Poykio and Drei news | Golden Skate

Poykio and Drei news

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In our main newspaper of today was a short article about Poykio and Drei. It mentioned that they both have healed from their injuries (Poykio an inflammation in ankle and Drei in Achilles tendon). Poykio´s injury is an old one which started to bother very much before the Nationals. Drei got her injury at the Nationals before the freeskate. Poykio started her practicing three weeks ago, but had to do it very slowly in the beginning. Now her ankle has been okay.

Europeans will be of big pressure for these skaters as the result will decide who participates in Worlds.

Marjaana

Tove

On the Ice
thanks a lot for info! I think Pöykiö is such a beauty skater, I'm hoping for a great result for her in Budapest!
But...Finland has three ladies spots, haven't they? I thought they got two girls into the top ten last year...?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
No, we have only two spots for ladies. In previous Europeans we had three, but the best one was only 7th and the rest 9th and 10th. I guess that one skater should have been at least among top five and the rest among top ten to ensure three places for next year?

Elina Kettunen and Tytti Tervonen are substitutes.

Marjaana

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing a Finnish sweep of the Ladies podium (tho of course it couldn't happen this year anyway with only 2 going); I think Drei, Poykio, and Kettunen are all terrific and I think the Finnish ladies have one of the strongest 1-2-3 combinations in Europe and it would be nice to see them get more recognition.

There are a number of European Ladies I enjoy watching including Poykio. I believe the field is open for the Euros. The best of the gals are really in Japan and the USA.

I think a Finnish Lady just may make the Podium.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing a Finnish sweep of the Ladies podium (tho of course it couldn't happen this year anyway with only 2 going); I think Drei, Poykio, and Kettunen are all terrific and I think the Finnish ladies have one of the strongest 1-2-3 combinations in Europe and it would be nice to see them get more recognition.
On pure skating, I think the three Finnish Ladies have more flow, deeper edges, and softer blades collectively than any country in the world.