Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I want Jason Brown and Richard Dornbush. For me, they have the best programs of the American Men this year. Not only that, but these programs are all FUN too. Not just in a simplistic way either, but with a genuine and mature delivery. It would be a nice contrast to see at the Olympics, with all of the the super-serious programs that everyone else in the World is doing.

Jason Brown SP
Jason Brown LP
Richard Dornbush SP
Richard Dornbush LP (this Beatles program is better than Takahashi's this season...)

Both of these men are very capable on the technical side as well, if they skate their best. Jason Brown showed he can do a perfect LP with two 3Axels at Junior Worlds last year and his spins/footwork are among the best in the World. Dornbush has been inconsistent the past couple years, but he really does have very good technical ability. He already mastered the "perfect LP with no Quad" back in 2011 and he's just been trying to incorporate the Quads into his programs ever since then, which has tended to throw off other parts of his skating. He is the American man with the highest scoring potential if he actually puts it all together and I think this season he can make that push.

-----

Thoughts on the rest of the American Men and why I don't think they are as good this season:

Jeremy Abbott - His LP has been watered down choreographically from what it was in 2012 and an annoying music edit has been added in. This program is no longer special. It's just run-of-the-mill CoP fare. Abbott can still be a special performer at times, but this program no longer sets him apart. The same goes for his SP, which is such an empty attempt at something "different".

Max Aaron - His programs and basic movement are the worst. He has the highest technical potential but is he actually capable of delivering 3 Quads in the LP? I highly, highly doubt it.

Adam Rippon - He still doesn't have a consistent 3Axel and his Quad is nowhere near consistent, not to mention that it should always be getting -3 GOE in the SP, since there are NO transitions going into it (required for the solo SP jump). I think his programs have some nice qualities, but they aren't particularly creative or memorable. He has really improved his basics, but ultimately it's not enough considering the jump issues.

Joshua Farris - An all-around good skater that has yet to show anything truly special.

Ross Miner - He was so good at 2011 Worlds (should have finished 5th!). I was hoping he would continue to build upon that, but unfortunately his programs and skating since then have always been less interesting. Since he has also been incredibly inconsistent on the technical side lately, this really isn't his season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max and Josh.

And Jason.

And Ross...

Oh. Bugger.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Tough... I know I'd rather not see Max, Adam and Evan go though. Jason is delightful, but I don't know if his relatively sparse technical content plus his inexperience would make him a good choice. Josh also with the inexperience. On the other hand, Richard, Ross and Jeremy are potentially great but have major bombing potential. I like a lot of these skaters, but it's so hard to pick out of them.

Moment

Final Flight
Richard because he's the cutest.

Jason has the most potential artistically, but I'm not a fan of his new LP at all.

Sara

On the Ice
I saw Ricky skate live this year and even though he has a lovely character, I think his skating was a bit blaah. He was sooo focused on getting everything together technically that he kind of forgot to present his programmes. That's why I found him a bit boring to watch. I love skaters who show their emotions on the ice. For this reason I wouldn't choose Max either. I would choose Adam, he has improved a lot, I just love his skating and the artistic side of him! Second one is tricky... probably Jeremy or Jason.

Matilda

Medalist
Adam and Jason (I know he doesn't have a quad, but that LP is insanely difficult anyway). I'd be fine with Max, Ricky, or Josh as well. None of them are consistent with their programs yet, so it really depends on who gets his act together by January. I'm ruling Jeremy out--he just can't handle his nerves in international competitions 95% of the time.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right at this moment, I choose:

Adam Rippon and Joshua Farris
or
Joshua Farris and Jason Brown
or
Adam Rippon and Jason Brown

As long as the 2 man team has 2 of the 3, I'll be pleased. :yes:

I :love: Jeremy Abbott and always will, but my faith in him in competition is just :no::cry:. *SIGH* and *UGH* x infinity and beyond!!! :bang:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lets face it no US man is going to medal at the Olympics so i think i'd like to see the future of US skating go for the experience and that is Jason and Joshua. Aaron without his quads is subpar Jeremy has lost it mentally and jump wise Adam simply doesn't skate big enough or do quads and his 3axels are still shaky and Miner seems to be done. I'd maybe pick Dornbush over Josh but he has yet to skate a clean program as a Senior i think since Nationals 2011.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Heart: Jeremy and Ross - It will be Jeremy last season and Ross wants to skate for Boston on Olympic ice.

Head: Max and Jason - Max has the most point potential off his tech. Jason can capitalize on his PCS/GOE and slip past flawed skates.

Gallbladder: Jason and Joshua - If a medal is a long shot then give the kids a valuable learning experience on Olympic ice.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Once Josh gets his quad down and skates some clean programs he will be a threat to anyone. It just seems he lacks the confidence that Jason has sometimes.

babyskate

On the Ice
My dream US National podium in any order (I will list in age order) : Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Joshua Farris.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I definitely want Max. He brings the most excitement & determination to competition. His season has just begun & I believe by January '14 he will once again be landing his quads. I was impressed by Adam. He's a lovely skater but his quad, triple axels are suspect. I love Jason but I don't believe he is ready for the Olympics this time around. I don't understand what is going on with Ross? Josh has potential, seems to be focused & hard working, Abbott is through, & I'm looking forward to seeing Ricky in China. I truly hope he brings his A game. I wish Stephen Carriere had a GP so I could gauge his skating/consistency this season. I'd be ok with any one of these men to make the team with Max. (except for Abbott. His confidence in himself is gone.)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
No Jeremy; he may have the best edges in America and it's great when he lands his jumps, but his head is just not there. I am sure Yuka is sick of hearing his excuses.

I love Adam this year - he seems much more confident. So I'm going with Adam and Jason just for the experience; but neither of them will be near the podium at Oly's.

ghislaine

Rinkside
Adam and either Joshua or Jason. Jason is quite consistent and though he has low base TES scores his GOE and PCS are very high. Adam is experienced, has high GOE and PCS, has good TES. and is rotating (if not landing) a quad with higher BV than a 4S or 4T. Joshua is inconsistent but his programs are beautiful and he has high base TES. Max skates like a junior. I love Jeremy and it would be nice for him to have a good Olympics, but I am very disappointed in his programs this season and his jumps are missing in action.

Confused by everyone saying Evan...we haven't seen him in nearly four years. Frank said in an Icenetwork article that he has no idea about Evan's condition, other than he has a bevy of injuries.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Adam and Jason but I don't think Jason is consistent enough with the 3A to merit going. Adam's quad is not consistent and to be honest I agree he should be penalized more for the sp. I like Max's esxplosiveness but without the jumps he really gets lost in the heap. Minor had his minor blip for greatness a couple of seasons ago but he has failed to find it. Imho Evan had his chance and is pushing his luck. Yes, the rules guarantee him a spot at nationals (I think that is such a stupid rule - so we are promoting entitlement???) Olymics has a way of bring a lot of surprises so it is possible I guess the 3 japanese men, Ten, Chan, Fernandez could falter but then again it seems like the American men have to fight Reynolds, Brezina, Verner, Joubert and Amodio to name but a few still