Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Custom Title
    Pangtongfan is correct. In part because of money the costs and lack of financial compensation. I know some skaters, prominent worked the zamboni or Starbucks still a lot of them come from very blessed homes financially wise. then some like Chan had sponsors and the Chinese community help out considerably his dad is a lawyer but "only" makes I think $170,000 Cdn (there is some list where you can see what he actually makes - Lewis Chan. OTOH Sarah Hughes dad is a big time NY lawyer and his salary in US dollars would be triple maybe quadruple that and that is without one of his daughter's nasty flutzes lol. Tara Lipiniski's dad was I believe an oil executive and I think Sasha Cohen''s family had money too.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    In an interview published today on the Universal Sports website, Max Aaron -- with his usual respect and goodwill -- rattled off a few names of his competition to make Team USA for Sochi.
    Abbott and Lysacek were the first ones whom Max mentioned. Then Miner and Farris. Max added, "The list goes on and on and on."

(Sorry, I forgot that GS does not allow links to Universal Sports. My original post that provided the interview link was diverted into a black hole ... )

ETA, I should have thanked A.H. Black and TanithandBenFan earlier for flagging the interview on FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Here's the updated list: ...
    Thanks for all your data, Mrs. P.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    In an interview published today on the Universal Sports website, Max Aaron -- with his usual respect and goodwill -- rattled off a few names of his competition to make Team USA for Sochi.
    Abbott and Lysacek were the first ones whom Max mentioned. Then Miner and Farris. Max added, "The list goes on and on and on."

(Sorry, I forgot that GS does not allow links to Universal Sports. My original post that provided the interview link was diverted into a black hole ... )

Thanks for all your data, Mrs. P.
    You're welcome.

It makes sense to me why he mentioned those names in particular first.

Abbott and Lysacek are past U.S. champions. And Lysacek, obviously, reigning OGM.

Miner and Farris were on the podium with him last year.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    You're welcome.

It makes sense to me why he mentioned those names in particular first.

Abbott and Lysacek are past U.S. champions. And Lysacek, obviously, reigning OGM.

Miner and Farris were on the podium with him last year.
    Agree ... although it would not have surprised me either if fresh memories of Brown and Rippon had caused their names to roll off his tongue before Miner and Farris (the interview took place after Skate America).

And because some posts in this thread are quick to write off Abbott and Lysacek, I think it is notable (in a good way) that the reigning U.S. men's champ believes that they remain very much in the mix.

ETA, on second thought:
    Maybe Max made a point of mentioning Miner and Farris -- to give them a friendly boost after their showings at Skate Canada International. Max taped the interview on Sunday, i.e., after their SCI results were known as well.

Custom Title
    Yes. But they had very different careers. Even was an fast-starter. He debuted at nationals at age 15 in 2001, but continued to compete at the junior level until the 2004 season. He debuted on the GP in the 2004-2005 season, winning two bronze medals and a surprise bronze at 2005 Worlds.

Jeremy is a late bloomer. It took him two tries to qualify at the novice level (6th in 2002) and two tries to make it on the junior level before winning silver at the junior level in 2004 and gold in 2005. He then failed to make sectionals at the senior level in 2005-2006 season (very competitive sectional field) and finally made it to nationals at the senior level in 2007. He debuted on the senior GP in 2007-2008, but got his first GP medals (gold at both Cup of China/GPF) the following season, his breakout season in 2008-2009, when he won his first national title.
    You are the best, Mrs. P! Amazing your command over these numbers, statistics, and comparisons. I'm very grateful, and I'm sure the rest of us are too!

Custom Title
    max and adam!!! they are the best contenders!!

Custom Title
    Well I’m hoping it’s between Jason, Adam and Jeremy but I have no expectations. I do feel that more than likely it will be Aaron and someone else.

I see Evan is modeling Olympic gear with D/W which feels strange because I just don’t see him going….I don’t think.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...hotos/related/

On the Ice
    I love Ross and think his skating is underrated, but his consistency has disappeared as of late. I'd like for him to surprise and prove me (and everyone wrong), however.
    I can't agree with you more Mrs. P (By the way my user name could be Mrs. P too!) I am so sad for Ross right now as I think he is overthinking things and very nervous since nationals. I think popping that axel at nationals must have got to him or something, as he could have been national champion and been the "it" guy this year. His skating is DEFINITELY underrated with his great edges and positions on spins. I am praying he pulls it together in Paris and proves everyone wrong!

Banned
    I agree popping the axel and losing Nationals Gold to Aaron was a huge blow to Miner, and since then it has been a bit downhill for him. He still has a chance but needs to snap it back together and fast.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Max Aaron - His programs and basic movement are the worst. He has the highest technical potential but is he actually capable of delivering 3 Quads in the LP? I highly, highly doubt it.
    But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry?

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    But he looks so sexy in his costumes this year. Doesn't that count as...ummm....artistry?

(I try to give reasons for my opinions.)
    If they gave bonuses for sexy, Max would be getting a twenty-point bonus at least every time.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Does anyone know if Alexander Johnson (USA) is skating in any gp events? He's also one of my favorites.
    He does not, sadly. (And no Senior B's either) He dealt with some injuries this summer, so it sounds like he's focus on recovery and getting to nationals.

skating philosopher
    Now that Richard has competed, here's my updated comparision.

Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
    Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
    Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
    ---------------------------------------
    Richard Dornbush 218.57 (Cup of China)
    Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
    Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
    Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
    Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
    Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
    Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
    ---------------------------
    Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
    Richard Dornbush 72.58 (COC)
    Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
    Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
    Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
    Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
    Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
    ---------------------------
    Richard Dornbush 36.47 (COC)
    Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
    Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
    Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
    Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
    Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
    Adam Rippon 37.03 (SC)
    --------------------------
    Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
    Richard Dornbush 36.11 (COC)
    Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
    Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
    Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
    Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
    Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
    ------------------------------
    Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
    Richard Dornbush: 145.99 (COC)
    Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
    Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
    Max Aaron: 90.47
    Adam Rippon: 83.01
    Richard Dornbush 76.61
    ------------------------
    Joshua Farris: 74.80
    Jason Brown: 68.69
    Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
    Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
    Adam Rippon: 82.08
    Jason Brown: 79.56
    Jeremy Abbott: 77.78
    -----------------------
    Joshua Farris: 73.78
    Max Aaron: 72.98
    Richard Dornbush 70.38
    Ross Miner: 69.64

So my updated score tracker: (15, first, 10 second, 5 third in each of the categories):

Adam: 75
    Jason: 55
    Max: 50
    Jeremy: 20
    Josh: 5
    Richard: 5
    Ross: 0

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Well I’m hoping it’s between Jason, Adam and Jeremy but I have no expectations. I do feel that more than likely it will be Aaron and someone else.

I see Evan is modeling Olympic gear with D/W which feels strange because I just don’t see him going….I don’t think.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...hotos/related/
    I'm completely with Lavendar. My two best choices are Jason and Adam. Jeremy WOULD be my top choice if he could just find it in himself to skate clean. I've always been an Adam fan and I think he's in such a good place right now. I hope it continues on through the rest of the season. Jason is joyful to watch!! And he's still so young that I hope he's around for the next Winter Olys.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast