Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Least Talented/Worthy Olympic Champion(s) ever?

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Also, I think Sale and Pelletier became pawns by people who had agendas.
    Jamie and David tried to skate their best, as did Elena and Anton. As expected the judges split along familiar Cold War lines, with Russia, Poland, China and Ukraine preferring the Russian team and USA, Canada, Germany and Japan going for the North Americans. The French judge broke the tie, then tearfully confessed that she was pressured into voting that way by her Federation chief and her personal friends in the Russian contingent. She later recanted.

None of this is the skaters' fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog
    Journalists like Christine Brennan and Phil Hersch saw it as a way to make money and write about figure skating.
    But what really got Christine Brennan up in arms was the fact that Irina Slutskaya came within a whisker of winning ahead of Sarah Hughes. Brennan went on and on about how this would have been the most scandalous outcome in the history of skating.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Skate Canada saw it as a way to get their proposed new judging system incorporated. *dons tinfoil hat proudly*
    though they did play a role to foil the old system as corrupt and make a new scoring
    doesn't negate as to what S/P, one of the worst pairs to ever exist with especially that Sale with her crocodile tears, what a nasty woman

Custom Title
    this thread is becoming uglier and uglier...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Sale and Pelletier are not deplorable, nasty and vile. Attila the Hun, maybe so, but not S&P. They are just figure skaters.
    I can see why people don't like S&P and even why they think they were crybabies in 2002. But they did skate well and had a good competitive record to prove they were not a fluke. I do not put them in the category of "unworthy" or "untalented" winners.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=skateluvr;782305]
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post

Tech-wise, Arakawa's 2006 win. Didn't she only only have five triples? Lovely in every other way, but this was not a great ladies' event.[/QUOTE]

so true...she had 3x3x3 and did not need to really compete given sasha's mistakes. A shame because her practices showed her athletic prowess. She did not have to go for it-she chose clean ho-hum for an unmemorable win. She is a beautiful skater, really lovely, but her gold will never be replayed or talked of. She should have done more-kinda cowardly win. Still, she did have an arsenal she did not use. too bad for posterity!
    I think Shizuka was skating for a medal, not the big win. That is why she didn't pull out all the stops in her program. As it turned out, the other top skaters make mistakes, giving Shiz the gold. Her Olympic program was not her best, but she is still a worthy and talented OGM winner.

Banned
    But what really got Christine Brennan up in arms was the fact that Irina Slutskaya came within a whisker of winning ahead of Sarah Hughes. Brennan went on and on about how this would have been the most scandalous outcome in the history of skating.
    Scandalous only in the U.S really. Actually come to think of it not even there, Hughes is no Michelle Kwan, she is not beloved or someone people even care about really. The Eurosport commentators were even suggesting Irina might win the gold by winning the LP after she finished, despite her mistakes and subpar performance. They referenced the many weak areas of Hughes technique and skating, even after the skate of her life. Furthermore there are a ton of people who believe Hughes should have been way below 4th in the short program, and most believe Irina should have won the short over Michelle as well, so even for those who felt strongly about Hughes losing the LP to Irina being a wrong result, would not have jumped much knowing that given the short programs the result probably shouldnt have been Hughes winning the overall title over either Irina or michelle to begin with.

Brennan would have been a 1 women army with everyone either ignoring or laughing at her like she is 99% of the time. The Sale & Pelletier case was one of the rare cases anyone else joined her World. Mind you when it came to the Sale & Pelletier thing she had a HUGE agenda. At the time Lori Nichol was basically her best friend, and Lori Nichol choreographs for and is very close to Sale & Pelletier. Anyone who has ever followed Brennan knows that her knowledge on figure skating is close to nil and everything she does is agenda driven. It is just a shame that in this case the media decided to sensationalize a story around a pair who in fact had been grossly overscored and given several gift wins themselves in the last 2 years (S&P) and happen to fall in line with Brennan's own agenda and made her worthwhile for once.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    this thread is becoming uglier and uglier...
    I agree, but are we really surprised?

Banned
    Ito would have been 28 and Yamaguchi 26. They would have to go clean (unlike 1992) to beat a clean Tara or Michelle.
    Tara and Midori of 92 transported to 98 and skating cleanly could beat Michelle and Tara. Although Kristi almost never skated cleanly anyway due to the triple salchow.

However Kristi and Midori werent actually going to comeback at 26 and 28 years old and beat Michelle and Tara. That is too old to have been out of amateur competition that long and realistically be in gold contention against skaters like that. They would be fighting for the bronze at best at that point.

As for the people who mention Kristi beat Michelle in the short at the fall 96 Four Continents, well yes she did, but that is a a far cry from doing the 6 or 7 triple LPs with a triple lutz-triple toe and a 2nd triple lutz at the end she used to do. I highly doubt she could do that anymore. As it turned out she couldnt even complete her planned 4 triple LP (she doubled 2 of them and fell on a double axel) to beat Michelle in this silly cheesefest, losing her SP lead. In Pro events by then she was struggling to continue doing 4 or 5 clean triple programs which she had done in her early pro years, and was starting to lose many pro events to Yuka Sato as a result.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    I get a warm glow looking back at the 1998 Nagano ladies free skate event and knowing now that the 16-year-old Japanese representative at that Olympics would fail to make the team 4 years later, but come back EIGHT years later to win gold.

Since it's sad that Michelle, even with her long career, would no longer be at her best by 2006, it's incredible to me to realize that Arakawa was at Nagano and Torino.

And I am unapologetically off topic here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

Brennan would have been a 1 women army with everyone either ignoring or laughing at her like she is 99% of the time. The Sale & Pelletier case was one of the rare cases anyone else joined her World. Mind you when it came to the Sale & Pelletier thing she had a HUGE agenda. At the time Lori Nichol was basically her best friend, and Lori Nichol choreographs for and is very close to Sale & Pelletier. Anyone who has ever followed Brennan knows that her knowledge on figure skating is close to nil and everything she does is agenda driven. It is just a shame that in this case the media decided to sensationalize a story around a pair who in fact had been grossly overscored and given several gift wins themselves in the last 2 years (S&P) and happen to fall in line with Brennan's own agenda and made her worthwhile for once.
    you hit the nail clearly, S&P were overmarked throughout their career
    the deplorable pair even stole B&S a GPF gold, of course any results not won by S&P was a scandal, yeah right
    Brennan sensationalised as her hidden agenda bragging about the shift of Pairs to NA and end of soviet old dominance,
    btw this woman is a moron I agree, didn't you read her 2013 Worlds articles

Banned
    Christine Brennan was so desperate for a storyline several years ago she even tried to write about Tonya Harding again. What a know nothing loser, who never should have had anything to do with the sport, as my cat knows more about the sport of figure skating than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Brennan would have been a 1 women army with everyone either ignoring or laughing at her like she is 99% of the time.
    I think what would have fried Brennan's cookies, and also Phil Hersh's, was the thought that Irina Slutskaya could possibly beat anyone at anything. They thought that Irina's skating was ungraceful, graceless, and overall lacking in grace. They were flabbergasted every time Irina beat Michelle, which started happening more and more often after 2000.

Still, I like them both. Even if I didn't, they are the only skating columnists we've got in a country of 300,000,000 people, so we have to take the bad with the good.

Banned
    Probably, but despite that had Slutskaya been an American and not competing against their beloved Kwan they would have hypocritically worshiped her to the heavens anyway. Just look at the over the top never ending gushing they give Nancy Kerrigan who has neither any artistry, any impressive athleticsm, and isnt even consistent (yes probably deserved the 94 ladies gold, but just shows what a massive hole womens skating was in at the time).

As for Slutskaya she was lucky to hit her peak in this same all time worst 93-2003 period in ladies skating, and that after Tara retired they needed a rival for Michelle as the rest of the field was so weak. Also was lucky Michelle peaked in 96-98 and technically and artistically stagnated and even slowly declined from there, despite that she still stayed or near the top until 2003. Had she been in her prime today, Slutskaya would be getting results more on par with someone like Sotnikova's; and had she been in her prime in a previous era her results would be something like Kira Ivanova's at best.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    I get a warm glow looking back at the 1998 Nagano ladies free skate event and knowing now that the 16-year-old Japanese representative at that Olympics would fail to make the team 4 years later, but come back EIGHT years later to win gold.

Since it's sad that Michelle, even with her long career, would no longer be at her best by 2006, it's incredible to me to realize that Arakawa was at Nagano and Torino.

And I am unapologetically off topic here.
    Well, you may be off-topic, but it's a digression I like, and I'll happily follow you there. Yes, it's a wonderful thought to contemplate that Arakawa had such a span of excellence and strength. It's one of the aspects of her skating that makes me see her as such a deserving OGM winner in 2006, despite the fact that she skated so conservatively on the actual night. She had been doing triple-triples all week in the practices and clearly had them in her arsenal. And then she retained her triples for her pro career, even though by that time she was in her mid-twenties. The overall arc of her career puts her on the list of greats to me, though she didn't have the star-power wattage of some other skaters through those years. Whenever I make a list of my forever favorites, she's always there.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Questions for those who posted above regarding Christine Brennan:

- Are Lori Nichol and she still best friends?

- Would you say that in this Olympic season, Brennan has personal agendas re skating? What do you believe that they are?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast