Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Updated, revised and reposted for Trophee Eric Bompard! In addition, I am changing the scoring tracker to give points to the top 5 to show a bit more nuance in the scoring.

Jason: 129
Adam: 122
Jeremy: 79
Max: 55

Comments:
1.) These four men were the only ones to receive any points, so it's pretty clear who the contenders are at this point. Of course all bets are off if Richard and Josh do well at COR.
2.) Jason and Adam look the most consistent so far. Jason has done well in the SP. He did poorly in the FS at Skate America, but did much better at TEB and I think we're seeing an upward trend. Adam has done well all-around. Jeremy has high PCS overall in his favor, but consistency keeps him from scoring higher. Max is the opposite, he has TES to help him, but PCS is lacking and consistency is also an issue.

Anyone feel I should account for Senior B scores as well? I can, if you guys feel it would provide some better trending....

****BREAK DOWN OF SCORES***8

Total score
Jason Brown 243.09 (Trophee Eric Bompard)
Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
---------------------------------------
Jeremy Abbott 237.41 (NHK Trophy)
Adam Rippon 233.71 (NHK Trophy)
Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 223.35 (NHK Trophy)
Richard Dornbush 218.57 (Cup of China)
Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
Jason Brown 84.77 (TEB)
Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
Adam Rippon 82.25 (NHK)
---------------------------
Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott: 78.78 (NHK)
Max Aaron: 76.21 (NHK)
Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 72.58 (COC)
Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
Jason Brown 45.98 (TEB)
Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
Adam Rippon 44.80 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
Max Aaron 40.65 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott: 38.82 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush 36.47 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
Jeremy Abbott 39.96 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
--------------------------
Jason Brown 38.79 (TEB)
Adam Rippon 37.85 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 37.03 (SA)
Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 36.11 (COC)
Max Aaron 36.56 (NHK)
Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 158.63 (NHK)
------------------------------
Jason Brown: 158.32 (TEB)
Adam Rippon: 151.46
Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
Max Aaron: 147.14 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush: 145.99 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
Max Aaron: 90.47
Adam Rippon: 83.01
Jeremy Abbott: 78.25
------------------------
Jason Brown: 78.20
Max Aaron: 78.20
Richard Dornbush 76.61
Joshua Farris: 74.80
Adam Rippon 73.60
Jason Brown: 68.69
Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
Adam Rippon: 82.08 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott: 80.38 (NHK)
Jason Brown: 80.12 (TEB)
-----------------------
Jason Brown: 79.56 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 77.86 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott: 77.78 (SC)
Joshua Farris: 73.78
Max Aaron: 72.98
Richard Dornbush 70.38
Ross Miner: 69.64

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Ross is pretty much out of it at this point. I cant imagine anything he would do after all his poor performanes since last years Nationals would get him on the team unless it is a disaesterously skated Nationals. Richard and Josh have one last chance to impress like many others have already done at COR and they had better take it. I don't think the U.S judges will give someone the scores who hasn't shown something this season already, even if they skate very well at Nationals.

I totally agree about Ross. He has been frankly dreadful since Nationals. and I was a fan of his! Also, to be brutally honest, I find myself feeling like Ross is the reason we don't have 3 spots so to give him a spot if he miraculously manages to pull off a good skate at Nationals after a string of poor performances seems just not right to me.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I totally agree about Ross. He has been frankly dreadful since Nationals. and I was a fan of his! Also, to be brutally honest, I find myself feeling like Ross is the reason we don't have 3 spots so to give him a spot if he miraculously manages to pull off a good skate at Nationals after a string of poor performances seems just not right to me.

Very true, and it will never happen. The U.S judges will be very careful to who they put on that team. The guys who make it will have to skate well at Nationals, but will also have had to skated well prior to Nationals IMO. The one who has done the best combination of both will be the two to make it.

No way Ross Miner is making the team.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Very true, and it will never happen. The U.S judges will be very careful to who they put on that team. The guys who make it will have to skate well at Nationals, but will also have had to skated well prior to Nationals IMO. The one who has done the best combination of both will be the two to make it.

No way Ross Miner is making the team.

I hope you're right, PangTong fan! This is the way it SHOULD be done, I think.

BTW, congrats on your team's victory today! They are beautiful and touching- I love them too!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Updated, revised and reposted for Trophee Eric Bompard! In addition, I am changing the scoring tracker to give points to the top 5 to show a bit more nuance in the scoring.

Jason: 129
Adam: 122
Jeremy: 79
Max: 55

Comments:
1.) These four men were the only ones to receive any points, so it's pretty clear who the contenders are at this point. Of course all bets are off if Richard and Josh do well at COR.
2.) Jason and Adam look the most consistent so far. Jason has done well in the SP. He did poorly in the FS at Skate America, but did much better at TEB and I think we're seeing an upward trend. Adam has done well all-around. Jeremy has high PCS overall in his favor, but consistency keeps him from scoring higher. Max is the opposite, he has TES to help him, but PCS is lacking and consistency is also an issue.

Anyone feel I should account for Senior B scores as well? I can, if you guys feel it would provide some better trending....

****BREAK DOWN OF SCORES***8

Total score
Jason Brown 243.09 (Trophee Eric Bompard)
Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
---------------------------------------
Jeremy Abbott 237.41 (NHK Trophy)
Adam Rippon 233.71 (NHK Trophy)
Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 223.35 (NHK Trophy)
Richard Dornbush 218.57 (Cup of China)
Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
Jason Brown 84.77 (TEB)
Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
Adam Rippon 82.25 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott: 78.78 (NHK)
Max Aaron: 76.21 (NHK)
Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 72.58 (COC)
Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
Jason Brown 45.98 (TEB)
Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
Adam Rippon 44.80 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
Max Aaron 40.65 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott: 38.82 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush 36.47 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
Jeremy Abbott 39.96 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
--------------------------
Jason Brown 38.79 (TEB)
Adam Rippon 37.85 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 37.03 (SA)
Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 36.11 (COC)
Max Aaron 36.56 (NHK)
Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 158.63 (NHK)
------------------------------
Jason Brown: 158.32 (TEB)
Adam Rippon: 151.46
Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
Max Aaron: 147.14 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush: 145.99 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
Max Aaron: 90.47
Adam Rippon: 83.01
Jeremy Abbott: 78.25
------------------------
Jason Brown: 78.20
Max Aaron: 78.20
Richard Dornbush 76.61
Joshua Farris: 74.80
Adam Rippon 73.60
Jason Brown: 68.69
Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
Adam Rippon: 82.08 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott: 80.38 (NHK)
Jason Brown: 80.12 (TEB)
-----------------------
Jason Brown: 79.56 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 77.86 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott: 77.78 (SC)
Joshua Farris: 73.78
Max Aaron: 72.98
Richard Dornbush 70.38
Ross Miner: 69.64

Thank you so much as always! I know Jason did really well in his Senior B, at Nebelhorn- didn't he skate two clean programs there? and Jeremy was good at the Japan Open. Did Adam compete in any Senior Bs? Max won but was weak at SLC.

I just don't see Max making the team at this point- having the quads planned means nothing if he can't execute them. and he's only executed one- very shaky- quad in major competitions this season.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I don't follow.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I hope you're right, PangTong fan! This is the way it SHOULD be done, I think.

BTW, congrats on your team's victory today! They are beautiful and touching- I love them too!

Thank you! It is great to see them proving people wrong who were counting them out. A well deserved victory.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much as always! I know Jason did really well in his Senior B, at Nebelhorn- didn't he skate two clean programs there? and Jeremy was good at the Japan Open. Did Adam compete in any Senior Bs? Max won but was weak at SLC.

I just don't see Max making the team at this point- having the quads planned means nothing if he can't execute them. and he's only executed one- very shaky- quad in major competitions this season.

Yes, Jason had a clean short at Nebelhorn. His FS was OK, but he missed one of his 3A (it was 3A<<) and to a UR in his 3F-2T combo. His Skate America performance, technically was the worst.

Adam did not compete in any senior Bs.

Oh yes, I forgot about Jeremy and Japan Open. He scored 157+ but that score was pretty inflated, as he popped a bunch of jumps. His NHK FS was definitely his best effort thus far.

FWIW, I did calculate senior B scores in my rankings offline, but it would have not changed the standings that much. And the only non-GP dark horse perhaps worth talking about is Stephen Carriere, who has really lovely programs this year.

Ross's bad performance at 2013 Worlds is why the US men only have 2 spots for the Olympics. Max Aaron performed well, but Ross did not. Their combined total was over the limit needed to ensure 3 spots.

Ross certainly didn't help in the effort to get three spots, but I didn't see any combination of U.S. men getting three spots with Patrick, Javier and three Japanese men, plus Kevin Reynolds did really well as well.

Max's 7th place finish was probably the best any U.S. man could have done, IMO.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Miner would have had to come 5th, beating Reynolds. Even though Reynolds did not skate perfectly, I am not sure if he was capable of that even with his best, especialy in Canada.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max and Jason.

Joshua and Jason.

Jason and Joshua.

Max and Joshua.

jaylee

Medalist
Miner would have had to come 5th, beating Reynolds. Even though Reynolds did not skate perfectly, I am not sure if he was capable of that even with his best, especialy in Canada.

But I'm not sure any other US man would've been able to come in 5th at that Worlds either, so I feel like the chances for 3 spots was doomed from the start.

I really don't find any of the US men reliable under pressure, no matter how much I love their skating (Jeremy Abbott). :slink:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
But I'm not sure any other US man would've been able to come in 5th at that Worlds either, so I feel like the chances for 3 spots was doomed from the start.

I really don't find any of the US men reliable under pressure, no matter how much I love their skating (Jeremy Abbott). :slink:

Aaron is reliable under pressure. Miner was for awhile. Neither has the scoring potential though even at their best.

Abbott could score big if he ever skated clean (not just well, but clean, he is no Chan to the judges).

Dornbush shows potential but cant seem to get it together.

Rippon is too weak a jumper to ever really make it bigtime, although he could make the team.

Brown needs to improve as a jumper but already has quite a bit, and shows huge potential.

Farris shows potential but he seems to be stagnating a bit right now.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ross's bad performance at 2013 Worlds is why the US men only have 2 spots for the Olympics. Max Aaron performed well, but Ross did not. Their combined total was over the limit needed to ensure 3 spots.

While Ross' performance guaranteed[/i] that the US wouldn't have three spots (14th, of course, being too low to get the magic 13 points) I'd assert that it was a bridge too far anyway. Max Aaron ranked 7th, so Miner needed 5th (pushing Aaron down to 8th) or 6th (in a universe where someone else skates worse and falls behind) for that to be possible.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wouldn't quite call him reliable just yet. It's very apparent that he gets hit hard on PCS when he doesn't land his quads, and he's been inconsistent with his quads this season so far, so I'm still waiting on him to light it up.

for the standards of the current U.S men he is. He never has a meltdown and often can do a clean performance.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But the really excellent part about Aaron is even if he messes up the first jump or two, he still fights for the rest of the program. Some skaters do this. Others roll over and die when things aren't going well.

ghislaine

Rinkside
But the really excellent part about Aaron is even if he messes up the first jump or two, he still fights for the rest of the program. Some skaters do this. Others roll over and die when things aren't going well.

Mm, not really. He didn't perform very well at Skate America and completely lost the performance at NHK. Max is also prone to low levels and if he makes mistakes he doesn't have reliable PCS to fall back on. His elements don't get a lot of GOE either. So far this season calling him reliable is a far, far stretch.

Going by the season so far, the Olympic team should be Adam and Jason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mm, not really. He didn't perform very well at Skate America and completely lost the performance at NHK. Max is also prone to low levels and if he makes mistakes he doesn't have reliable PCS to fall back on. His elements don't get a lot of GOE either. So far this season calling him reliable is a far, far stretch.

Going by the season so far, the Olympic team should be Adam and Jason.

To be fair, Max placed 2nd in the FS at Skate America even with a few errors. And he scored 90+ in TES there, one of just three men to do so (along with Machida and Chan) and he did medal, which isn't bad for your GP debut.

That said Max does seem to lose some of the consistency we saw from him last year when he was a dark horse. Last year, he was hitting quads like it was going out of style.

In any case, Max is not out of it.