Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I thought Johnny Weir did a very creditable job with his commentary and analysis. He was clear spoken, fair, and eloquent. He has such a lively personality and he keeps the broadcast interesting. I him in this role! Go Johnny, be good!

However, I did feel that Terry Gannon was questioning Johnny too much during the skaters' programs and it was a little distracting trying to hear the music. I think they should try to stick with sparse comments during the performance and then maybe address more thought provoking questions after the program ends when the skater is taking their bows, leaving the ice, and receiving their marks in the kiss and cry.

All in all though, I found Johnny and Terry to be a pleasant team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    How was Johnny's debut?)) I wish I could watch NBC with his commenting
    I thought he did very well, but especially well for a first outing. He held his own with Terry and they worked well together. I was pleasantly surprised. He was very respectful of the skaters and how difficult it is to do what they do and politely noted their areas of weakness. He mentioned he designed Yuzu's costume. Terry initiated that conversation, not Johnny as might be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Johnny Weir is on NBC now, commentating men's with Terry Gannon. Dream Team!
    Terry Gannon! Terry Gannon! Terry Gannon! Now we're getting somewhere. Is his contract up with ABC?

I thought Tara was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    However, I did feel that Terry Gannon was questioning Johnny too much during the skaters' programs and it was a little distracting trying to hear the music.
    I felt like Terry was feeding Johnny his lines. Johnny seemed a little tentative at first, especially compared to Tara, and Terry was trying to bring him more to the fore.

As for the competition itself, to me the men were all better on the big little screen than on the little little stop-and-go screen of Internet feeds. Some missed jumps, but a lot of good skating even so.

Custom Title
    Terry hasn't been with ABC for a while. His main contract right now is with the Golf Channel, I think.

2010 Winter Olympics, Universal Sports daytime host.
    2010–present: Golf Channel, tower announcer/host, PGA Tour & LPGA Tour.
    2010–present: NBA on ESPN play-by-play
    2012 Summer Olympics, rowing commentator.

In all the bios I read, there is no mention of figure skating. Dumb.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Johnny says in his latest tweet on the GS front page that he will be commentating at all the remaining GPs-so I guess no Scott will continue at CoC.

Both Johnny and Tara have nice broadcasting voices. I bet they have both had voice training. (?)

It looks like Gracie Gold is pencilled in as NBC's number one face of the Olympics. She was prominently featured in all of their ads that showed athletes in several sports.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    yuz's costume too feminine-thanx johnny.
    The idea that men have to conform to a traditionally "masculine" image--even in performance!--is as problematic as women being expected to conform to a traditionally "feminine" image. Isn't it time to move away from the stereotypes already? We know Yuzuru likes the style of Johnny's costumes, and Johnny said Yuzuru was very clear about what he wanted regarding the costume. If it works for Yuzuru, fine.

It was interesting to hear that Yuzuru is so in charge of his performances, choosing music, costuming, etc. himself. If it helps him really feel the program, I'm all for it! I hope he can really bring it in his next GP.

I think Johnny did a great job on his first outing--insightful and informative analysis, and he had something positive to say of all the skaters.

Custom Title
    Yes, "gender boxes" are problematic but the truth is that federations are trying to bring figure skating back into the mainstream and they feel that the ballerinas, strong men (Brians in soldier outfits, anyone?!), young pair and ice dancers in love - sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    The idea that men have to conform to a traditionally "masculine" image--even in performance!--is as problematic as women being expected to conform to a traditionally "feminine" image. Isn't it time to move away from the stereotypes already? We know Yuzuru likes the style of Johnny's costumes, and Johnny said Yuzuru was very clear about what he wanted regarding the costume. If it works for Yuzuru, fine.

It was interesting to hear that Yuzuru is so in charge of his performances, choosing music, costuming, etc. himself. If it helps him really feel the program, I'm all for it! I hope he can really bring it in his next GP.

I think Johnny did a great job on his first outing--insightful and informative analysis, and he had something positive to say of all the skaters.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Tara and Johnny will be doing the online stuff - not the primetime TV.
    Did NBC officially announce today that their Sochi roles will be only online? The press release from Thursday says, "multi-platform coverage," without ruling out the inclusion of broadcast TV.

To me, Hanyu's costume looked fine in motion. While he was skating it did not seem controversial or off-putting.

Custom Title
    I don't think it's about masculine or feminine. I think it's more about program and skating specific. I don't think Romeo would wear a costume like Hanyu's. I don't think Josh's costume is appropriate for Schindler's list. Christina Gao's costume looks like she is pulling against the straps and edges - it looks uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I'm old. I don't like draping - that includes Jeremy's gray and Chan's shirt. I prefer simple. I would love to see the guys in a shirt/turtle neck and pants. I would love to see the ladies in a leotard (preferably with sleeves) and skirt. Too often, for me, the costume distracts me from the skating.

Custom Title
    I actually like Hanyu's costume - As MM said, it looked good while skating and other than the colored stones, isn't such a huge departure from earlier styles of his. And I like the stones. I also liked Josh's a lot and thought Gao looked great; I can't help but really root for her!

I'm not sold on nor opposed to V/M's long program costume; but I think the thing that was off putting to me was the lack of sleeves on Tessa's dress + noticeable (and unavoidable) illusion fabric - I think let the pink be straps too - or have a darker shade of burgundy under the skirt with straps that are light pink and burgundy. That said...I have to read about their short and long to see what the experts are seeing...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Did NBC officially announce today that their Sochi roles will be only online? The press release from Thursday says, "multi-platform coverage," without ruling out the inclusion of broadcast TV.
    Read this on another forum a couple of days ago. I can't find it on the NBC Media Village site.

Here are the line ups for Sochi:

NBC main network coverage:
    Tom, Sandra, Scott, Tracy

NBC multi-platform coverage (online)
    Terry, Tara, Johnny

NBC Olympic Sports Desk/Olympic Zone (show for the affiliates):
    Tanith (reporter)

One thing, the sound is so much better on network TV. Gracie Gold's short program music sounded wonderful. It was not screechy. You could hear the high notes distinctly. The piano was a better partner to the violin. No problems at all. I wonder how it sounded in person in the arena.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Read this on another forum a couple of days ago. I can't find it on the NBC Media Village site.
    Is the NBC online service available for everybody or do you need to have cable? I have a vague memory that I wanted to watch summer olympics online but couldn't access it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast