Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 215

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Let's consider the team event. I want Jason to skate the SP and Max to skate the LP. So they have to be the 2 to go.
    This is a very interesting way to think about it!!!

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Oh, forgot to add, I also want Max on the team because the amount of angst that would ensue among certain fans would be hilarious.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Jason and one of Max and Joshua.
    Need to build Jason up for 2018 and because his coach is amazing and I want to see more of her in HD.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Wow- what a tough question to answer! It's odd because I like a lot of the US men very much indeed, and have more guys I like a lot than I ever have in the past, but have no-one who I think is the surpassingly clear choice.

    The only one I'm sure should not go is Ross. He is not that good when he's good and he is on a very bad downhill slope, plus I don't really see him as the future. That being said, I do find his skating pleasant and he seems like a lovely person. But his peak has come and gone and he is a bundle of nerves right now, plus he has technical issues I don't think he can fix quickly enough.

    I am a HUGE Jeremy Abbott fan. Up until Skate Canada, I would have picked him for the team and hoped he could have a Paul Wylie moment at the Olympics. However, that is looking less likely after his disastrous outing at Skate Canada. It's not just that he popped jumps but also that his attitude as evident in the Kiss and Cry was really problematic and disturbing actually. Too many excuses made and not enough frustration with himself- in a positive way. I don't want skaters who have bad skates to sink into funks or dark depressions but I also don't want them to say things like "I didn't leave many points on the table" after they double both jumps in their triple triple combination and complain that the reason they did that is that they don't train the lutz out of the quad. I am disturbed by Jeremy's excuse making and also by the fact that he has had so many chances to shine internationally and just can't do it.

    Quite the opposite of Jeremy, Joshua Farris went way up in my estimation this weekend, both because it was the first time I've seen his programs all the way through and I was extremely impressed with his basic skating and overall excellence- he really is the whole package- and because I liked his attitude. Unlike Jeremy, he expressed honest frustration with himself at missing jumps and apologized to his coaches rather than offering them excuses. He is a beautiful skater with lovely programs and if he can get his quad back and solid he is a threat in the future to stand not only on the podium but at the top of the podium on the world level. Greater consistency and a little more emotion and spark (which I do think he is capable of as he is very musical and he is obviously a spirited person) and he could be top-notch, or first rate as Dick Button would say. I am really excited about this guy!

    I have always loved Adam Rippon's skating- he is a beautiful, artistic, balletic skater who also has that something special- charisma, flair, excitement. His jumps are vastly improved now that he's with Rafael. I'd like him to go to Olympics for his own sake but also to accompany his best friend and training mate Ashley Wagner- I think if each has the other, each will do better in his/her individual discipline, and they'd be adorable together in the Team Event. I do think Adam with clean skates is the only American male with the potential to medal at the Olympics. However, he has a history of inconsistency and could fall apart again- but somehow Rafael and Ashley seem to be helping him and this really might be his breakthrough year. I'd be thrilled for him if it is as I think he has a world of talent, has been through a lot, and could bring a lot of new fans to skating, my stepdaughter for one who has a HUGE crush on him.

    Well, that brings me to Max. I am not generally a fan of the athletic, hockey type skaters like Elvis S, Joubert, etc, and Max falls into that group- fabulous jumps, not great posture or line, sparky but not moving. But if he lands his jumps he is exciting and thrilling, and I commend him for working on his artistry and really improving on that score this year. However, I am unsettled by his recent lack of consistency with his jumps and until he has a good outing with two solid programs, I'm not ready to put him on the team- he may be a flash in the pan if he can't get the jumps back.

    The opposite of a flash in the pan and of Max in many ways is my favorite of them all, Jason Brown. I ADORE his skating and him- he is a total sweetheart and love and a great role model for my kids. He has the total package in spades except for the quad. Before Skate America I would have said for sure he should be on the team, but if he can't get his Triple Axel back in time for Nationals, then it's ok for him to wait four years and shine in 2018. He doesn't need top jumps to give exciting poignant special performances and even if he never medals on the world or olympic stage he will have made a huge contribution to skating with his dynamism, soulful quality, innovative choreography, and beautifully constructed/delivered programs.

    SO where does this leave me? At this point, I'd put Adam and Jason on the team. But if Jason continues to have axel problems, I'd go with Adam and Josh.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Jason and one of Max and Joshua.
    Need to build Jason up for 2018 and because his coach is amazing and I want to see more of her in HD.
    I agree with you re Jason's coach! She is so simultaneously soothing and galvanizing for him, and she is also one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen! Plus I LOVE their connection and bond. I never want Jason to leave her and that's one of the reasons I root so hard for him to get the quad so people will stop telling him he needs a different technical coach!

  6. #36
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Oh, forgot to add, I also want Max on the team because the amount of angst that would ensue among certain fans would be hilarious.
    I get you don't like Jeremy Abbott or his fans, but could you please refrain from being passive-aggressive about him? That's not a great reason to want someone at the olympics.........

  7. #37
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,164
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Let's consider the team event. I want Jason to skate the SP and Max to skate the LP. So they have to be the 2 to go.
    My politically correct answer : I want the Olympic spots to go to the two men who are most successful at Nationals (and possibly other events this season).

    My subjective answer :
    Max Aaron and Jason Brown would be my dream team too.
    I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    My politically correct answer : I want the Olympic spots to go to the two men who are most successful at Nationals (and possibly other events this season).

    My subjective answer :
    Max Aaron and Jason Brown would be my dream team too.
    I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating in all likelihood. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.
    Great answer! See my long-winded reply above for my thoughts, but you've pushed me to clarify a little re Max- even though I am not a fan of his style of skating (heavily reliant on jumps, not a lot of flow or lightness), I love MAX as a person- his courage, cheerfulness, and energy. I agree- if he is skating in top form he would be wonderful on the team for just the reasons you say. and I also am thinking about this in terms of who will bring the most new fans to skating- Jason for sure and then either Max or Adam. Joshua in time but not yet.

  9. #39
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,988
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    My politically correct answer : I want the Olympic spots to go to the two men who are most successful at Nationals (and possibly other events this season).

    My subjective answer :
    Max Aaron and Jason Brown would be my dream team too.
    I would add that as the top two American men (IMHO) in terms of sheer charisma, they offer the bonus of drawing the most new American fans to men's figure skating. They have different styles as athletes, and they have different personalities as human beings, but the joie de vivre of each one is very appealing.
    Haha. My political correct answer was whatever my statistic number crunching gave me.

    My subjective answer would be: Max and Jason too. I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.

    That said, Jason's programs are awesome but his scores go down quite a bit if he isn't perfect due to the lack of a quad. However, he can pull out clean programs and score well. And I too love Kori Ade.

    Max's high TES is the FS is a pretty good reason to send him. So I agree with Doris' assessment of Jason doing the SP and Max doing the FS in the team event.

    But Adam looks really great and his FS is a beaut.

    So I guess any two of Max, Adam or Jason, which happens to be the top three currently in my calculations. So...my political correct and subjective answer somewhat matches!

    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I agree with you re Jason's coach! She is so simultaneously soothing and galvanizing for him, and she is also one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen! Plus I LOVE their connection and bond. I never want Jason to leave her and that's one of the reasons I root so hard for him to get the quad so people will stop telling him he needs a different technical coach!
    Also, anyone that induces early so she can be there for her student in nationals is definitely a keeper (Kori Ade induced early and gave birth to her daughter a few days before nationals and made it just in time to be there for Jason in 2010, when he won the national junior title).

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Haha. My political correct answer was whatever my statistic number crunching gave me.

    My subjective answer would be: Max and Jason too. I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.

    That said, Jason's programs are awesome but his scores go down quite a bit if he isn't perfect due to the lack of a quad. However, he can pull out clean programs and score well. And I too love Kori Ade.

    Max's high TES is a FS is a pretty good reason to send him. So I agree with Doris' assessment of Jason doing the SP and Max doing the FS in the team event.

    But Adam looks really great and his FS is a beaut.

    So I guess any two of Max, Adam or Jason, which happens to be the top three currently in my calculations. So...my political correct and subjective answer somewhat matches!



    Also, anyone that induces one's baby so she can be there for her student in nationals is definitely a keeper (Kori Ade induced her daughter a few days earlier and made it just in time to be there for Jason in 2010, when he won the national junior title).
    Mrs. P I agree with you and you guys are convincing me re Max over Josh- however I do love Adam and this is his time as he is older . . .

    Just adore Jason and his coach together. I saw him tell Jenny and Dave that story about the induction on The Skating Lesson and it was so adorable how much he appreciates her.

  11. #41
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,988
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Mrs. P I agree with you and you guys are convincing me re Max over Josh- however I do love Adam and this is his time as he is older . . .

    Just adore Jason and his coach together. I saw him tell Jenny and Dave that story about the induction on The Skating Lesson and it was so adorable how much he appreciates her.
    Slightly OT: But you should also listen to Kori Ade's interview with Manleywoman. The respect/appreciation is mutual: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-4...-us-nationals/

    Back to the topic on hand. It would be a great comeback story of sorts for Adam to make after struggling the last few years. I guess from a comeback/struggle story Adam and Jeremy would be a good pair.

    Or beautiful skating you can always appreciate: Jeremy, Jason or Josh

    The future: Max, Jason or Josh

    TES masters: Max and Richard (he is the only other skater among all these folks to score 90+ in TES in any competition)

    Friendly rivalry: Jason and Josh

    Underdogs: Jeremy and Ross

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    The only reason I haven't hoped for a combo of Josh/Jason just yet is because I'm not sure Sochi could handle that level of adorable.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I have always loved Adam Rippon's skating- he is a beautiful, artistic, balletic skater who also has that something special- charisma, flair, excitement. His jumps are vastly improved now that he's with Rafael. I'd like him to go to Olympics for his own sake but also to accompany his best friend and training mate Ashley Wagner- I think if each has the other, each will do better in his/her individual discipline, and they'd be adorable together in the Team Event. I do think Adam with clean skates is the only American male with the potential to medal at the Olympics. However, he has a history of inconsistency and could fall apart again- but somehow Rafael and Ashley seem to be helping him and this really might be his breakthrough year. I'd be thrilled for him if it is as I think he has a world of talent, has been through a lot, and could bring a lot of new fans to skating, my stepdaughter for one who has a HUGE crush on him.
    You wrote my exact thoughts about Adam! I would love to see him skate in Sochi!

  14. #44
    Simply the best. l'etoile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,056
    ITA with what OP said about Ricky Dornbush. He just has that it factor but is struggling to find his moment with quads.
    I want him on the olympic team! May the consistency God touch his skating again.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,828
    Aaron and Abbott if he actually gets his consistency back.

    But right now, I'd prefer Rippon over Abbott.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •