Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I totally agree about Ross. He has been frankly dreadful since Nationals. and I was a fan of his! Also, to be brutally honest, I find myself feeling like Ross is the reason we don't have 3 spots so to give him a spot if he miraculously manages to pull off a good skate at Nationals after a string of poor performances seems just not right to me.
    I don't follow.

Banned
    I hope you're right, PangTong fan! This is the way it SHOULD be done, I think.

BTW, congrats on your team's victory today! They are beautiful and touching- I love them too!
    Thank you! It is great to see them proving people wrong who were counting them out. A well deserved victory.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I don't follow.
    Ross's bad performance at 2013 Worlds is why the US men only have 2 spots for the Olympics. Max Aaron performed well, but Ross did not. Their combined total was over the limit needed to ensure 3 spots.

Thank you so much as always! I know Jason did really well in his Senior B, at Nebelhorn- didn't he skate two clean programs there? and Jeremy was good at the Japan Open. Did Adam compete in any Senior Bs? Max won but was weak at SLC.

I just don't see Max making the team at this point- having the quads planned means nothing if he can't execute them. and he's only executed one- very shaky- quad in major competitions this season.
    Yes, Jason had a clean short at Nebelhorn. His FS was OK, but he missed one of his 3A (it was 3A<<) and to a UR in his 3F-2T combo. His Skate America performance, technically was the worst.

Adam did not compete in any senior Bs.

Oh yes, I forgot about Jeremy and Japan Open. He scored 157+ but that score was pretty inflated, as he popped a bunch of jumps. His NHK FS was definitely his best effort thus far.

FWIW, I did calculate senior B scores in my rankings offline, but it would have not changed the standings that much. And the only non-GP dark horse perhaps worth talking about is Stephen Carriere, who has really lovely programs this year.

Ross's bad performance at 2013 Worlds is why the US men only have 2 spots for the Olympics. Max Aaron performed well, but Ross did not. Their combined total was over the limit needed to ensure 3 spots.
    Ross certainly didn't help in the effort to get three spots, but I didn't see any combination of U.S. men getting three spots with Patrick, Javier and three Japanese men, plus Kevin Reynolds did really well as well.

Max's 7th place finish was probably the best any U.S. man could have done, IMO.

Banned
    Miner would have had to come 5th, beating Reynolds. Even though Reynolds did not skate perfectly, I am not sure if he was capable of that even with his best, especialy in Canada.

Custom Title
    Max and Jason.

Joshua and Jason.

Jason and Joshua.

Max and Joshua.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Miner would have had to come 5th, beating Reynolds. Even though Reynolds did not skate perfectly, I am not sure if he was capable of that even with his best, especialy in Canada.
    But I'm not sure any other US man would've been able to come in 5th at that Worlds either, so I feel like the chances for 3 spots was doomed from the start.

I really don't find any of the US men reliable under pressure, no matter how much I love their skating (Jeremy Abbott).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    But I'm not sure any other US man would've been able to come in 5th at that Worlds either, so I feel like the chances for 3 spots was doomed from the start.

I really don't find any of the US men reliable under pressure, no matter how much I love their skating (Jeremy Abbott).
    Aaron is reliable under pressure. Miner was for awhile. Neither has the scoring potential though even at their best.

Abbott could score big if he ever skated clean (not just well, but clean, he is no Chan to the judges).

Dornbush shows potential but cant seem to get it together.

Rippon is too weak a jumper to ever really make it bigtime, although he could make the team.

Brown needs to improve as a jumper but already has quite a bit, and shows huge potential.

Farris shows potential but he seems to be stagnating a bit right now.

Custom Title
    While Ross' performance [b]guaranteed[/i] that the US wouldn't have three spots (14th, of course, being too low to get the magic 13 points) I'd assert that it was a bridge too far anyway. Max Aaron ranked 7th, so Miner needed 5th (pushing Aaron down to 8th) or 6th (in a universe where someone else skates worse and falls behind) for that to be possible.

Custom Title
    Aaron is reliable under pressure.
    I wouldn't quite call him reliable just yet. It's very apparent that he gets hit hard on PCS when he doesn't land his quads, and he's been inconsistent with his quads this season so far, so I'm still waiting on him to light it up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wouldn't quite call him reliable just yet. It's very apparent that he gets hit hard on PCS when he doesn't land his quads, and he's been inconsistent with his quads this season so far, so I'm still waiting on him to light it up.
    for the standards of the current U.S men he is. He never has a meltdown and often can do a clean performance.

Custom Title
    But the really excellent part about Aaron is even if he messes up the first jump or two, he still fights for the rest of the program. Some skaters do this. Others roll over and die when things aren't going well.

Custom Title
    for the standards of the current U.S men he is. He never has a meltdown and often can do a clean performance.
    A clean performance? When has he given a clean performance this season? The closest was his SP in the US Classic where he put his hands down on his 4S.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    But the really excellent part about Aaron is even if he messes up the first jump or two, he still fights for the rest of the program. Some skaters do this. Others roll over and die when things aren't going well.
    Mm, not really. He didn't perform very well at Skate America and completely lost the performance at NHK. Max is also prone to low levels and if he makes mistakes he doesn't have reliable PCS to fall back on. His elements don't get a lot of GOE either. So far this season calling him reliable is a far, far stretch.

Going by the season so far, the Olympic team should be Adam and Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by ghislaine View Post
    Mm, not really. He didn't perform very well at Skate America and completely lost the performance at NHK. Max is also prone to low levels and if he makes mistakes he doesn't have reliable PCS to fall back on. His elements don't get a lot of GOE either. So far this season calling him reliable is a far, far stretch.

Going by the season so far, the Olympic team should be Adam and Jason.
    To be fair, Max placed 2nd in the FS at Skate America even with a few errors. And he scored 90+ in TES there, one of just three men to do so (along with Machida and Chan) and he did medal, which isn't bad for your GP debut.

That said Max does seem to lose some of the consistency we saw from him last year when he was a dark horse. Last year, he was hitting quads like it was going out of style.

In any case, Max is not out of it.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast