NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern | Golden Skate

NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I thought it might be nice to congregate all the discussion about what NBC shows this afternoon in one place.

It is supposed to be Men's and Ladies free skates so we will probably not see any pairs or dance. Also, Johnny Weir is scheduled to make his network debut as a commentator. I like Weir's skating, but I truly hope this doesn't become "The Johnny Weir Show".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought it might be nice to congregate all the discussion about what NBC shows this afternoon in one place.

It is supposed to be Men's and Ladies free skates so we will probably not see any pairs or dance. Also, Johnny Weir is scheduled to make his network debut as a commentator. I like Weir's skating, but I truly hope this doesn't become "The Johnny Weir Show".

@JohnnyGWeir
Wow! I've got so much to learn! Being on TV and working on TV are totally different. Can't wait to work hard and progress with @NBCOlympics!
4:54 AM - 27 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/394431985302896640

Thx for starting the thread.

As I said in The Edge thread about Weir, I hope/believe that he is taking his NBC position seriously not as a promotional vehicle for himself, but as an opportunity to be a good ambassador for skating.

sweetskates1

Medalist
As much as I love Johnny, he is incapable of not making everything about him. That said, I think we will find him entertaining!

@JohnnyGWeir
Wow! I've got so much to learn! Being on TV and working on TV are totally different. Can't wait to work hard and progress with @NBCOlympics!
4:54 AM - 27 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/394431985302896640

Thx for starting the thread.

As I said in The Edge thread about Weir, I hope/believe that he is taking his NBC position seriously not as a promotional vehicle for himself, but as an opportunity to be a good ambassador for skating.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
TV skate Canada alert 4-6 pm est nbc

Gracie was great in her SP. Why was she only 3rd overall?

Courtney SKATED- I mean jumped. gosh she has no skating skills.

lcd

Match Penalty
Still strange to me how NBC can justify keeping all (or the majority) of their focus on the singles disciplines. How can they predict from which discipline the stars that will be of interest to the US/North American viewing public will come from unless they include pairs and especially, dance?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Sadly, I don't think that Americans 'get ice dancing' yet or the new more athletic pair skating. If you think about it, ladies figure skating has not changed much since the golden age of Kwan - same elements, tricks, just new faces.

Still strange to me how NBC can justify keeping all (or the majority) of their focus on the singles disciplines. How can they predict from which discipline the stars that will be of interest to the US/North American viewing public will come from unless they include pairs and especially, dance?

sweetskates1

Medalist
Julia does nothing for me - just as I still shed a tear when I remember Tara won. ugghh, I do not want to be accused of ageism but honestly - 15yo should not compete against Maos, Yunas, Carolinas, Akikos, or Kiiras.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Julia does nothing for me - just as I still shed a tear when I remember Tara won. ugghh, I do not want to be accused of ageism but honestly - 15yo should not compete against Maos, Yunas, Carolinas, Akikos, or Kiiras.

Why not, I remember both Mao and Asada dominating the Senior circuit when they were Julia's age. Kwan was a world champion at that age, and Kostner was competiting at the Senior circuit as well...

ranjake

Final Flight
Julia's talent is impressive; but I'm going to have to agree with some of the other posters; there is something slightly missing for me.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I enjoy Gracie's LP much more than Ashley's this year but I am not in love with either. Gracie is capable of winning is she skates clean - her jumps are awesome.