Italy at the Olympic team event | Golden Skate

Italy at the Olympic team event

Carolina Kostner is a medal favorite. Berton and Hotarek just won Skate Canada. Cappilini and Lanotte served notice at Skate America.

(Paul) Bonifacio Parkinson, born in Canada, trains in the United States, just won an Olympic spot for Italian men.

Is it possible that Italy could have enough to challenge for a medal in the Olympic team event?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes, it's very possible. They are really hurting for a strong singles male skater, but Kostner could get 1st in her section and the Pairs + Dance could both get 3rd. That would probably be enough.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ivan (Bariev) Rigini is (or will be) qualified to skate for Italy . He has dual Russian/Italian citizenship. He might be a better choice than Parkinson for them.

I think they could well medal.

Scout

Final Flight
It seems like Italy's chances are looking better everyday!

One question though - Is the winning team determined by adding up the point totals of each skater? And only the LP? Or do the SP scores carry over from the "qualifying" round? Because this would favour teams that have a strong males single skater, as that is the discipline where points are the highest - with potential scoring over 270 points for top men (compare that to ice dance which has not broken 200 points). This can work against Italy.

I'd guess that the 5 teams that make the LP final are Canada, Italy, Japan, Russia and the US.

Estimates of LP scores from Worlds 2013, although I bumped up points for Italy's pairs to reflect B/H Skate Canada result and pulled PArkinson's score from Nebelhorn.

Canada Italy Japan Russia US
Men 170 120 170 140 160
Ladies 110 130 135 120 125
Pairs 130 125 80 150 120
Dance 110 100 75 100 110
Total 520 475 460 510 515

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's by placements in each discipline, not total CoP points.

The winner of each discipline scores 10 points for their country, 2nd place gets 9 points, 3rd place gets 8 points, etc. 10th place gets 1 point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's by placements in each discipline, not total CoP points.

The winner of each discipline scores 10 points for their country, 2nd place gets 9 points, 3rd place gets 8 points, etc. 10th place gets 1 point.

Yeah I am not sure I agree with the scoring system for the team event because it really can allow a team with no "real competitive" fourth team or skater to win or medal. Now if they counted scores I think USA, Canada would have advantage but this way Italy and Japan actually have a shot. the team that may get penalized the most are the Russians so to speak but that is the luck of the draw. Let's say with a bit of luck too Kostner is first in ladies, the Italians gets second in pairs espeically if the Chinese and Germans are absent and thenget third in dance they probably could medal for sure and if Canada or the us skate badly Italy could beat them despite those teams being more consistent (Russia is a real wild card with the men. If P lushy is healthy they would have a reasonable shot at gold with the US, Canada. But this scoring system really gives Japan but most likely Italy a real shot. Otherwise Usa, Canada and russia (with Plushy) have the most consistent team. Mind you I guess that is skating it depends on what framework you use on who wins. With all the changes we would have probably seen Kerrigan win gold for the US, as well Orser and Manley win gold for Canada at Olympics at some point. Its the parameters being used that often affects who wins or who loses.

Scout

Final Flight
Thanks for the clarification!

I guess there is no perfect scoring system. No matter which one you use, it will always be advantageous for one team over another. Placements prevent one discipline from having more weight than others, but, as skater boy mentioned, one team can be extraordinarily weak at a discipline and yet can place better than a team that is essentially more well rounded. A second place versus a third place - which can be the difference of 0.01 in CoP - can be absolutely critical when using placements.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Scout you are right; but it is possible we could get a wacky gold medalist but such is life. You play be the rules in place.