Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A clean performance? When has he given a clean performance this season? The closest was his SP in the US Classic where he put his hands down on his 4S.

I am just talking about this season. I am talking about the last year roughly altogether. This season is still young. Aaron has done some clean performances in the past year (which is rare for even the top men these days) and even when he makes mistakes he never has a meltdown. Heck one could easily say he is more consistent than any of Chan, Fernandez, Hanyu, Takahashi, although he is a much weaker skater than those as well. However he is the most consistent U.S skater and jumper bar none, no question. That doesn't mean he cant miss the team, and if he dosnt skate near perfect with all his quads there is a good chance he still will miss it as he is heavily dependent on those jumps.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Max is also prone to low levels ...

Not so fast. The truth is:

> Max held his own in levels at NHK (SP and FS), compared to Rippon and Abbott.​
> Max held his own in levels in the Skate America FS, compared to Rippon and Brown.
> Only in the Skate America SP were Max's levels lower.​

NHK SP:
- Rippon (4th place): FSSp4; CCSp3; StSq3; CCoSp4
- Abbott (7th place): FUSp4; CSSp4; CCoSp4; StSq3
- Max (8th place): CCoSp4; FCSp3; StSq3; CSSp4​
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2013/gpjpn2013_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

NHK FS:
- Abbott (3rd place): CSSp4; StSq4; FUSp4; ChSq1; CCoSp4
- Rippon (4th place): FCCoSp4; CCSp1; StSq3; ChSq1; CCoSp4
- Max (7th place): FCCoSp4; StSq3; FCSSp4; ChSq1; CCoSp4​
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpjpn2013/gpjpn2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Skate America SP:
- Brown (2nd place): FCSp4; CSSp4; StSq4; CCoSp4
- Rippon (3rd place): FSSp4; CCSp4; StSq4; CCoSp3
- Max (6th place): CCoSp1; FCSp2; StSq3; CSSp4​
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2013/gpusa2013_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Skate America FS:
- Max (2nd place): FCCoSp4; StSq3; FCSSp3; ChSq1; CCoSp4
- Rippon (3rd place): FCCoSp3; CCSp4; StSq4; ChSq1; CCoSp4
- Brown (6th place): CCSp3; CCoSp3; StSq4; ChSq1; FCCoSp4​
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpusa2013/gpusa2013_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Mm, not really. He didn't perform very well at Skate America and completely lost the performance at NHK. Max is also prone to low levels and if he makes mistakes he doesn't have reliable PCS to fall back on. His elements don't get a lot of GOE either. So far this season calling him reliable is a far, far stretch.

Going by the season so far, the Olympic team should be Adam and Jason.

Max has lost his edge as "the consistent one." I don't think he's been even close to clean in any of the 6 programs I've watched this year (SLC, Skate America, NHK) and he's had quite disastrous performances- the short at NHK for one.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Adam & Evan, or if Evan ends up not competing then Adam & Jeremy. I like Adam & Jeremy equally but since Jeremy's been to an Olympics I'm picking Adam over him. :)

My picks are based purely on personal preference and nothing more.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'd like Jason Brown but I don't think it's going to happen this year. If Evan competes at Nationals and skates Olympic-worthy programs I'd like to see him go back, and I guess I'd like Dornbush to go too. I'm bored with Abbott, Rippon, Farris and Miner. Adam is doing a bit better this season but I still don't find him enthralling and I'm not confident he'll deliver on a given day (to be fair, Dornbush isn't the most consistent either, by a long shot, but he's always been one of my personal favourite US men).

flutzy13

On the Ice
I have zero confidence that Jeremy will not implode at the Olympics. Jason is a joy and is the future of us men's skating. Since no other men are solid medal prospects, sending him is a great future investment. Then max if he gets his jumps back or Adam if he continues to look strong.

Just don't believe Evan will be back at this point. But he may keep talking comeback at the advice of his agent to stay in the spotlight for the net few months.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have zero confidence that we'll ever see Evan competing in an amateur competition again. There has been nothing to suggest he could even compete. People who are wishing for that are thinking back 4 years to an Olympic performance that probably wouldn't even make the top 10 this year. He had major assists from his competitors. I'm very happy he won the OGM for the US but I think that was the skate of his life. He's been injured, has had surgery, hasn't competed - why on earth would anyone think he's a viable candidate at this point.

I'm going to predict that Jason Brown wins Nationals and Adam Rippon comes in at second. Both will place in the top 10 at the Olys. Jason won't win without a quad but watch out for the next Olympics. His performances at Eric Bompard were magical. I don't think Ricky Dornbush has a chance in h*ll of skating a clean program in a competition. I just don't think he's a competitor and it's sad because he has mad skating skills.

The saddest thing is that Jeremy cannot put 2 programs together. If he could just get some consistency he'd be a major World contender.

Forgot to mention that I have no confidence that Max Aaron will be on any podium. He was an inconsistent skater before Nationals last year, had the skate of his life, and hasn't done a darn thing since then. He has the jumps but that's about it. He'll lose on presentation every time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
and hasn't done a darn thing since then.

Ahem. Max's results post-Nationals:

Four Continents: 4th (1st US man)
Worlds: 7th (1st US man)
Salt Lake City: 1st (1st US man)
Skate America: 3rd (2nd US man)
NHK Trophy: 7th (3rd US man)

That's hardly "hasn't done a darn thing" since Nationals. It's a lot more than some.

And you are forgetting that next week we will see the second outing for both Dornbush and Farris. I don't know about Dornbush, but there's every chance Joshua has fixed his bobbles and will give us something as memorable as Jason did.

For the record, here is my predicted Nationals podium: Jason, Joshua, Max, Adam. Not yet sure of the order. Lysacek would struggle to make top five.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
As someone who watches figure skating more for things like pure entertainment value, the way the skaters can draw me in with their programs and make me forget the world around me, and enjoying the musical pieces, instead of really focusing on the techniques, I would love to see Jason Brown make it to Sochi. That man has an air about him, such a presence on the ice.
It would be great experience, and maybe then in four years' time he will be a title candidate. :)

centerpt1

On the Ice
None of the US men are likely to medal unless there are multiple meltdowns above them. All would love the experience. It really doesn't matter who goes in terms of results. So let Nationals be the determining factor. I just hope Nationals is judged fairly-no "quad bonus PCS " or "lifetime achievement awards" or anything else of that nature.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... In any case, Max is not out of it.

Ahem. Max's results post-Nationals:

Four Continents: 4th (1st US man)
Worlds: 7th (1st US man)
Salt Lake City: 1st (1st US man)
Skate America: 3rd (2nd US man)
NHK Trophy: 7th (3rd US man)

That's hardly "hasn't done a darn thing" since Nationals. It's a lot more than some. ...

Plus ... Max placed 4th overall at 2013 World Team Trophy -- above Abbott (6th), and above Joubert, Kovtun, Yan, etc.

Note that Abbott did not compete at Worlds whereas Max did -- so their relative placements cannot be dismissed with the reasoning that most WTT competitors are exhausted after Worlds.​

Max was 6th in the SP, and 3rd in the FS. (Abbott was 4th and 6th, respectively. Chan was 5th in the FS.)

.... All would love the experience. ....

:agree: Regardless of the projected duration of anyone's skating career, each man on a personal level of course would love to have the experience and lifelong honor of representing the U.S. in Sochi. Once an Olympian, always an Olympian.
Like centerpt1, I hope that the Sochi slots go to the men who have achieved the best results in the here and now -- of Nationals and of this season.

(That said, if USFS chooses to give Brown and Farris extra consideration for Sochi b/c the experience would be valuable to them as potential competitors in PyeongChang, then Max deserves the same consideration. He said over the summer that his eyes are on 2018 as well.)

... I just don't see Max making the team at this point- having the quads planned means nothing if he can't execute them. and he's only executed one- very shaky- quad in major competitions this season.

What do you mean by only one quad this season? :confused2:
True that the GOEs left something to be desired, but Max was credited with a total of seven quads at his GPs. None were underrotated.
The only instance of popping was Max's second quad sal of his NHK FS (i.e., the one in the second half, and the third quad of his program). Double sal instead.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, whoever earns it at Nationals, whoever that may be.

As for who I hope earns it... at this point I've got to say Jason and Max. It's not as though any of the more mature skaters are likely to rank much (if any) higher than these two, and they'll be able to build on the experience.

I admit I've fallen off the Max bandwagon a little bit... I was approaching uber last season, but I'm disappointed in the programs.

On the other hand, I was so-so on Jason last season, and I'm crazy for him now.

Moral of the story: If you want my lasting "love" then you better deliver, fellas. And... I've got a short attention span.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max has lost his edge as "the consistent one." I don't think he's been even close to clean in any of the 6 programs I've watched this year (SLC, Skate America, NHK) and he's had quite disastrous performances- the short at NHK for one.

Max will have to deliver at Nats, for sure. Meanwhile, I would prefer to see his glass as half full.

In terms of Max's SP numbers, NHK was an improvement over Skate America in total score, total PCS, and each of the five components. :yes:
In other words, he owes his season's best SP score at NHK to his component scores.

According to Max, increasing his component scores has been an important goal this season, in addition to going big with his technical content. Synthesizing his dual emphases has been a work in progress that will continue through Boston ... and beyond. :)

Amei

Record Breaker
Jason Brown- could he medal- probably not, but he's very exciting to watch. And I don't think Evan will go, it reminds me of Sasha trying to come back for the Vancouver Olympics.

I want Jason Brown and Richard Dornbush. For me, they have the best programs of the American Men this year. Not only that, but these programs are all FUN too. Not just in a simplistic way either, but with a genuine and mature delivery. It would be a nice contrast to see at the Olympics, with all of the the super-serious programs that everyone else in the World is doing.

Jason Brown SP
Jason Brown LP
Richard Dornbush SP
Richard Dornbush LP (this Beatles program is better than Takahashi's this season...)

Both of these men are very capable on the technical side as well, if they skate their best. Jason Brown showed he can do a perfect LP with two 3Axels at Junior Worlds last year and his spins/footwork are among the best in the World. Dornbush has been inconsistent the past couple years, but he really does have very good technical ability. He already mastered the "perfect LP with no Quad" back in 2011 and he's just been trying to incorporate the Quads into his programs ever since then, which has tended to throw off other parts of his skating. He is the American man with the highest scoring potential if he actually puts it all together and I think this season he can make that push.

Now that I've gotten a good look at Jason's program, I agree with you emphatically on him especially. He has a dynamic, well-integrated program, and I was especially impressed with the speed of his spins. Also, I like the way he uses his arms; he doesn't just freeze them at chest level and swing them from the shoulders. Whether he's ready this year or not we won't yet know, but I sure hope he is.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Jason Brown- could he medal- probably not, but he's very exciting to watch. And I don't think Evan will go, it reminds me of Sasha trying to come back for the Vancouver Olympics.

If it is a messy event, which an Olympics often is, a clean Jason could get the bronze perhaps. It is atleast as likely as Aaron or Abbott I would say.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here are the rankings of the U.S. Men on the ISU Season's Best list:

Overall:
#7: Jason Brown (243.09)
#8: Adam Rippon (241.24)
#10: Max Aaron (238.36)
#11: Jeremy Abbott (237.41)
#17: Nathan Chen (218.62) -- he's still doing juniors nationally though.
#19: Richard Dornbush (218.57)
#21: Joshua Farris (216.72)
#40: Ross Miner (196.89)
#50: Shotaro Omori (185.15) -- Did JGP but competing in seniors nationally

Short Program:
#8: Jason Brown (84.77)
#9: Adam Rippon (82.25)
#14 Jeremy Abbott (78.78)
#18: Max Aaron (76.21)
#21: Nathan Chen (74.22)
#24: Richard Dornbush (72.58)
#30: Shotaro Omori (70.58)
#34: Joshua Farris (69.14)
#40: Ross Miner (66.71)

Free Program:
#6: Max Aaron (162.45)
#7: Adam Rippon (160.98)
#8: Jeremy Abbott (158.63)
#9: Jason Brown (158.32)
#14: Joshua Farris (147.58)
#17: Richard Dornbush (145.99)
#19: Nathan Chen (144.40)
#35: Ross Miner (130.18)
#62: Shotoro Omori (112.57)

Basically the top 4 in all cases is Jason, Adam, Max and Jeremy in some order. However, we'll see if Josh and Richard can move up the list.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I want Adam to win Nationals and Jason to take silver. I find max unwatchable, and why did they mess with his eyebrows and hair. UHG! With no quad Jason is way down the list but he at least can perform well. He has two great Ward programs. I adore Adam-he is genuinely artistic-no faking. I guess we wont be seeing Evan again. He's such a great competitor, too bad.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I want Adam to win Nationals and Jason to take silver. I find max unwatchable, and why did they mess with his eyebrows and hair. UHG! With no quad Jason is way down the list but he at least can perform well. He has two great Ward programs. I adore Adam-he is genuinely artistic-no faking. I guess we wont be seeing Evan again. He's such a great competitor, too bad.

I too think it would be so wonderful for beautiful and gifted Adam to finally break through and become National Champion.