Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

I look at it differently. I wish the whole language of "sending" someone to the Olympics or worlds would be dropped. To me, the athletes should earn the trip, not be "sent" by the omniscient federation chiefs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.

That's not a fact. The U.S. would have likely (again not saying its fact, just theory) had two spots in both REGARDLESS of who finished the top two because of the caliber of skaters from the U.S. skaters relative to the rest of the field. It is very unlikely that any combination of Denny/Coughlin, Castelli/Shnpai and Scimeca/Knerim would have gotten us three spots.

That also goes for the men. Max Aaron finishing in 7th was probably the best finish to expect from the men given the current level of competition.

And FWIW the women and ladies got three spots by sending its top two (ladies) and top three (dance) finishers at Nationals.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If that is not possible then at least send somebody who is young with great potential ( and we happily have 2 or 3 of those at least right now )and who will benefit greatly from the experieince and from the intrnational exposure . Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.

I think it is dangerous for the USFSA to send someone with "potential" to Worlds/Olympics who didn't earn the spot at Nationals. That opens the door for even more politicking than already exists. The men haven't done well at earning high placements but we don't have much depth; it isn't as if a male version of Michelle Kwan is staying home. I can't think of two men we have that I could say with any confidence would place high enough to get three spots.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That's not a fact. The U.S. would have likely (again not saying its fact, just theory) had two spots in both REGARDLESS of who finished the top two because of the caliber of skaters from the U.S. skaters relative to the rest of the field. It is very unlikely that any combination of Denny/Coughlin, Castelli/Shnpai and Scimeca/Knerim would have gotten us three spots.

That also goes for the men. Max Aaron finishing in 7th was probably the best finish to expect from the men given the current level of competition.

And FWIW the women and ladies got three spots by sending its top two (ladies) and top three (dance) finishers at Nationals.

The U.S getting 3 spots in pairs last year with any combination of pairs would be purely a fantasy. Was not going to happen if the event was hypothetically held 25 teams with any 2 U.S teams.

The men were incredibly unlikely too. Abbott was skating and competing poorly, and would have likely only placed around where Ross Miner did. Certainly wouldnt have been 5th or 6th.

noskates

Record Breaker
I felt sorry for Ricky Dornbush at Cup of China. But I fear he's just another Jeremy Abbott - skating in his head. When he's skating with confidence he's great. But he's not a competitor. I bet his programs in practice are World class! But I'm a believer of sending the 1st place and 2nd place man - whoever they are. I think you send someone with potential to Grand Prix events to condition them for Worlds and Olys.

macy

Record Breaker
At this point...Max and Adam. Max has the capability to deliver the jumps and pop off quads and by the time nationals rolls around I think he'll be much more prepared to do the 3 in the long. I really think he can do it. His jumps are so easy for him. Some people also say his artistic abilities have not improved since last season...in my opinion they have a little bit, I can see differences coming out in him especially in the short. Lets hope a couple more months will be enough time.

Adam REALLY impressed me at skate america. If he can hit his programs then he's my pick for the second spot. His artistry is beautiful and fluid and if Rafael can improve his consistency more by nats I think he'll be in good shape.

