Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who would you rank as the current American ladies number 1: Gracie Gold or Ashley Wagner?

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    For now it is: 1. Ashley Wagner, 2. Gracie Gold.

I do, however, think that Gold has more potential due to her better skating skills, jumps and spins. If she can find some consistency, she will be No. 1. But it's not a given that it'll happen. But if she keeps improving...

Custom Title
    Recent article on Ashley Wagner

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    Recent article on Ashley Wagner
    I like her mindset. Even if she doesn't win an Olympic medal I sense that she will be very satisfied with her career just for having had the Olympic experience and her many titles. I do hope she is able to at least win a world medal before she retires because she is very deserving of one.

Banned
    I think even if both skate cleanly Ashley should win now that she is doing the triple-triples. I still think Gold has superior jumps, spins, and skating skills, but with her many deficiencies in presentation, and with both doing about the same difficulty (atleast in the LP) now if the PCS is marked correctly Ashley should win. Especialy since Gold's Power Witch program is absolutely hideous. However should and will are different. Gold gets PCS that vastly overvalue her current skating. The skating skills are there, but the rest is meh, but the scores hardly reflect that accurately. Even with mistakes Gold gets ridiculously inflated PCS.

Custom Title
    I think Wagner should win on the PCS mark even if I dislike her R&J program, but Gold attacks her jumps and executes them better. Frankly I'm not a fan of either of their freeskates. Good for Ashley for getting her 3F-3T, but there's such a tentative nature to her jumps that I find myself holding my breath.

I think Wagner has much more potential to win an Olympic medal, but it could go either way. I think a lot of people are making assumptions based off Skate America and Skate Canada. Both girls have made progress but they'll have to skate much better if they want to threaten in Sochi.

Down With It
    IF (and this is a BIG IF, folks) both skate cleanly, I would give the edge to Gold. Wagner won't be far behind, however. This is why it is imperative that Gold really nails her SP because there is little to no room for error (especially with Wagner now doing 3-3s). Getting on the Olympic team shouldn't be too much of an issue IF she avoids meltdown in either portion, but if she wants to win, it will take TWO clean or near-clean programs.

Custom Title
    Wagner's programs are weaker than previous ones.
    So her high PCS are equally undeserving.

Gold's PCS is ridiculous.
    SS should be 7.5 to 8.
    TR should be 7 to 7.5
    CH should be 4
    PE should be a 4.5 to 5
    IN should be 3

Ashley
    SS should be 7 to 7.5
    TR should be 7 to 7.5
    CH should be 6 (really, her LP is not good)
    PE should be 6
    IN should be 6

Gold's superior TES should pull her ahead. But barely.

Now, if Wagner has better programs, I can see if both are clean, Wagner should come out ahead.

Rinkside
    Ashley, with Gracie behind. In my opinion Gracie needs to work on keeping her arms under control, to much flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Wagner's programs are weaker than previous ones.
    So her high PCS are equally undeserving.

Gold's PCS is ridiculous.
    SS should be 7.5 to 8.
    TR should be 7 to 7.5
    CH should be 4
    PE should be a 4.5 to 5
    IN should be 3

Ashley
    SS should be 7 to 7.5
    TR should be 7 to 7.5
    CH should be 6 (really, her LP is not good)
    PE should be 6
    IN should be 6

Gold's superior TES should pull her ahead. But barely.

Now, if Wagner has better programs, I can see if both are clean, Wagner should come out ahead.
    Another rare occasion when we agree, though I'd have Gold slightly lower on PE than you- maybe 4 to 4.5 absolute max. I'd also give Wagner 7 to 7.5 on PE and IN in the short this year- 6 to 6.5 in the long. I'd have ranked her higher on those last year and the year before though. Maybe she can still find her 'mojo' with these programs as the season goes on, but were I her I'd be thinking of making major changes to the long.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by smontgomery147@comca View Post
    In my opinion Gracie needs to work on keeping her arms under control, to much flying around.
    Yeah, got a bit excessive in the FS. But honestly, that's the least of her concerns at this point.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Yeah, got a bit excessive in the FS. But honestly, that's the least of her concerns at this point.
    Agreed. She could flap her arms like a crazy chicken all day...if she landed the jumps the judges wouldn't care.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3