How are Agnes Chances-she seems forgotten | Golden Skate

How are Agnes Chances-she seems forgotten

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think she skates next week at Cup of China-or do I have that wrong. Did she get a second GP assignment? I really was impressed when she first became a senior. I loved her fizzy blond hair and costume choices. What must Agnes do technically and artistically to get that 3rd spot to Sochi?:popcorn:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think she skates next week at Cup of China-or do I have that wrong. Did she get a second GP assignment? I really was impressed when she fist became a senior. I loved her fizzy blond hair and costume choices. What must Agnes do technically and artistically to get that 3rd spot to Sochi?:popcorn:

if she lands all of her jumps, she will be us #1 regardless of what others do.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I see a lot of truth in this post. The USFSA has been waiting with bated breath for Agnes Zawadzki to deliver a clean 2 program competition. Just look at how overscored she is when she falls all over the place; one can only imagine how high she would score if she ever truly brought it at Nationals. She has explosive jumps when she lands them, correct technique, and strong skating skills. Her strengths do deserve to be rewarded when it all gels together as she displayed at the 2012 US Nationals SP. It would shock me though to ever see her skate a clean LP as a senior skater.

On the NBC coverage if Skate Canada Terry Gannon played her up as the American hopeful at Cup of China (tune in next week, folks :) ) This will be a good test for her. Besides Carolina Kostner, she's got Zijin Li, Murakami, and Sotnikova, also Imai. A medal here would be a great start.

She does have a second Grand Prix event, Cup of Russia, where she will measure herself also against Lipnitskaia and Tuktamysheva.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

She is definitely not beating Wagner and Gold at their best.

But, if she skates her best, she can be #3 and make the Olympic team. Unless Nagasu somehow gets it all together and skates like she did at 2010 Olympics.

MasterB

Final Flight
More than anything she needs to skate clean, which she hasn't since she was a junior.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Of any American skater that I can think of, Agnes has the greatest disparity in the marks given to her by national and international panels. She has not even skated an international LP that has surpassed 108. I'm not sure that a great skate at CoC will have her leap ahead of Ashley and Gracie.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
skateluvr, why do you think she is forgotten? She's always been considered a contender for the third spot on the US Olympic team. If she is "forgotten," so is everyone else besides Wagner and Gold.

On Universal Sports, the only television network in the US that airs decent figure skating coverage, access to which I switched to DirecTV for a couple of years ago (only way to get it), they have been promoting the Cup of China for a couple of weeks mainly with AZ's image.

I wouldn't be so sad if she were forgotten, to be honest. I am an avid Czisny fan. We've seen AC skate well, inconsistency aside. Agnes has never skated a good free skate. She is bad every time. At her best, she skates a good SP, then flubs the FS.

She is also tacky. Harsh and classist, I know. But to skate to terrible music like the SATC 2 soundtrack two years in a row (while wearing a sequin-galore off-the-rack costume)??! There has got be someone she can find to make her a decent costume if she can afford David Wilson to choreograph terrible programs for her. (At least there is some irony in Tonya's skating to Wild Thing in 1991, which I will defend.)

Pepe, if I were a skater from a family with not a lot of money, I'd spend it all on a choreographer and buy a cheap costume. So I wouldn't hold that against her. In the old days, any number of skaters including Peggy Fleming wore skating dresses sewn by their mothers. I know that costumes are different now, but I still feel reluctant to judge someone on a lack of resources in that department.

b-man

Final Flight
Agnes is fortunate to be in CoC, which has one of the weaker fields of the grand prix series. But she is still up against Kostner, Murakami, the charming and home favorite Li, and Adelina, so it is unlikely she will be anywhere near the podium. At the more competitive Rostelecom, she could easily be buried in sixth to eigtth place. Maybe that will end the US Feds fascination for Agnes, but I doubt it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last season, Agnes had a higher SB in the SP (60.18) than Zijun Li (59.62). She is, however quite a few points away from Adelina (67.61), Carolina (66.86) and Kanako (66.64).

Agnes can score higher in the SP though. That season's best came at Rostelcom Cup lat year and she actually lost a few points in levels (level 1 spin, level 2 step sequence.).

The FS, of course is a different story. Her SB of 106.43 was easily outranked by all them: Carolina (131.03); Zijun (127.54), Adelina (126.38) and Kanako (123.09).

In any case, I wish her luck.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember the young Agnes, who showed so much promise. What's happened with her is simply that she's grown too tall and so far she hasn't been able to adapt her skating technique to her height. Carolina Kostner had similar struggles during her career but finally was able to turn it around, and Agnes could too.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^ I don't even think it's that. Mentally, she crumbles like a cookie when the pressure is on.

I agree with FlattFan that if Agnes ever pulls herself together she would be the US #1. Her jumps are huge (bigger and better than Gracie's IMO) and her technique is solid. She has good spins, good skating skills and she can be a very charismatic, engaging and charming performer when she's not falling all over the place.

I think if she came out at COC and delivered two clean performances with her 3-3 in both programs, she'd place 2nd or possibly even 1st (assuming Carolina ran into a considerable amount of trouble). If Agnes ever wakes up and puts it together, she'd be amazing and I'd definitely cheer for her.

I do think Agnes needs to have a good showing at COC. Making the podium shouldn't really be her concern. She needs to surpass whatever score Christina hit at SC last week if she's hoping to keep her positioning for that 3rd spot.

She was so promising in juniors. I remember her as a consistent skater with big jumps and a lot of power. But since she's gone senior, she's always been very inconsistent, unfortunately.

If her height has interfered with her jump rhythm, it might have cost her her self-confidence--only temporarily, I hope. If she has the chance to rebalance herself with her new body, she will improve, I'm sure.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agnes has been tall for awhile now so her height shouldn't be the problem. She's almost 20 now so she's been done with growing for a couple years now. Her inconsistency isn't because she's not used to being tall.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Pepe, if I were a skater from a family with not a lot of money, I'd spend it all on a choreographer and buy a cheap costume. So I wouldn't hold that against her. In the old days, any number of skaters including Peggy Fleming wore skating dresses sewn by their mothers. I know that costumes are different now, but I still feel reluctant to judge someone on a lack of resources in that department.

truth and fairness. I agree.

lcd

Match Penalty
Disappointed for her with the Short Program at Cup of China. Get it together girl!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agnes has been tall for awhile now so her height shouldn't be the problem. She's almost 20 now so she's been done with growing for a couple years now. Her inconsistency isn't because she's not used to being tall.

I was thinking the same thing, that the last few years at Nationals I've noticed how tall she is.