Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

lcd

Match Penalty
Still 2+ months between now and Nationals/Olympic trials. Would be awesome in my book to see Adam maintain his momentum on the technical front and for Ross to just calm down/be less worried/skate with more freedom and confidence.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I want : Max Aaron and Joshua Farris to make the team (and if Evan Lysacek comeback I would replace Joshua by Evan)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Let's consider the team event. I want Jason to skate the SP and Max to skate the LP. So they have to be the 2 to go.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I never thought I'd say this, but I wouldn't mind Evan being on the team. The American men are so unreliable, many of them are as capable of winning a GP medal as they are finishing dead last. If everyone skated their best I'd love to see Jeremy and Adam, perhaps Max for a little more excitement with the jumps.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan can't even get on the ice and compete at this point. Unless by a miracle he heals up what kind of shape will he be in? 4 years have gone by now and the sport has evolved and i don't see him landing a quad especially with all these injuries.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Farris and Brown. None of the U.S men have a hope of a top 5 at this point, so might as well send the U.S future. If not them some combination of Dornbush, Aaron, Rippon. A huge NO to Miner, Abbott, or Lysacek.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Evan can't even get on the ice and compete at this point. Unless by a miracle he heals up what kind of shape will he be in? 4 years have gone by now and the sport has evolved and i don't see him landing a quad especially with all these injuries.

Exactly. I doubt he even skates at Nationals and unlike Kwan in 2006 there is no chance in hell he gets a bye to the team if he doesnt (nor do I think he will ever be able to skate well enough to legitimately make it if he does somehow compete).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just some data for your consideration:

Total score

Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
---------------------------------------
Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
---------------------------
Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
---------------------------
Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
Adam Rippon 37.03 (SC)
--------------------------
Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
------------------------------
Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
Max Aaron: 90.47
Adam Rippon: 83.01
Joshua Farris: 74.80
------------------------
Jason Brown: 68.69
Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
Adam Rippon: 82.08
Jason Brown: 79.56
Jeremy Abbott: 77.78
-----------------------
Joshua Farris: 73.78
Max Aaron: 72.98
Ross Miner: 69.64

If I did a 15, 10, 5 point system (outside of top three gets zero points) and all factors were equal, here's what you got:

Adam: 75
Jason: 55
Max: 50
Jeremy: 20
Josh: 10
Ross: 0

Base on the statistics on hand, send Adam for sure and have Jason and Max duke it out at 4CC. But of course it's the first GP of the season and we haven't seen Richard Dornbush yet. But just a fun little exercise.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmm, maybe I should expand.

Yes:

Max: because he's fun, exciting, super jumps, always gives you everything, always putting in a huge effort and always trying something new. I think SLC and SkAm were a blip on the radar; he's had to scale back the jump focus to focus on getting the "artistry" in there (really, it was fine before!), but I'm expecting a much better showing at NHK and Nationals.

Joshua: because he's wonderfully talented, such lovely skating, and because I will not object to seeing Schindler's List as many times as possible this season.

Jason: because he's wonderfully talented, brilliant, so much fun and joy in an adorable bundle, and would just light up a world arena.

Maybe:

Adam: Because where did this Adam come from? So smooth! Jumps so nice! So...both programs! But wait! Will he keep it up? Or will the old Adam re-emerge?

Ross: Because it's Ross. :D His jumps give me the heebie-jeebies though. He always looks off-axis to me.

No:

Jeremy: Sorry kiddo. But you've had lots of chances and you've blown every single one, and I have seen nothing so far to tell me otherwise. A gorgeous skater but one who can't be trusted.

Evan: Four years off and just expects to waltz onto the Olympic team? NO.

Haven't seen yet:

Dornbush. Too bland for my taste but we'll have to see how he goes and what he gives us this year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, forgot to add, I also want Max on the team because the amount of angst that would ensue among certain fans would be hilarious.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jason and one of Max and Joshua.
Need to build Jason up for 2018 and because his coach is amazing and I want to see more of her in HD.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Wow- what a tough question to answer! It's odd because I like a lot of the US men very much indeed, and have more guys I like a lot than I ever have in the past, but have no-one who I think is the surpassingly clear choice.

The only one I'm sure should not go is Ross. He is not that good when he's good and he is on a very bad downhill slope, plus I don't really see him as the future. That being said, I do find his skating pleasant and he seems like a lovely person. But his peak has come and gone and he is a bundle of nerves right now, plus he has technical issues I don't think he can fix quickly enough.

I am a HUGE Jeremy Abbott fan. Up until Skate Canada, I would have picked him for the team and hoped he could have a Paul Wylie moment at the Olympics. However, that is looking less likely after his disastrous outing at Skate Canada. It's not just that he popped jumps but also that his attitude as evident in the Kiss and Cry was really problematic and disturbing actually. Too many excuses made and not enough frustration with himself- in a positive way. I don't want skaters who have bad skates to sink into funks or dark depressions but I also don't want them to say things like "I didn't leave many points on the table" after they double both jumps in their triple triple combination and complain that the reason they did that is that they don't train the lutz out of the quad. I am disturbed by Jeremy's excuse making and also by the fact that he has had so many chances to shine internationally and just can't do it.

Quite the opposite of Jeremy, Joshua Farris went way up in my estimation this weekend, both because it was the first time I've seen his programs all the way through and I was extremely impressed with his basic skating and overall excellence- he really is the whole package- and because I liked his attitude. Unlike Jeremy, he expressed honest frustration with himself at missing jumps and apologized to his coaches rather than offering them excuses. He is a beautiful skater with lovely programs and if he can get his quad back and solid he is a threat in the future to stand not only on the podium but at the top of the podium on the world level. Greater consistency and a little more emotion and spark (which I do think he is capable of as he is very musical and he is obviously a spirited person) and he could be top-notch, or first rate as Dick Button would say. I am really excited about this guy!

I have always loved Adam Rippon's skating- he is a beautiful, artistic, balletic skater who also has that something special- charisma, flair, excitement. His jumps are vastly improved now that he's with Rafael. I'd like him to go to Olympics for his own sake but also to accompany his best friend and training mate Ashley Wagner- I think if each has the other, each will do better in his/her individual discipline, and they'd be adorable together in the Team Event. I do think Adam with clean skates is the only American male with the potential to medal at the Olympics. However, he has a history of inconsistency and could fall apart again- but somehow Rafael and Ashley seem to be helping him and this really might be his breakthrough year. I'd be thrilled for him if it is as I think he has a world of talent, has been through a lot, and could bring a lot of new fans to skating, my stepdaughter for one who has a HUGE crush on him. :)

Well, that brings me to Max. I am not generally a fan of the athletic, hockey type skaters like Elvis S, Joubert, etc, and Max falls into that group- fabulous jumps, not great posture or line, sparky but not moving. But if he lands his jumps he is exciting and thrilling, and I commend him for working on his artistry and really improving on that score this year. However, I am unsettled by his recent lack of consistency with his jumps and until he has a good outing with two solid programs, I'm not ready to put him on the team- he may be a flash in the pan if he can't get the jumps back.

The opposite of a flash in the pan and of Max in many ways is my favorite of them all, Jason Brown. I ADORE his skating and him- he is a total sweetheart and love and a great role model for my kids. He has the total package in spades except for the quad. Before Skate America I would have said for sure he should be on the team, but if he can't get his Triple Axel back in time for Nationals, then it's ok for him to wait four years and shine in 2018. He doesn't need top jumps to give exciting poignant special performances and even if he never medals on the world or olympic stage he will have made a huge contribution to skating with his dynamism, soulful quality, innovative choreography, and beautifully constructed/delivered programs.

SO where does this leave me? At this point, I'd put Adam and Jason on the team. But if Jason continues to have axel problems, I'd go with Adam and Josh.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jason and one of Max and Joshua.
Need to build Jason up for 2018 and because his coach is amazing and I want to see more of her in HD.
I agree with you re Jason's coach! She is so simultaneously soothing and galvanizing for him, and she is also one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen! Plus I LOVE their connection and bond. I never want Jason to leave her and that's one of the reasons I root so hard for him to get the quad so people will stop telling him he needs a different technical coach!

ghislaine

Rinkside
Oh, forgot to add, I also want Max on the team because the amount of angst that would ensue among certain fans would be hilarious.

I get you don't like Jeremy Abbott or his fans, but could you please refrain from being passive-aggressive about him? That's not a great reason to want someone at the olympics.........

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Let's consider the team event. I want Jason to skate the SP and Max to skate the LP. So they have to be the 2 to go.

My politically correct answer ;): I want the Olympic spots to go to the two men who are most successful at Nationals (and possibly other events this season).

My subjective answer :):
Max Aaron and Jason Brown would be my dream team too.
I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
My politically correct answer ;): I want the Olympic spots to go to the two men who are most successful at Nationals (and possibly other events this season).

I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating in all likelihood. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.

Great answer! See my long-winded reply above for my thoughts, but you've pushed me to clarify a little re Max- even though I am not a fan of his style of skating (heavily reliant on jumps, not a lot of flow or lightness), I love MAX as a person- his courage, cheerfulness, and energy. I agree- if he is skating in top form he would be wonderful on the team for just the reasons you say. and I also am thinking about this in terms of who will bring the most new fans to skating- Jason for sure and then either Max or Adam. Joshua in time but not yet.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.

Haha. My political correct answer was whatever my statistic number crunching gave me. :)

My subjective answer would be: Max and Jason too. I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.

That said, Jason's programs are awesome but his scores go down quite a bit if he isn't perfect due to the lack of a quad. However, he can pull out clean programs and score well. And I too love Kori Ade.

Max's high TES is the FS is a pretty good reason to send him. So I agree with Doris' assessment of Jason doing the SP and Max doing the FS in the team event. :)

But Adam looks really great and his FS is a beaut.

So I guess any two of Max, Adam or Jason, which happens to be the top three currently in my calculations. So...my political correct and subjective answer somewhat matches!

I agree with you re Jason's coach! She is so simultaneously soothing and galvanizing for him, and she is also one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen! Plus I LOVE their connection and bond. I never want Jason to leave her and that's one of the reasons I root so hard for him to get the quad so people will stop telling him he needs a different technical coach!

Also, anyone that induces early so she can be there for her student in nationals is definitely a keeper (Kori Ade induced early and gave birth to her daughter a few days before nationals and made it just in time to be there for Jason in 2010, when he won the national junior title). :biggrin:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Haha. My political correct answer was whatever my statistic number crunching gave me. :)

My subjective answer would be: Max and Jason too. I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.

That said, Jason's programs are awesome but his scores go down quite a bit if he isn't perfect due to the lack of a quad. However, he can pull out clean programs and score well. And I too love Kori Ade.

Max's high TES is a FS is a pretty good reason to send him. So I agree with Doris' assessment of Jason doing the SP and Max doing the FS in the team event. :)

But Adam looks really great and his FS is a beaut.

So I guess any two of Max, Adam or Jason, which happens to be the top three currently in my calculations. So...my political correct and subjective answer somewhat matches!

Also, anyone that induces one's baby so she can be there for her student in nationals is definitely a keeper (Kori Ade induced her daughter a few days earlier and made it just in time to be there for Jason in 2010, when he won the national junior title). :biggrin:

Mrs. P I agree with you and you guys are convincing me re Max over Josh- however I do love Adam and this is his time as he is older . . .

Just adore Jason and his coach together. I saw him tell Jenny and Dave that story about the induction on The Skating Lesson and it was so adorable how much he appreciates her.