NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern | Page 4 | Golden Skate

NBC Broadcast of Skate Canada - Sunday, 4-6 eastern

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Is the NBC online service available for everybody or do you need to have cable? I have a vague memory that I wanted to watch summer olympics online but couldn't access it.

I think you're thinking of live online streaming. That's different.

I don't think it's about masculine or feminine. I think it's more about program and skating specific. I don't think Romeo would wear a costume like Hanyu's. I don't think Josh's costume is appropriate for Schindler's list. Christina Gao's costume looks like she is pulling against the straps and edges - it looks uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I'm old. I don't like draping - that includes Jeremy's gray and Chan's shirt. I prefer simple. I would love to see the guys in a shirt/turtle neck and pants. I would love to see the ladies in a leotard (preferably with sleeves) and skirt. Too often, for me, the costume distracts me from the skating.

This is what it is for me, too--I just don't like fussy. I'm not tremendously fond of Miki Ando's costumes, either. Coincidentally, I was chatting to a friend about Princess Diana's outfits just this morning, and I mentioned that I preferred her sleek suits and coats to the frillier dresses and gowns of her early years, which were the overly ornamental 1980s. Even Princess Diana looked overdone, and she was one of the world's most stylish people for fifteen years.

It all comes down to Hanyu's own choices, but I do find that the interpretation loses focus when I'm looking at an elaborate costume.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
From the Johnny and Tara press release - http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/10/23/johnny-weir-tara-lipinski-tanith-belbin-to-join-nbc-olympics-in-sochi/

Weir, the two-time Olympian and three-time U.S. champion who announced his retirement today, and Lipinski, the youngest individual gold medalist in the history of the Olympic Winter Games when she won in Nagano in 1998 at the age of 15, will serve as analysts for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform figure skating coverage.

Belbin, a silver medalist in ice dancing at the 2006 Torino Olympics, will serve as a reporter for NBC Olympics’ Sports Desk and will present features for The Olympic Zone, NBC Olympics’ 30-minute daily show for NBC affiliates covering all aspects of the Games.

I'm quite sure multi-platform means online streaming (like Shannon Miller did of Gymnastics in 2012). Tanith's assignment to the "Olympic Zone" is for the 30-minute program some of the local affiliates do to cover local athletes from their regions. My local affiliate sends reporters every Olympics for their version of "Olympic Zone".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From the Johnny and Tara press release - http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2013/10/23/johnny-weir-tara-lipinski-tanith-belbin-to-join-nbc-olympics-in-sochi/

I'm quite sure multi-platform means online streaming (like Shannon Miller did of Gymnastics in 2012). Tanith's assignment to the "Olympic Zone" is for the 30-minute program some of the local affiliates do to cover local athletes from their regions. My local affiliate sends reporters every Olympics for their version of "Olympic Zone".

Well ... as I said on Thursday in The Edge thread re Weir, I found it mighty strange that the Weir/Lipinski press release from NBC did not underline (or even mention) that Hamilton/Bezic will be the commentators for NBC's broadcast coverage in Sochi.

And on Thursday when I searched the nbcsportsgrouppressbox site for confirmation that Hamilton/Bezic once again will be the broadcast analysts for the Olympics, I found no such confirmation.

(ETA, corrections: In both cases above, I meant Wednesday instead of Thursday.)​

So ... just my wild speculation, but I wonder whether the Weir/Lipinski GP commentator roles are "auditions" of sorts for the Sochi broadcast roles.
The cynic in me wonders also whether NBC has clauses in its contracts with Hamilton and Bezic that allow the network to opt out of using them for the Sochi broadcasts (perhaps such clauses, if any, would require NBC to "buy out" of using them.)

Again, just my speculation.
(And yes, I had noted earlier that Belbin's role clearly is different from Weir/Lipinski's multi-platform coverage. Agree on that point.)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Maybe cable TV too?

NBC has never broadcast figure skating on any of the cable stations. It has always been exclusively on primetime. I'm also quite sure the companies that sponsor the Olympics (the real money) insist on this requirement. It means we, as spectators don't get to see as much skating (on TV), but it does pay the bills. Now, with online streaming, we at least have an opportunity to see all of the competition.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Well ... as I said on Thursday in The Edge thread re Weir, I found it mighty strange that the Weir/Lipinski press release from NBC did not underline (or even mention) that Hamilton/Bezic will be the commentators for NBC's broadcast coverage in Sochi.

And on Thursday when I searched the nbcsportsgrouppressbox site for confirmation that Hamilton/Bezic once again will be the broadcast analysts for the Olympics, I found no such confirmation.

So ... just my wild speculation, but I wonder whether the Weir/Lipinski GP commentator roles are "auditions" of sorts for the Sochi broadcast roles.
The cynic in me wonders also whether NBC has clauses in its contracts with Hamilton and Bezic that allows the network to opt out of using them for the Sochi broadcasts (perhaps such clauses, if any, would require NBC to "buy out" of using them.)

Again, just my speculation.
(And yes, I had noted earlier that Belbin's role clearly is different from Weir/Lipinski's multi-platform coverage. Agree on that point.)

I understand your hope and your speculation. Given, however, that in 2012, NBC used the same people for TV Gymnastics as usual (Al, Elfie, and Tim), but used a different team for online (Shannon), it is logical to assume it will be likewise in Sochi. To make this more convoluted, I think there are other companies involved, who actually do the streaming in agreement with NBC - don't know how all that plays out.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny Weir is on NBC now, commentating men's with Terry Gannon. Dream Team! Scott and Sandra are nowhere to be seen. Maybe NBC execs have finally decided to listen to skating-knowledgeable fans.

ETA: I thought Johnny's commentary on Jeremy's skating was respectful, balanced, and yes, hopeful the the rest of the season will build and improve.

As I recall Scott and Sandy typically only do Skate America, Nationals, and Olys/Worlds.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia does nothing for me - just as I still shed a tear when I remember Tara won. ugghh, I do not want to be accused of ageism but honestly - 15yo should not compete against Maos, Yunas, Carolinas, Akikos, or Kiiras.

I have to say, on the TV broadcast, I was even more impressed. She drew me more into that program than Yu Na did in her Les Mis. And, while some of her jumps were kind of small, overall, it was an impressive technical performance. How many 7 triple programs are we seeing these days?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I understand your hope and your speculation. Given, however, that in 2012, NBC used the same people for TV Gymnastics as usual (Al, Elfie, and Tim), but used a different team for online (Shannon), it is logical to assume it will be likewise in Sochi. To make this more convoluted, I think there are other companies involved, who actually do the streaming in agreement with NBC - don't know how all that plays out.

Just curious:
Did Shannon Miller serve as an analyst (instead of Schlegel) for NBC television broadcasts of gymnastic events leading up to 2012 London? (I don't know whether gymnastics has something comparable to the ISU GP season.)
Before and after attempting her comeback as a competitor, Nastia Liukin made some tv appearances as an NBC analyst (I don't remember for which competitions exactly), but I don't remember when/whether I saw/heard Miller on tv.

In any case, thx for your replies, AHB. :)
And my apologies ... I had my days mixed up ... I had posted my previous thoughts on Wednesday (not Thursday) -- the day that Weir appeared on the Today show.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just curious:
Did Shannon Miller serve as an analyst (instead of Schlegel) for NBC television broadcasts of gymnastic events leading up to 2012 London? (I don't know whether gymnastics has something comparable to the ISU GP season.)
Before and after attempting her comeback as a competitor, Nastia Liukin made some tv appearances as an NBC analyst (I don't remember for which competitions exactly), but I don't remember when/whether I saw/heard Miller on tv.

No. Elfi's was the main on air NBC female commentator from 1992-2012. Shannon did do some commentary for NBC's HD coverage of the 2008 Olympics, though, I've been told (but not the main broadcast). She also did some stuff for Comcast.

Julia's talent is impressive; but I'm going to have to agree with some of the other posters; there is something slightly missing for me.

I felt this way when watching her initially. Granted I probably had only 85-90% of my attention on the TV screen. But just as soon as I was thinking that she was a consistent jumper but needed better choreography and more feeling than just big arm movements, I saw her spins and was very impressed. I also thought the choreography picked up near the end. I like her. She really could possibly be the future big star of the sport. Feels risky to say that these days, though.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
NBC isn't trying to predict; it's using history. Americans have traditionally preferred individual skating more than pairs/dance.

Vancouver ratings information from US Figure Skating fact sheet:

2010 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES ON NBC
Event / Rating / Share
Pairs Short Program. . 14.3. . 23
Pairs Free Skate. . 14.2. . 22
Men’s Short Program. . 12.2. . 19
Men’s Free Skate. . 14.5. . 24
Compulsory Dance. . . . . .13.4. . 23
Original Dance. . 13.2. . 21
Free Dance. . 12.5. . 20
Ladies Short Program. . 12.6. . 20
Ladies Free Skate. . 13.6. . 23​

Based on the numbers alone, lots of interesting -- and non-intuitive -- comparisons here:

For example, the Ladies SP had a lower rating and lower share than the CD, OD, and Pairs SP events.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No. Elfi's was the main on air NBC female commentator from 1992-2012. Shannon did do some commentary for NBC's HD coverage of the 2008 Olympics, though, I've been told. She also did some stuff for Comcast.

Thanks for your response, loop.
(I hope my question was clear. I was aware that Schlegel provided commentary for NBC for many years. Was wondering whether Miller was the tv analyst for NBC for any lesser events in the year or two immediately before 2012 London.)

Will try to stop repeating myself ;), but your answer fuels my curiosity whether it is possible that Lipinski and Weir are being groomed for The Big Show (i.e., Sochi tv broadcasts). :think:

lcd

Match Penalty

Event / Rating / Share
Free Dance. . 12.5. . 20

Based on the numbers alone, lots of interesting -- and non-intuitive -- comparisons here:

For example, the Ladies SP had a lower rating and lower share than the CD, OD, and Pairs SP events.

Awesome to see the data. MORE OF THIS please golden411

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Event / Rating / Share
Free Dance. . 12.5. . 20

unfortunately the numbers don't take into account the day of the week/time the broadcast happened.

Matilda

Medalist

Event / Rating / Share
Free Dance. . 12.5. . 20

Interesting! I really think NBC is making a mistake in not covering pairs and dance--especially dance, where we have one of the top two teams in the world, and several GP medal contenders. I was really upset they didn't even show H/D although they got bronze in SC--and their FD is wonderful! I'm sure Johnny in particular could easily learn enough about dance to comment on it (I'm guessing he already knows quite a bit). Same applies to pairs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
unfortunately the numbers don't take into account the day of the week/time the broadcast happened.

True.
But the share indicates the percentage of the audience that was watching any television at all on that day at that time, so it is some kind of relative measure -- although not of skating broadcast vs. skating broadcast.

ETA, I should have said only, "sort of true."

What I mean:
Consider a totally hypothetical scenario of the Pairs SP taking place at 9 pm on Sunday night (when the total tv audience for all networks/channels perhaps would be higher) and the Ladies SP taking place at 8 pm on Saturday night, Feb 14 (when the total tv audience for all networks would be lower, b/c ppl are out celebrating Valentine's Day).
The shares DO factor in the discrepancy in the sizes of the total tv audiences -- and equalize the playing field, so to speak.

But:
If another hypothetical scenario were that the Pairs LP aired at the same time as live airing of the Super Bowl on another network ... and the Men's LP did not have the disadvantage of airing against a blockbuster live event, then:
The rating and share for the Pairs LP presumably would be extremely low, and the explanation would not be apparent from just those two numbers. Comparing them to the Men's LP numbers would provide an incomplete understanding of the numbers.​

Also, the numbers don't reflect what other sports were being telecast during that segment of air time. Extra viewers might have joined in because Shaun White was defending his title that day, for example.