Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Tripping on the Podium
    I really would love to see Ross Miner make the team but if he doesn't pull it together for trophee Eric bompard this week I fear his chances are over to make the team. If he doesn't start skating clean again (this week), even if he places first or second at nationals, I doubt they will send him. It sounds like the usfsa is looking at the entire season, not just nationals, when making their picks. I think Max is already "in", even though personally I think his skating skills (the in between stuff) are really lacking...sorry, but so true!

Medalist
    Yeah baby!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sskatergirl View Post
    I really would love to see Ross Miner make the team but if he doesn't pull it together for trophee Eric bompard this week I fear his chances are over to make the team. If he doesn't start skating clean again (this week), even if he places first or second at nationals, I doubt they will send him. It sounds like the usfsa is looking at the entire season, not just nationals, when making their picks. I think Max is already "in", even though personally I think his skating skills (the in between stuff) are really lacking...sorry, but so true!
    Where did you get the sense that the USFSA was considering the entire season's results? and/or that Max was already in? He certainly shouldn't be based on his results so far!

Custom Title
    Jeremy!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Where did you get the sense that the USFSA was considering the entire season's results? and/or that Max was already in? He certainly shouldn't be based on his results so far!
    He, like everyone else, MUST be in the top 2 at Nationals to go. None of our men have had a strong enough season to deserve special treatment.

Tripping on the Podium
    I just think his scores at nationals might be somewhat inflated based on what he is capable of, not necessarily how he performs, because he proved at worlds he can match up with the top 6. Sort of how Ashley Wagner ended up with first this past nationals, even though her free skate was atrocious.

Tripping on the Podium
    And to add to the above, I did read somewhere that Usfsa will consider results of the season in addition to placement at nationals. Ill see if I can find it and post. Japan's federation does the same thing (leaves it a little more open in case a favorite bombs at nationals).

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sskatergirl View Post
    And to add to the above, I did read somewhere that Usfsa will consider results of the season in addition to placement at nationals. Ill see if I can find it and post. Japan's federation does the same thing (leaves it a little more open in case a favorite bombs at nationals).
    Regarding the U.S., I believe you are referring to the discussion in this thread.

The U.S. Figure Skating selection procedures for Sochi are in this 73-page PDF:

And yes, technically the U.S. rules do allow for consideration of results other than 2014 Nats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Regarding the U.S., I believe you are referring to the discussion in this thread.

The U.S. Figure Skating selection procedures for Sochi are in this 21-page PDF:

And yes, technically the U.S. rules do allow for consideration of results other than 2014 Nats.
    I think this is actually a good policy , because what if someone who's been consistently great all season has the flu the week of Nationals and flubs their programs? I also think that Max has lost or should lose any privileged position he had going into this year with 3 bad competitions in a row (SLC, Skate America- long was ok but short was dismal, and NHL). If he pulls things together and has a great Nationals then he can be back in the thick of things, but as of now, the team has got to include Adam and either Jeremy or Jason/Josh depending on how they do in their remaining competitions. Sadly I think Ross has been dismal in every competition since last year's Nationals and unless he performs brilliantly in his remaining competition and at Nationals, they will not send him.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I think this is actually a good policy , because what if someone who's been consistently great all season has the flu the week of Nationals and flubs their programs? I also think that Max has lost or should lose any privileged position he had going into this year with 3 bad competitions in a row (SLC, Skate America- long was ok but short was dismal, and NHL). If he pulls things together and has a great Nationals then he can be back in the thick of things, but as of now, the team has got to include Adam and either Jeremy or Jason/Josh depending on how they do in their remaining competitions. Sadly I think Ross has been dismal in every competition since last year's Nationals and unless he performs brilliantly in his remaining competition and at Nationals, they will not send him.
    Max won the bronze at Skate America -- sixth place SP + second place FS.
    Abbott won the bronze at NHK -- seventh place SP (would you call that dismal?) + third place FS.

So .. I don't see that Abbott is clearly having a better season than Max.

I wasn't aware that Max ever had a privileged position in terms of selection of the Olympic team.

And BTW, if Max really had had the opportunity to compete in the NHL [forgive me, I couldn't help noticing your innocent typo ], then I think he might reconsider whether to pursue an Olympic slot in figure skating, LOL.

Long thread, are there Adam fans? like a fine wine he is aging so well! I almost don't care who else, but if Max can do two quads in his LP then it does not matter what else. Funny thing is he makesTimmy Goebel look like a superb artist. Timmy did work so hard on presentation. Such a fast turner in the air. But Max- Wow, he really has no skating skills-just let him blaze and jump! Ross is simply not world class and I don't think he ever will be. I wish Lysacek was returning fo real.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Max won the bronze at Skate America -- sixth place SP + second place FS.
    Abbott won the bronze at NHK -- seventh place SP (would you call that dismal?) + third place FS.

So .. I don't see that Abbott is clearly having a better season than Max.

I wasn't aware that Max ever had a privileged position in terms of selection of the Olympic team.

And BTW, if Max really had had the opportunity to compete in the NHL [forgive me, I couldn't help noticing your innocent typo ], then I think he might reconsider whether to pursue an Olympic slot in figure skating, LOL.
    Oh my gosh, golden411, that is hilarious about my typo! I know some people on this board have described Max as skating like a hockey player.

Someone above said that Max did have a privileged position- was considered a lock to make the team- that's what I was referring to.

I think the thing re Max's season is that he was just awful at SLC too and he hasn't shown much improvement and the thing that sets him apart- his quad- has mostly deserted him. Jeremy had a strong skate at Japan Open, then a terrible competition, and then a great one. He is also a much more complete skater and with a clean program could potentially even medal at Olympics. Max without his jumps just can't score well and he doesn't have his jumps yet. That's not to say he won't get them, but if we had to vote today, I would vote for Adam for sure and probably Jeremy or Jason/Josh who are both more complete skaters than Max.

Also, Max's short at Skate America was much worse/more error-ridden than Jeremy's at NHK- the competition at NHK was stiffer and so Jeremy ended up 7th but only out of third by a tiny margin. In the Olympics, a short like the one Max skated at Skate America/NHK would have him totally out of contention while Jeremy's NHK short would probably have him much higher up.

I am not a Max hater at all- I love his personality and admire his work ethic and athleticism but without his jumps being solid, consistent, and strong, I don't think he should go to Olympics or Worlds.

Custom Title
    Oh my gosh, golden411, that is hilarious about my typo! I know some people on this board have described Max as skating like a hockey player.
    Max IS a former hockey player. He was even Team USA. He played until he was 16.

I think the thing re Max's season is that he was just awful at SLC too and he hasn't shown much improvement and the thing that sets him apart- his quad- has mostly deserted him.
    I disagree. Max has been improving with every outing.

Jeremy had a strong skate at Japan Open, then a terrible competition, and then a great one. He is also a much more complete skater and with a clean program could potentially even medal at Olympics.
    But Jeremy is also a total headcase and having had one or two good skates this season is not likely to do so again. That has been his pattern for the last four years. Jeremy is a gorgeous skater and very complete as you say - but he is much, much more likely to implode than Max is.

I am not a Max hater at all- I love his personality and admire his work ethic and athleticism but without his jumps being solid, consistent, and strong, I don't think he should go to Olympics or Worlds.
    I disagree. Max always fights for every program and on that alone I would sooner see him go than some who seem to roll over and die when things get rough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Max IS a former hockey player. He was even Team USA. He played until he was 16.

I disagree. Max has been improving with every outing.

But Jeremy is also a total headcase and having had one or two good skates this season is not likely to do so again. That has been his pattern for the last four years. Jeremy is a gorgeous skater and very complete as you say - but he is much, much more likely to implode than Max is.

I disagree. Max always fights for every program and on that alone I would sooner see him go than some who seem to roll over and die when things get rough.
    Wow he is a former hockey player?! That's great! Re improvement, I am in the minority of people who actually think he has improved artistically since last year- I think he's shown a lot of growth. But I do think NHK was a step back for him with the sole exception of actually landing a quad. and Jeremy showed that he could fight back from being in a bad position at NHK in rising from 7th to 3rd and in recovering from the early mistake on the quad.

But again, Max may well be looking fantastic by January. However, he is clearly not as competition ready without his jumps intact as either Adam or Jeremy at this point. and I'm hoping Jason and Josh wow us in the next few weeks as well!

Custom Title
    And you know what else? I wish more than anything that we had 3 spots for the men. We actually have many more promising men than ladies this year. I wish Max, Adam, Jeremy, Josh, Jason, and Ross could ALL go! They each have wonderful, unique qualities that I appreciate.

Further reassurance on Max though: I think this may be his big transition season where he is stretching and pushing himself hard to leap up from where he was, and he's going through necessary rough patches, false starts, errors etc all in the ultimate service of enormous growth and development. I have the utmost confidence that he will be a very successful skater for years to come- he has a fabulous work ethic, great athletic ability, and an openness to critique and honesty about his own current limitations/shortcomings which make it possible for him to really try to improve and develop. I also love his humility. He's adorable and immensely talented.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast