Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How are Agnes Chances-she seems forgotten

Custom Title
    If her height has interfered with her jump rhythm, it might have cost her her self-confidence--only temporarily, I hope. If she has the chance to rebalance herself with her new body, she will improve, I'm sure.

Custom Title
    Agnes has been tall for awhile now so her height shouldn't be the problem. She's almost 20 now so she's been done with growing for a couple years now. Her inconsistency isn't because she's not used to being tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Pepe, if I were a skater from a family with not a lot of money, I'd spend it all on a choreographer and buy a cheap costume. So I wouldn't hold that against her. In the old days, any number of skaters including Peggy Fleming wore skating dresses sewn by their mothers. I know that costumes are different now, but I still feel reluctant to judge someone on a lack of resources in that department.
    truth and fairness. I agree.

Custom Title
    Disappointed for her with the Short Program at Cup of China. Get it together girl!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Agnes has been tall for awhile now so her height shouldn't be the problem. She's almost 20 now so she's been done with growing for a couple years now. Her inconsistency isn't because she's not used to being tall.
    I was thinking the same thing, that the last few years at Nationals I've noticed how tall she is.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, that the last few years at Nationals I've noticed how tall she is.
    Yeah, I honestly don't think it's her height/weight especially when you look at her nationals results over the past two years. It's not her technique or her height...

Mentally, she's not a good competitor. There are a lot of skaters who have amazing skills (jumps, spins, etc.) and yet never reach their potential b/c they can't handle the pressure.

Agnes kills me, and the USFSA as regards her kills me too.

Yes, she has potential, yes. Yes, she's a decent preformer and has monster jumps when she manages to land them (never in competition! hint hint USFSA- NEVER IN COMPETITION!).

However, she can't get it together. She's had countless chances over 3 or 4 seasons now. She has NEVER skated anything remotely resembling a clean LP in international (or, actually, national) competition. And I don't mean oh, one fall or one mistake in a LP- she has never skated anything remotely resembling a clean LP. 106 remains her highest international FS score if I'm not mistaken. That is a BAD score. It currently represents her MAXIMUM potential. It is utterly bizarre that the USFSA keeps giving her such inflated scores on home soil when pretty much every other American ladies skater who is considered a contender by USFSA- and some who are not seemingly considered contenders- have both the potential and in fact the near certainty of outscoring her internationally.

It is time for her to be dumped by the fed, as so many better skaters have been dumped before her. I know I sound a little crazy, but this has all just gone on for too long. I'm not suggesting she should never be allowed to compete again, or that, if she ever gets it together, she should not be rewarded. If she ever gets it together, wonderful. But until then, she doesn't deserve to be treated as a contender for the 3rd Oly spot, especially if she skates flawed programs at Nationals, which she will (only to get ridiculously inflated score that she would never be able to replicate at the Olys or anywhere). I'm sorry but this is the truth.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Agnes kills me, and the USFSA as regards her kills me too.

Yes, she has potential, yes. Yes, she's a decent preformer and has monster jumps when she manages to land them (never in competition! hint hint USFSA- NEVER IN COMPETITION!).

However, she can't get it together. She's had countless chances over 3 or 4 seasons now. She has NEVER skated anything remotely resembling a clean LP in international (or, actually, national) competition. And I don't mean oh, one fall or one mistake in a LP- she has never skated anything remotely resembling a clean LP. 106 remains her highest international FS score if I'm not mistaken. That is a BAD score. It currently represents her MAXIMUM potential. It is utterly bizarre that the USFSA keeps giving her such inflated scores on home soil when pretty much every other American ladies skater who is considered a contender by USFSA- and some who are not seemingly considered contenders- have both the potential and in fact the near certainty of outscoring her internationally.

It is time for her to be dumped by the fed, as so many better skaters have been dumped before her. I know I sound a little crazy, but this has all just gone on for too long. I'm not suggesting she should never be allowed to compete again, or that, if she ever gets it together, she should not be rewarded. If she ever gets it together, wonderful. But until then, she doesn't deserve to be treated as a contender for the 3rd Oly spot, especially if she skates flawed programs at Nationals, which she will (only to get ridiculously inflated score that she would never be able to replicate at the Olys or anywhere). I'm sorry but this is the truth.
    Harsh but essentially true. I think this GP season was Agnes' last chance to really make a statement that she's finally pulled it all together--and so far it isn't going well. With US talent depth and skaters like Wang, Miller, Edmunds, Cesario added to the usual suspects of Wagner, Gold, Gao and maybe Nagasu, I think Agnes' time is nearly up and it will become painfully obvious at US Nationals.

I can't help but think that one reason for her seemingly bulletproof backing by the USFS all this time has been that Colorado Springs is her training location, so she's right there and maybe has a bit of politicking going on, year round.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I can't help but think that one reason for her seemingly bulletproof backing by the USFS all this time has been that Colorado Springs is her training location, so she's right there and maybe has a bit of politicking going on, year round.
    I might agree with that before Agnes went back to Tom Z, she was coached by Krall for much of that time and she also coaches Angela Wang and Joshua Farris. Yes, they skate junior internationally, but they get no favors when they skate senior at the national level.

Custom Title
    Can she be stripped of her next GP event? Can they give her spot to someone else?

Custom Title
    Her chances are near 0.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    What Tulosai said. When you always bomb in competition, while representing a country where the level is generally very high, you have no place being sent to international competitions, I am sorry.

To be fair to USFS though, Zawadzki's GP assigments are based on her previous results/world ranking. She was selected by the ISU and not USFS.

Of course if USFS would give their up-and-coming skaters a chance to 'enter the system' selecting them as host picks instead of Flatt last year and Zhang this year, then they could take over from skaters like Zawadzki. Oh well.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What Tulosai said. When you always bomb in competition, while representing a country where the level is generally very high, you have no place being sent to international competitions, I am sorry.

To be fair to USFS though, Zawadzki's GP assigments are based on her previous results/world ranking. She was selected by the ISU and not USFS.

Of course if USFS would give their up-and-coming skaters a chance to 'enter the system' selecting them as host picks instead of Flatt last year and Zhang this year, then they could take over from skaters like Zawadzki. Oh well.
    I agree to an extent. However, it is not as if the US has this ongoing supply of fabulous competitors that Agnes is holding back. I didn't understand Zhang at SA, at all, and thought Hicks should have gotten the spot. But Gao has been disappointing this season so far, Gracie is doing okay, both falling. Agnes is an exciting skater when she's on, and has a great skill set. Her jumps are the best in the business, I think even better than Gracie's. Let's see how she does in the LP, she could pull up to a medal. Many of the competitors ahead of her are UR's. You never know what will happen, though the past is a pretty good indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Yes to absolutely clarify, Agnes earned her GP spots fair and square. I'm not suggesting she not be allowed to compete and to improve if she can. I'm merely suggesting that the USA should stop inflating her scores at nationals and pushing her internationally/politiking for her. IIRC, Nagasu, for example, one of the big URers, has a lowest ever international LP score that is pretty much the same as Agnes's highest one. Now of course I am a big and unabashed fan of Nagasu but I don't mean by this that USA should start pushing Nagasu. I'm merely saying that logic dictates that if they have dumped someone preforming at Nagasu's level, they should surely dump someone preforming at Agnes's level, as it is objectively lower than Nagasu's. They evidently feel Agnes has more potential than Nagasu, but even if true who cares? She has had just as long as Nagasu to pull herself together. Like Nagasu, she has failed, and without the fun career highlights like 4th at Olys along the way.

Again I know I'm being very blunt here but I am not meaning to bash anyone and am not an Agnes hater, I am just honestly calling it like I see it. If Agnes can improve and turn things around, I will be happy for her, just as I would for Nagasu (if slightly less totally off the wall giddy).

As another issue, Agnes does not get high PCS internationally and never has, quite separate from her inability to land jumps. Does USFSA think she is going to miraculously start getting them? This whole love affair between them is bizarre to say the least.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    .....I'm merely suggesting that the USA should stop inflating her scores at nationals and pushing her internationally/politiking for her.

As another issue, Agnes does not get high PCS internationally and never has, quite separate from her inability to land jumps. Does USFSA think she is going to miraculously start getting them? This whole love affair between them is bizarre to say the least.
    This and this.
    Dear USFS: Please tech call and judge what really happens on the ice at Nationals and stop giving brownie points to your pet skaters.
    Dear Other Skaters: Please skate really really incontrovertably better than Agnes so there is no lingering doubt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast