " performance of a lifetime" at Nationals . The big problem of course is the need to send skaters who can do well enough at Worlds to earn the US more spots the following year. If that is not possible then at least send somebody who is young with great potential ( and we happily have 2 or 3 of those at least right now )and who will benefit greatly from the experieince and from the intrnational exposure . Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.