I would love for Jeremy to grab the second spot too...I've been rooting for him all along, I freaking love him. But if he doesn't pull it together by his next go he's done. I'm sorry to say it and it breaks my heart because this is his last season but I think that's the truth. :cry:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I think even without the quad Jason really has a chance to make the team. There are no consistent US Men at the moment and only Max lands quads regularly. His overall skating skills and performance skills make him a threat. I hope he goes for it he has nothing to lose. Same with Josh.
I agree with you. The intl judges like Jason and are scoring him highly. A clean program from Jason will probably be stronger technically than most of the men since he has two triple axels and lutzes in there and most of the other guys fall on their quads anyway!
That being said, I would love to have Adam on the team, and I ADORE Jeremy, and I really like Josh.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
it seems to me the USFSA needs to really think " out of the box" in their selection of men for Worlds and Olympics. The huge issue the selection committee faces is the obvious one - the skaters performances at this years Worlds dictate the number of skaters alowed for next year . BUT this concern does not exist for Olympics so , in reality , the Olympics represent a freebie of sorts ! One could argue that it is unfair to play games with skater's opportunites for Olympic medals but realistically , this year , no American male skater has a chance for the podium.
There is still the team event to consider , so I would suggest taking whoever wins the US Championships and then whoever finishes the highest amoung the young up-and-comers - likely it would end up between Josh and Jason This would give one young American skater a dream opportunity to absorb all that the Olympics are about in anticipation of 2018 when I really think both Jason and Josh could be contenders.
For Worlds I would again send the US Champion but then I would have a skate off at 4 Continents among whoever finishes 2nd 3rd and 4th at Nationals ,for the 2nd spot. We really need to have the 2nd skater be whoever is in the best shape and skating the best at the time for Worlds as , with the anticipated retirements post Olympics, our 2 skaters just might make that magical #13 for 3 spots next year. I would even go so far as to say that if the US Champion does not do well at the Olympics then he could be replaced for Worlds with the #2 finisher among the US skaters at 4 continents or the 2nd representative at the Olympics if he does especially well .
My ideas may not be perfect but the point is that the selection process doesnt seem to be working well and we need to get our younger skaters out there to get that all important International recognition

Interesting and Smart! I like your ideas! I agree completely that we need to get our younger skaters out there as much as possible. Both Josh and Jason have HUGE potential and could be future world medalists. and I adore Adam and Jeremy. Max is appealing too!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I think it is dangerous for the USFSA to send someone with "potential" to Worlds/Olympics who didn't earn the spot at Nationals. That opens the door for even more politicking than already exists. The men haven't done well at earning high placements but we don't have much depth; it isn't as if a male version of Michelle Kwan is staying home. I can't think of two men we have that I could say with any confidence would place high enough to get three spots.

See, I don't agree abt a lack of depth- in fact, I think we have TONS of depth, but no one STAR. There are about six men capable of medaling at Worlds post Chan/Daisuke and other retirements if they skate clean. Adam, Max, and Jeremy could all medal this year with clean programs! We forget this about Jeremy bec he's failed internationally too many times, but in 2010 Sandra and Scott picked him as a gold medal contender after his stunning performance at Nationals- 8 triples and a quad and gorgeous artistry- but then he fell apart. Jason and Josh are a few years away but I hope will. and Lysacek if he is healthy and strong is a good bet for a bronze medal at the Olympics or Worlds. And that's not even mentioning Ricky who has the goods but seems to have nerve issues and Miner who does seem done for this season at least but has been consistent with quads in the past.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
At this point...Max and Adam. Max has the capability to deliver the jumps and pop off quads and by the time nationals rolls around I think he'll be much more prepared to do the 3 in the long. I really think he can do it. His jumps are so easy for him. Some people also say his artistic abilities have not improved since last season...in my opinion they have a little bit, I can see differences coming out in him especially in the short. Lets hope a couple more months will be enough time.

Adam REALLY impressed me at skate america. If he can hit his programs then he's my pick for the second spot. His artistry is beautiful and fluid and if Rafael can improve his consistency more by nats I think he'll be in good shape.

I would love for Jeremy to grab the second spot too...I've been rooting for him all along, I freaking love him. But if he doesn't pull it together by his next go he's done. I'm sorry to say it and it breaks my heart because this is his last season but I think that's the truth. :cry:

Macy, I am so with you on Adam and Jeremy!! Adam is looking so strong and with clean programs could actually medal. Seriously! Gorgeous artistry, a quad lutz, and technical fixes from Rafael. A good head space too. and Ashley would be with him to support him!

Re Jeremy: I ADORE his skating and him and want him to break through so badly but he has muffed, failed, or otherwise screwed up so many times now that I just can't hope anymore- it's too painful! and I worry that he could skate great at Nationals and then fall apart at the Olympics- like he did last time! That's one of the reasons why it's so upsetting that we don't have 3 spots- I'd like Jeremy to skate solidly but not fabulously at Nationals (double his 2nd axel and not land his quad but otherwise clean) and then have his perfect performance (8 triples plus quad as he did at 2010 Nationals) at the Olympics and win a bronze!

Re Max- I like him fine as a skater and very much as a person, and I do agree with you that he's made strides with his artistry this year. What I'm worried about are his jumps! I saw him in Salt Lake City and at Skate America and his jumping is off this season! Here's hoping you're right that he'll pull it together in time for Nationals/Worlds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only reason I hesitate on Adam at this point is that IIRC, he's kinda like Jeremy. Gorgeous when on, has one or two great competitions a season, then falls in a heap when it really matters. But I may be confusing him with someone else.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
The only reason I hesitate on Adam at this point is that IIRC, he's kinda like Jeremy. Gorgeous when on, has one or two great competitions a season, then falls in a heap when it really matters. But I may be confusing him with someone else.

No, Karne, you're right- this has been Adam the past few years, but he switched coaches last year and really seems to have broken through. Let's hope so! Also, he has never had FABULOUS competitions the way Jeremy has, his issues were partly technical (so a coaching change to someone who can "fix" the jumps can really boost him), he only recently got a quad (as opposed to Jeremy who had it and has it and has no technique or technical issues at all- his are all mental) and he is much younger.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
If Evan is in good shape, and I have not read the update thread re him and Plush, then Evan as he is a seasoned comp. with great nerve, then his artistic opposite Adam. I love his skating, I could care less about number of triples, he is the most elegant male skater in the world, and a clear throwback to Curry and Wylie. He has become more consistent and confident. Adam could hold my attention with no jumps. Other than Chan or Dai, he has no other men in his league. Jeremy can be wonderful but the sheer volume of mistakes ruin the artistry he has in practice.

So Evan to lead the way if he is healthy and up to it and Adam for the sheer beauty of his skating. If Evan cannot be his usual amazing self then I still support Max, though I'm not so impressed with his programs, but he and Adam showcase two very different approaches to the men. Wishing them all well.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
If Evan is in good shape, and I have not read the update thread re him and Plush, then Evan as he is a seasoned comp. with great nerve, then his artistic opposite Adam. I love his skating, I could care less about number of triples, he is the most elegant male skater in the world, and a clear throwback to Curry and Wylie. He has become more consistent and confident. Adam could hold my attention with no jumps. Other than Chan or Dai, he has no other men in his league. Jeremy can be wonderful but the sheer volume of mistakes ruin the artistry he has in practice.

So Evan to lead the way if he is healthy and up to it and Adam for the sheer beauty of his skating. If Evan cannot be his usual amazing self then I still support Max, though I'm not so impressed with his programs, but he and Adam showcase two very different approaches to the men. Wishing them all well.

Skateluvr- I love what you say! I totally agree that Evan should go if he is healthy and that Adam would be a great second. I also agree with what you say about Adam being a throwback to Curry and Wylie and up there with Chan and Dai for the most elegant currently competing, and beautiful even without jumps. See what I say above abt my thoughts on Adam's improvements with jumps and consistency.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now that NHK Trophy's done...

Adam Rippon 241.24 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 238.36 (Skate America)
Jeremy Abbott 237.41 (NHK Trophy)
---------------------------------------
Adam Rippon 233.71 (NHK Trophy)
Jason Brown 231.03 (Skate America)
Max Aaron 223.35 (NHK Trophy)
Richard Dornbush 218.57 (Cup of China)
Joshua Farris 216.72 (Skate Canada)
Jeremy Abbott 215.95 (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 196.89 (Skate Canada)

Short Program
Jason Brown 83.78 (SA)
Adam Rippon 82.25 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 80.26 (SA)
---------------------------
Jeremy Abbott: 78.78 (NHK)
Max Aaron: 76.21 (NHK)
Max Aaron 75.91 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 74.58 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 72.58 (COC)
Joshua Farris 69.14 (SC)
Ross Miner 66.71 (SC)

Short Program TES
Jason Brown 44.85 (SA)
Adam Rippon 44.80 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 43.23 (SA)
---------------------------
Max Aaron 41.37 (SA)
Max Aaron 40.65 (NHK)
Jeremy Abbott: 38.82 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush 36.47 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott 35.30 (SC)
Josh Farris 33.11 (SC)
Ross Miner 32.15 (SC)

Short Program PCS
Jeremy Abbott 39.96
Jeremy Abbott 39.28 (SC)
Jason Brown 38.93 (SA)
--------------------------
Adam Rippon 37.85 (NHK)
Adam Rippon 37.03 (SA)
Ross Miner 36.56 (SC)
Richard Dornbush 36.11 (COC)
Max Aaron 36.56 (NHK)
Josh Farris 36.03 (SC)
Max Aaron 34.68 (SA)

Free Skate
Max Aaron: 162.45 (SA)
Adam Rippon: 160.98 (SA)
Jeremy Abbott 158.63 (NHK)
------------------------------
Adam Rippon: 151.46
Joshua Farris: 147.58 (SC)
Jason Brown: 147.25 (SA)
Max Aaron: 147.14 (NHK)
Richard Dornbush: 145.99 (COC)
Jeremy Abbott: 141.37 (SC)
Ross Miner: 130.18 (SC)

Free Skate TES
Max Aaron: 90.47
Adam Rippon: 83.01
Jeremy Abbott: 78.25
------------------------
Max Aaron: 78.20
Richard Dornbush 76.61
Joshua Farris: 74.80
Adam Rippon 73.60
Jason Brown: 68.69
Jeremy Abbot: 65.59
Ross Miner: 60.54

Free Skate PCS
Adam Rippon: 82.08
Jeremy Abbott: 80.38
Jason Brown: 79.56
-----------------------
Adam Rippon: 77.86
Jeremy Abbott: 77.78
Joshua Farris: 73.78
Max Aaron: 72.98
Richard Dornbush 70.38
Ross Miner: 69.64

So my updated score tracker: (15, first, 10 second, 5 third in each of the categories):

Adam: 80
Jeremy: 50
Jason: 40
Max: 40
Josh: 0
Richard: 0
Ross: 0

That one solid free program from Jeremy made him a factor again, now beating Jason (though Jason skates next week, we'll see if that changes anything). Anyway, despite his mistakes here, Adam still looks very good for now.

Sad to see Max drop a bit. Clearly though, it's become more of a nailbitter more than ever!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max Aaron finished next to last in PCS in the SP and last in PCS in the LP at NHK Trophy. With his jumps also continuing to go south, what does he have to rely on? He is definitely feeling burdened by the weight of his own expectations and he has not shown one performance and competition yet that displays that he deserves a spot on the Olympic or World team, IMO.

Jeremy Abbott's LP from NHK Trophy is one solid performance, but I am going to need to see him build upon that and build more consistency and confidence before changing my mind on him. It doesn't change that he was still last in TES in the SP at NHK Trophy.

After NHK Trophy, my nod still stays the same going to 2 out of 3 from Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, and Jason Brown.

Selene

On the Ice
Max Aaron finished next to last in PCS in the SP and last in PCS in the LP at NHK Trophy. With his jumps also continuing to go south, what does he have to rely on? He is definitely feeling burdened by the weight of his own expectations and he has not shown one performance and competition yet that displays that he deserves a spot on the Olympic or World team, IMO.

Maybe Max's jump layout is too challenging for him? Attemping 3 quads and 2 3A's in a LP is a lot, and he may me hard pressed to ever skate his program cleanly.

But he almost has to attempt that layout to be competitive, because his PCS is so bad internationally. I know he tried to improve his presentation over the offseason, but the judges aren't recognizing those improvements or responding well to his programs. His PCS seems to be declining, probably because he is not landing clean quads like he was at the end of last season.

I agree with you that if he doesn't get his jumps together, then he doesn't deserve to make the World or Olympic team - because, of all the American men on the Grand Prix circuit, his PCS is probably the worst.

I honestly don't know which two American men will make the Olympic team. It's such a crap shoot, because no skater stands out from the rest of the pack.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Rippon's stock is rising. His programs this season are among the best ever, and he is skating them beautifully--except for the quad and occasional triple axel snafus. His PCS numbers tend to hold up even with minor jump infractions. Aaron is really struggling technically with little PCS to boost the overalls score. If Abbott had an Olympic moment, a la Paul Wiley, he could medal. (Possibly, but that would be playing a really wild card!). Instead of playing "ifs, ands, & maybes", let Nationals serve its purpose: Throw politics out, and judge accurately and fairly. Send the skaters based on accurate, unbiased results, even if the team includes new, "unexpected" results.