Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Least Talented/Worthy Olympic Champion(s) ever?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I have to go with Sarah Hughes. The Olympics is the only major championship she ever won! I'm not saying she didn't deserve to win in 2002, just that she is the weakest Olympic champion ever in terms of her competitive record and her overall place in the sport.
    THANK YOU! That's a large part of the reason I picked her too.

Banned
    In no particular order

1 Katarina Witt - 2nd one . well everyone had a not so good event but still
    2 Totmianina/Marinin
    3 Trixi Schuba
    4 Sale/Pelletier
    5 Evan Lysacek
    6 Sarah Hughes

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Yes, I forgot about Anett. Linda Fratiane should have had the medal!
    I'd place Linda over Anett, but she wasn't GREAT either. Denise Beillmann should have won the 1980 Olympics! And Emi Watanabe should have won 1980 Worlds! Let's take a moment to appreciate this special Japanese lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzNDUiHkai8

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Grishuk and Platov... the first time.

Their stirring rendition of "Rock Around the Clock" beats the sublime, and much more deserving U/Z, as well as T/D on their Olympic comeback.

I really can't say that much about the second OGM, since I had lost so much interest in ice dance by then that I hardly watched it at all.

I didn't enjoy their skating at all. I especially did not like her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post

Their stirring rendition of "Rock Around the Clock" beats the sublime, and much more deserving U/Z, as well as T/D on their Olympic comeback.

I really can't say that much about the second OGM, since I had lost so much interest in ice dance by then that I hardly watched it at all.

I kind of agree with you. I could appreciate their speed and difficulty, but U and Z were indeed sublime. and I found Pasha superficial and mugging in her presentation-not a true artist. I did like Platov a lot, though.

Sarah was electric... no way is she least deserving.

Urmanov wasn't as bad as so many make him out to be, either.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I'd place Linda over Anett, but she wasn't GREAT either. Denise Beillmann should have won the 1980 Olympics! And Emi Watanabe should have won 1980 Worlds! Let's take a moment to appreciate this special Japanese lady:

agreed! linda vs. anett is one of the most mediocre rivalries in women's skating. although, anett's "funny girl" free skate in '80 was actually a much improved vehicle for her, and she had clean, solid edges and jumps. linda, however, always struck me as milquetoast on ice, and while much has been made of how she "wuzrobbed" at the olympics, this revisionist history forgets that biellmann won the free in lake placid. the best free skaters of '76-80 were without a doubt biellmann, watanabe, lisa-marie allen, and for a brief moment, the prodigious excitement of elena vodorezova.

Custom Title
    I would also go with Sarah Hughes. Urmanov at least skated better than the others at that event. But I didn't even think that Hughes skated better @ SLC, just that the scoring was not quite right. Even with Kwan and Slutskaya faltering, I think they were still better.

I would also echo that Sale and Pelletier were undeserving.

I do in general think one's reputation should not matter and that whoever skates best should win just like in all the other sporting events. My biggest hope is that everyone skates clean and the best one wins fairly and squarely..

Of the ones, I've seen..

Women - Oksana Baiul or Sarah Hughes. I actually prefer Sarah to Oksana. Oksana never would have won against Michelle or Tara in '98. I'm not sure if she would even have beat Kristi or Midori with their '92 performances. I've never seen Poetzsch.

Men - I was pretty moved by Lysacek's performance in 2010 so I don't want to say him, although you could make a case for him losing to Plushenko OR Takahashi OR both in the SP. I barely remember Urmanov's performance, besides that it wasn't earth-shatteringly wonderful. I guess I'll go with Scott Hamilton since his LP was horrid, and without the figures I doubt he would have won.

Pairs - I actually can't recall any pairs whom I think didn't deserve the title.. Shen and Zhao didn't skate a good LP in 2010 but they still deserved the title.. I think neither B/S nor S/P were unworthy in 2002. If I had to choose I guess I would go with K/D in 1998 since they were underwhelming in comparison with M/D.

Dance - Can't think of any, although Navka/Kostomarov weren't very interesting.

Grischuk/Platov's second gold was also well-deserved. The dance was very good, that was a real dance, they danced so close to each other, what is very difficult. And they were able to do that very fast. And for me Platov is the best dancer ever. And I disagre with the opinion on Navka/ Kostomarov, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

Wow, Emi was so good, this was like a textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post

U&Z was a sublime couple, but unfortunately, I don't think their Fellini program fully expressed their talents. It was a very mediocre and uninteresting program for their standards.

Custom Title
    Pairs: Sale/Pelletier should have gotten silver
    Men: Manfred Schwarz
    Ladies: Sarah Hughes was way too up after the sp, silver for her would have been a big achievement
    Dance: Gritshuk/Platov in 1994 (they were good, but did not deserve to win, IMO)

I donno know whether there should be any 'least talented' Olympic Champ. To reach that level and win gold is something most can only dream of.
    Unworthy? That is very subjective. It sounds like 'wuzrobbed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Pairs: Sale/Pelletier should have gotten silver
    Men: Manfred Schwarz
    Ladies: Sarah Hughes was way too up after the sp, silver for her would have been a big achievement
    Dance: Gritshuk/Platov in 1994 (they were good, but did not deserve to win, IMO)
    I think G&P won by default. T&D would have won except they screwed themselves with that illegal lift. U&Z's program just wasn't up to par.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast