Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Least Talented/Worthy Olympic Champion(s) ever?

Sale and Pelletier are not deplorable, nasty and vile. Attila the Hun, maybe so, but not S&P. They are just figure skaters.

Custom Title
    Alexei Urmonov was a bit of a one-hit wonder

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Sale and Pelletier are not deplorable, nasty and vile. Attila the Hun, maybe so, but not S&P. They are just figure skaters.
    True. Those are the Wolfgang Schwarz adjectives. If you use these for S&P, what do you have left for Schwarz?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    True. Those are the Wolfgang Schwarz adjectives. If you use these for S&P, what do you have left for Schwarz?
    Excellent point.

The word vile seems to have been made just for the kind of person Schwartz turned out to be.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Also, I think Sale and Pelletier became pawns by people who had agendas. Journalists like Christine Brennan and Phil Hersch saw it as a way to make money and write about figure skating. Commentators saw it as a way to stay on the air. The ISU may have seen the S/P situation as a way to push for the new system they were developing.

Rinkside
    OK, my first post here on this fantastic forum! For me, the least worthy Olympic Champion is Tara Lipinski - she was undoubtedly quite talented when it came to her jumps, BUT she was devoid of all musicality, which is the essential point for me. With her, I always had the feeling that the music she was skating too, could be anything random. She didn't ever try to *feel* the music. She was on the verge of being "unwatchable" to me.....

Welcome to Golden Skate, deneuved! Post long & often

Rinkside
    Thanks, I will try, even if I'm probably less of an expert than lots of you are! But I love this forum since I discovered it some weeks ago.

Everyone except elite skaters & former skaters start as total non experts. The rest of us are not experts either - we just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm-h7YR_410

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I think Oksana is among the most talented all-around skaters ever to compete in the sport, and she won a world title, so I don't think she should be considered either the least talented or the least worthy champion. Any champion pre-1994 also would not have won in 1998 so I'm not sure what that has to do with it.
    Midori ito and Kristi Yamaguchi could have won 1998 if they stayed.
    And no, Ito return in 1996 with anemia doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by TryMeLater View Post
    Midori ito and Kristi Yamaguchi could have won 1998 if they stayed.
    And no, Ito return in 1996 with anemia doesn't count.
    Ito would have been 28 and Yamaguchi 26. They would have to go clean (unlike 1992) to beat a clean Tara or Michelle.

Custom Title
    Welcome, deneuved! Many of us here are not experts. I'm certainly not! I just love skating, and if you do also, this is the place for you.

Medalist
    Ito would have been 28 and Yamaguchi 26. They would have to go clean (unlike 1992) to beat a clean Tara or Michelle.
    Yamaguchi continued to compete in professional shows during that time (and win). Her artistic impression has grown so much during that time.
    She even beat Kwan at the 1995 (or was it 1996?) ultimate four SP.
    Yamaguchi chances were higher than Ito's, but one has to wonder how Ito's comeback would have been had she not suffered from Anemia.
    BTW-Either of them could have easily won 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Also, I think Sale and Pelletier became pawns by people who had agendas. Journalists like Christine Brennan and Phil Hersch saw it as a way to make money and write about figure skating. Commentators saw it as a way to stay on the air. The ISU may have seen the S/P situation as a way to push for the new system they were developing.
    Skate Canada saw it as a way to get their proposed new judging system incorporated. *dons tinfoil hat proudly*

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TryMeLater View Post
    Yamaguchi continued to compete in professional shows during that time (and win). Her artistic impression has grown so much during that time.
    She even beat Kwan at the 1995 (or was it 1996?) ultimate four SP.
    Yes, but could she have skated a clean LP with 7 triple jumps and maintained the artistic improvements at the same time?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast