NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern | Page 5 | Golden Skate

NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also, the numbers don't reflect what other sports were being telecast during that segment of air time. Extra viewers might have joined in because Shaun White was defending his title that day, for example.

Nielsen is capable of minute-to-minute numbers. You'd better believe that network execs (and ad execs too, I suppose) pay a lot of attention to those.

And comparisons across networks in half-hour increments are a piece of cake ... so one sitcom can be compared to another on a different network, for example.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
In 2006, cable TV USA has had a program called The Olympic Ice hosted by Mary Carillo. It has broadcasted two hours each day everyday for two weeks during Olympics. It was a wonderful program. Dick Button had a segment "Push Dick's Button" in every episode. I loved them very much. I don't know about 2010 Olympics because I didn't have cable during that time.

Vancouver did have an ice show, although it was more a panel discussion rather than entertainment - like Olympic Ice. I should have clarified that no competition has taken place other than on primetime. The original comment was about commentators and the possibility of someone commentating on competition on cable. The last time I saw any sort of figure skating Olympic competition on cable was when CBS had the rights.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I just watched and thought Johnny did a GREAT job! My husband, who knows little about skating, thought his commentary was much more "helpful" than Scott's- he actually took the time to explain aspects of the judging system and was eloquent about the various skaters and their pros/cons. He also has a lovely, mellifluous voice. I'm psyched about him as the future of commentary!

They need to not talk as much during the performances.

I thought the mix was about right for Tara's segment. With Johnny, for some reason it seemed like Terry wanted him to speak up more and he kept asking Johnny questions and feeding him lines, sometimes at inappropriate times in the performance.

Definitely a different dynamic -- the seasoned professional bringing along the rookies -- than when Terry had to take a back seat to grand old master Dick Button.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for your response, loop.
(I hope my question was clear. I was aware that Schlegel provided commentary for NBC for many years. Was wondering whether Miller was the tv analyst for NBC for any lesser events in the year or two immediately before 2012 London.)

Will try to stop repeating myself ;), but your answer fuels my curiosity whether it is possible that Lipinski and Weir are being groomed for The Big Show (i.e., Sochi tv broadcasts). :think:

Yes, I understood your question. For gymnastics, NBC only shows Nationals, Worlds, and the American Cup on a regular basis. Universal Sports shows the Nastia Liukin Cup and the U.S. Classic, and in the past showed some world cup competitions (those are equivalent to the Grand Prix in figure skating). Shannon was not used by NBC to do any competitions in the lead up to London - not even as a sideline reporter. It is unfortunate since I think she does a good job. Both her and her 96 teammate Amanda Borden are pretty decent and I wish NBC would have actually considered them before going with Nastia (thought I think she is OK so far and felt she had potential from the first time I heard her). They are now using Amanda Borden sometimes for Universal Sports.

Thanks for posting the Vancouver ratings! Very interesting. I agree that NBC is making a mistake by not investing in the ice dancing (and also pairs) competitions.

As for Terry asking Johnny a lot of questions, once again to use a gymnastics comparison, I noticed Al kept directing a lot of questions to Nastia and he actually was speaking to her like she was a kid he was teaching, IMO. So maybe NBC wants them to prod the newer commentators to comment enough? I don't know. But Terry Gannon is so much smoother than Al Trautwig in everything.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Terry actually cares about the job/sport he's commenting on. Al couldn't care less.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
One more comment regarding Hamilton and Bezic:
By real-life standards, they are not "old" -- but for better or worse, network executives often prefer to put younger personalities on TV. So if Weir and Lipinski continue to show professionalism and competence (as I expect they will), I think their futures at NBC could be very bright.

Yes, I understood your question. For gymnastics, NBC only shows Nationals, Worlds, and the American Cup on a regular basis. Universal Sports shows the Nastia Liukin Cup and the U.S. Classic, and in the past showed some world cup competitions (those are equivalent to the Grand Prix in figure skating). Shannon was not used by NBC to do any competitions in the lead up to London - not even as a sideline reporter. It is unfortunate since I think she does a good job. Both her and her 96 teammate Amanda Borden are pretty decent and I wish NBC would have actually considered them before going with Nastia (thought I think she is OK so far and felt she had potential from the first time I heard her). They are now using Amanda Borden sometimes for Universal Sports.

Thanks for your detailed comments and explanation, loop. :)
Had no idea that a competition is named after Liukin.
I remember Amanda Borden as a competitor ... but did not know that she has been working in television. (Do not have access to Universal Sports.)

sweetiesteph23

Spectator
I was extremely impressed with Johnny Weir's commentary during the 2013 Skate Canada Men's Long Program. His insight from a skater's perspective was especially helpful to people like me, who are fans of the sport but have never even stepped on the ice. He included details that were interesting and that only those closely involved with the sport would notice, such as the softness vs. stiffness of a skater's knees and how this impacts overall performance. He brought up excellent points concerning choreographical and
musical choices as well. Overall, Weir's commentary, in addition to being polished and professional, enhanced my viewing experience and added to my appreciation of the sport and the difficult work the skaters were doing. Bravo to NBC for casting Weir as a commentator.