Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Which American Men do you want on the Olympic Team?

Thanks again as usual, Mrs. P., for the real dope.

Custom Title
    I think even without the quad Jason really has a chance to make the team. There are no consistent US Men at the moment and only Max lands quads regularly. His overall skating skills and performance skills make him a threat. I hope he goes for it he has nothing to lose. Same with Josh.

Custom Title
    I think it is going to be a fascinating mash up of who USFS ends up sending to the 3 major post Nationals events. 2 spots for the Olympics but would be surprised if those same 2 also actually skate at Worlds. Post Olympic Worlds are always about "the alternates list!"

Custom Title
    it seems to me the USFSA needs to really think " out of the box" in their selection of men for Worlds and Olympics. The huge issue the selection committee faces is the obvious one - the skaters performances at this years Worlds dictate the number of skaters alowed for next year . BUT this concern does not exist for Olympics so , in reality , the Olympics represent a freebie of sorts ! One could argue that it is unfair to play games with skater's opportunites for Olympic medals but realistically , this year , no American male skater has a chance for the podium.
    There is still the team event to consider , so I would suggest taking whoever wins the US Championships and then whoever finishes the highest amoung the young up-and-comers - likely it would end up between Josh and Jason This would give one young American skater a dream opportunity to absorb all that the Olympics are about in anticipation of 2018 when I really think both Jason and Josh could be contenders.
    For Worlds I would again send the US Champion but then I would have a skate off at 4 Continents among whoever finishes 2nd 3rd and 4th at Nationals ,for the 2nd spot. We really need to have the 2nd skater be whoever is in the best shape and skating the best at the time for Worlds as , with the anticipated retirements post Olympics, our 2 skaters just might make that magical #13 for 3 spots next year. I would even go so far as to say that if the US Champion does not do well at the Olympics then he could be replaced for Worlds with the #2 finisher among the US skaters at 4 continents or the 2nd representative at the Olympics if he does especially well .
    My ideas may not be perfect but the point is that the selection process doesnt seem to be working well and we need to get our younger skaters out there to get that all important International recognition

Whoever is going to the Olympics is not going to 4C. Timing and location are not conducive to solid training for the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Okay what about Evan OGM winner Lysacek? Right he is probably considered more of a pretender????
    I would like to see him if he is preparing a comeback. If not, I hope Jason Brown qualifies, I like his skating a lot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Whoever is going to the Olympics is not going to 4C. Timing and location are not conducive to solid training for the Olympics.
    exactly - my suggestion doesnt involve anybody going to 4 C's who would be on the Olympic team - I would use 4 C's to finalize the World team.

Custom Title
    I think it's better to send the #2 finisher to both. That makes the stakes higher for the skaters and we can see who has the competitive toughness needed to earn a high placement.

Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    exactly - my suggestion doesnt involve anybody going to 4 C's who would be on the Olympic team - I would use 4 C's to finalize the World team.
    But probably the second place finisher at Nationals will be on the Olympic team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think it's better to send the #2 finisher to both. That makes the stakes higher for the skaters and we can see who has the competitive toughness needed to earn a high placement.
    I understand the theory behind the idea of sending the 2nd place finisher BUT , so often in the past that has resulted in a skater going to Worlds who really wasnt strong enough but who had a " performance of a lifetime" at Nationals . The big problem of course is the need to send skaters who can do well enough at Worlds to earn the US more spots the following year. If that is not possible then at least send somebody who is young with great potential ( and we happily have 2 or 3 of those at least right now )and who will benefit greatly from the experieince and from the intrnational exposure . Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.

I look at it differently. I wish the whole language of "sending" someone to the Olympics or worlds would be dropped. To me, the athletes should earn the trip, not be "sent" by the omniscient federation chiefs.

skating philosopher
    Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.
    That's not a fact. The U.S. would have likely (again not saying its fact, just theory) had two spots in both REGARDLESS of who finished the top two because of the caliber of skaters from the U.S. skaters relative to the rest of the field. It is very unlikely that any combination of Denny/Coughlin, Castelli/Shnpai and Scimeca/Knerim would have gotten us three spots.

That also goes for the men. Max Aaron finishing in 7th was probably the best finish to expect from the men given the current level of competition.

And FWIW the women and ladies got three spots by sending its top two (ladies) and top three (dance) finishers at Nationals.

Custom Title
    If that is not possible then at least send somebody who is young with great potential ( and we happily have 2 or 3 of those at least right now )and who will benefit greatly from the experieince and from the intrnational exposure . Lets face it , sticking to the current policy of sending the first and 2nd place finishers from Nationals has reulted in the US having only 2 men and 2 pairs at this years Olympics - a truly embarrasing and sad situation.
    I think it is dangerous for the USFSA to send someone with "potential" to Worlds/Olympics who didn't earn the spot at Nationals. That opens the door for even more politicking than already exists. The men haven't done well at earning high placements but we don't have much depth; it isn't as if a male version of Michelle Kwan is staying home. I can't think of two men we have that I could say with any confidence would place high enough to get three spots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That's not a fact. The U.S. would have likely (again not saying its fact, just theory) had two spots in both REGARDLESS of who finished the top two because of the caliber of skaters from the U.S. skaters relative to the rest of the field. It is very unlikely that any combination of Denny/Coughlin, Castelli/Shnpai and Scimeca/Knerim would have gotten us three spots.

That also goes for the men. Max Aaron finishing in 7th was probably the best finish to expect from the men given the current level of competition.

And FWIW the women and ladies got three spots by sending its top two (ladies) and top three (dance) finishers at Nationals.
    The U.S getting 3 spots in pairs last year with any combination of pairs would be purely a fantasy. Was not going to happen if the event was hypothetically held 25 teams with any 2 U.S teams.

The men were incredibly unlikely too. Abbott was skating and competing poorly, and would have likely only placed around where Ross Miner did. Certainly wouldnt have been 5th or 6th.

Custom Title
    I felt sorry for Ricky Dornbush at Cup of China. But I fear he's just another Jeremy Abbott - skating in his head. When he's skating with confidence he's great. But he's not a competitor. I bet his programs in practice are World class! But I'm a believer of sending the 1st place and 2nd place man - whoever they are. I think you send someone with potential to Grand Prix events to condition them for Worlds and Olys.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast