Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 215

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

  1. #46
    Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,109
    Adam and Joshua, and see wordsworth girl's post #34 for explanation. If pressed I could switch out Jason for Adam and just say, let the young 'uns go for the experience on the international stage, since it is unlikely any of the American men will medal anyway.



    But really, I won't be sorry if any two of Joshua, Adam, Jason, and Max goes. Great experience of a lifetime for any of them! Oh, and I wouldn't really rend my garments either if Dornbush or Miner gets tapped (not that I think it's likely), because again, unlikely even the strongest American's performance will land a spot on the podium, so go and have an experience to remember. But I'd rather send Adam and one of the young guns.

    I might have to gnash my teeth or rend a shirt or two if Abbott goes, however. Never have really enjoyed him but more than that I don't think he's ever much lived up to his hyped potential, and it's getting old watching him (literally) crash time after time. He's had plenty of international comps -- give someone else the experience.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,887
    I would not let Jason go to the Olympics. He will have a chance in 2018, and his lack of even attempting the quad, IMO, is immediately reason for keeping him off the team, even if the rest of his skating is brilliant.

  3. #48
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,124
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I would not let Jason go to the Olympics. He will have a chance in 2018, and his lack of even attempting the quad, IMO, is immediately reason for keeping him off the team, even if the rest of his skating is brilliant.
    That would be more of a factor if he was skating in Japan, where we've seen decent quads from Machida, Hanyu and Oda already this season.

    However, except for Max, none of the U.S. men have a consistent quad. Adam is close, but he hasn't landed a clean quad yet this season. Josh and Jeremy have rotated their quads but haven't had clean landings yet. Ross completely missed both his quad attempts. We'll see what Richard does at Cup of China.

    At this point, the current stats show that -- at this point in the game -- the lack of a quad does not keep Jason from getting solid scores relative to the other U.S. men if he skates a clean program. He still has the highest SP score and the third highest overall score among the men in the GP. And his PCS, even accounting for hometown inflation at SA are quite solid, for a first-year senior.

    Anyway, it's all a moot point if Jason doesn't finish in the top two at Nationals anyway.

  4. #49
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,172
    So even though his SA score is high and he made mistakes (which he will correct as he gets comfortable with this program) you'd keep him off the team for not attempting a quad? Successful quads have been pretty scarce so far this fall...and he's the type of skater who casual fans could fall in love with watching.

  5. #50
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,496
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Farris and Brown. None of the U.S men have a hope of a top 5 at this point, so might as well send the U.S future. If not them some combination of Dornbush, Aaron, Rippon. A huge NO to Miner, Abbott, or Lysacek.
    Aaron has said that his sights are set on a ticket to Sochi as his short-term goal -- and on 2018 as a long-term goal. He is both the present and the future.
    (Until he broke through and won Nationals, even Max himself did not consider 2014 a realistic goal.)

    Top five for Max in 2014 does not seem unthinkable to me.
    When he was seventh at 2013 Worlds, his overall score was within a point of Takahashi's and within two points of Reynolds'.
    Max was sixth in the FS, within a point of Mura.

    But first things first. Max knows that he has to earn his spot on the Sochi team. Can't and won't take it for granted. #attaboy

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,560
    Farris and Rippon would be my choices.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,314
    Aaron just lacks a lot of things to his skating other then quads as we saw at SA. Farris will pass him up soon if he can finally start landing quads again and so will Jason.

  8. #53
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,124
    Jason Brown is also focused on peaking in 2018, though qualifying in 2014 isn't out of the question.

    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...axels-kori-ade

    Kori Ade also response to the whole why send a guy w/o a quad assertion:

    "I think Team USA would like to send two guys with quads, but I haven't seen two guys with quads be able to put them out there consistently," she said. "I don't see why overall points can't trump somebody who tries a quad."
    The two guys is my emphasis. She definitely knows Max has the quad, but she's noting that there isn't two guys with that advantage. At least, not yet.

    2018 will be just as brutal. Vincent Zhou and Nathan Chen (who just won both his JGP events) will be in the mix as well by then.

    Ultimately, quad or not, what it comes down to is who can get the total points. If Jason and/or Josh can rack up the points to get one of those top two spots at Nationals, then they should be able to go.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Aaron just lacks a lot of things to his skating other then quads as we saw at SA. Farris will pass him up soon if he can finally start landing quads again and so will Jason.
    I wouldn't underestimate Max's jump arsenal. At Skate America FS, while his PCS was nearly seven points lower than Jason's, his TES was more than 20 points higher.

    I don't see Jason getting 90+ PCS to make up that gap-- that is Patrick Chan territory. Jason, however, lost approx 15+ between the two 3A mistakes in his FS.

    So if Jason cleans up his jump mistakes, he make up most of the gap. But again, Jason has to be clean for that to happen.

    Of course the same goes for Max. If he is not clean either and his jumps aren't there, he doesn't have the PCS to keep him afloat.

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Drakkanada
    Posts
    632
    I'd like to see Rippon and Aaron go, personally. Jason Brown is not ready IMO, I think he is too young and needs these next four years to develop. I feel sad about Jeremy Abbott, but... IDK, I just don't think he can get it together. :(

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I would not let Jason go to the Olympics. He will have a chance in 2018, and his lack of even attempting the quad, IMO, is immediately reason for keeping him off the team, even if the rest of his skating is brilliant.
    Honestly, a quad doesn't matter at all if it is followed by falls or pops on the triples that come afterwards, which is what we usually see. Some of Yuna Kim's best TES, with an extra jumping pass and factoring her PCS to the men's scale, would do quite well on the men's circuit, and she doesn't even do a 3A.

  11. #56
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,968
    Yes, exactly. You don't need a Quad if everything else you do is the best. A Quad is just one move. It gets you 5-6 more points in the SP (value as compared to 3Flip) and 7-8 more points in the LP (value as compared to 2Axel). There's the argument that Quads also boost PCS because of the excitement they bring into the performance, which is valid...but only if you deliver the rest of the performance and program on top of it. Extremely hard to do, which is why we so rarely see it happen. Quads are actually still a little undervalued in the current scoring system (especially with regards to doing Quad combinations), to be honest.

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    You wrote my exact thoughts about Adam! I would love to see him skate in Sochi!
    So glad I articulated your thoughts and that we're on the same page re Adam! yay! Have you listened to his interview on The Skating Lesson? He is wonderful in it and my love for him went up a new level after hearing it.

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Adam and Joshua, and see wordsworth girl's post #34 for explanation. If pressed I could switch out Jason for Adam and just say, let the young 'uns go for the experience on the international stage, since it is unlikely any of the American men will medal anyway.



    But really, I won't be sorry if any two of Joshua, Adam, Jason, and Max goes. Great experience of a lifetime for any of them! Oh, and I wouldn't really rend my garments either if Dornbush or Miner gets tapped (not that I think it's likely), because again, unlikely even the strongest American's performance will land a spot on the podium, so go and have an experience to remember. But I'd rather send Adam and one of the young guns.

    I might have to gnash my teeth or rend a shirt or two if Abbott goes, however. Never have really enjoyed him but more than that I don't think he's ever much lived up to his hyped potential, and it's getting old watching him (literally) crash time after time. He's had plenty of international comps -- give someone else the experience.
    Glad you liked my post! I spent a lot of time thinking about it and have really enjoyed participating in this discussion. I like what you say too!

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yes, exactly. You don't need a Quad if everything else you do is the best. A Quad is just one move. It gets you 5-6 more points in the SP (value as compared to 3Flip) and 7-8 more points in the LP (value as compared to 2Axel). There's the argument that Quads also boost PCS because of the excitement they bring into the performance, which is valid...but only if you deliver the rest of the performance and program on top of it. Extremely hard to do, which is why we so rarely see it happen. Quads are actually still a little undervalued in the current scoring system (especially with regards to doing Quad combinations), to be honest.
    Agreed. I think Jason with two clean performances could be top 10, even top 5, actually.

  15. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Dornbush, Brown, Farris, and Aaron all have potential be around for 2018. Brown and Farris for 2022 maybe even, although no point thinking that far ahead. I guess in theory Miner could be a contender for 2018, but I see that as unlikely the way things look now. Rippon, Lysacek, and Abbott are all done after this year, and none is likely to post even a respectable result in Sochi so I see no point in any of them being on the team. Given the current state of the U.S men it is best to look ahead and thus have 2 out of Dornbush, Brown, Farris, or Aaron on the team, whichever skates best at Nationals.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •