Using the MBTA | Golden Skate

Using the MBTA

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've kind of given up on public transportation, but I've used it other places and it worked out ok. The trip planner feature really helps. Just be sure to check and see when the last trains (or buses or whatever) leave North Station on the weekend to be sure you can get back to the Seaport without difficulty.

Boston LOC hasn't provided any info yet on the shuttle from official hotels, but it should be out shortly. I'll probably just use the shuttle.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good point...thankfully, the trains run late most nights.....if not, there are always cabs...
Susan said that we should see info on the shuttles any week now. If they are under 100 bucks, I will probably get one....I have had some bad experiences on public transportation but London Ontario Canada worlds was not one of them.
The bus drivers and other passengers were very friendly and helpful....
Susan said each hotel will have lots of info about how to ride the subway....I cant even imagine what some of those big underground main stations must look like....inbound...outbound....NSEW...red line silver line orange line....

Chris the hick from WA state who may never return and his fate is still unlearned....:confused:

I've kind of given up on public transportation, but I've used it other places and it worked out ok. The trip planner feature really helps. Just be sure to check and see when the last trains (or buses or whatever) leave North Station on the weekend to be sure you can get back to the Seaport without difficulty.

Boston LOC hasn't provided any info yet on the shuttle from official hotels, but it should be out shortly. I'll probably just use the shuttle.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah, just the idea of a subway is freaky to me... The Metro rail thingie in Portland was terrifying enough.

(Chris you are not a Hick... Washington is way more "in the know" than Alaska)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The Portland Light rail is better than many systems.....especially if it is a bright sunny warm day....the Cleveland light rail from the Airport to downtown in winter at night with missing station signs and ticket sellers behind booths made of bullet proof glass (and the train drivers are in bullet proof glass cages) is spooky....
The Boston system makes more sense the more I study it...and for $18 for a week it is inexpensive. Nice to be able to study the town with google street view....
I still am waiting for info on the shuttle buses....Once Greensboro figured out how to run their shuttle bus system at nats, it was a joy....I had time to go back to the hotel and nap or get to a restaurant....
(Thanks Toni, but I have to wonder if folks up in Alaska are smarter than we are in WA state...they are farther away from WA DC....)

Yeah, just the idea of a subway is freaky to me... The Metro rail thingie in Portland was terrifying enough.

(Chris you are not a Hick... Washington is way more "in the know" than Alaska)

samson

Medalist
Damn! I had just finished writing a lengthy response for you guys, when my internet quit on me and I lost everything!

Long story short, as someone who used to live in the city I definitely recommend the subway as a way to get around. It's pretty clean, safe, a lot simpler to navigate than 90% of the subway systems out there, while at times it shows its age at the oldest system in the country, it's very efficient.

I also wanted to add, that for those of you who haven't been to Boston since 2001, the city has a changed a lot, and for the better! They got rid of the old elevated highway that used to run along the garden and moved it underground. They've replaced it with lots of park space and new developments so it just feels a lot cleaner and way more pleasant to be in that neighborhood.

It also means even more bars and restaurants have opened up and it's WAY more pleasant to walk to places like The North End, Faneuil Hall etc...

The Seaport is on of Boston emerging neighborhoods. There are some great new restaurants very near the BCEC and also some good shopping too like LouisBoston. Also the Institute of Contemporary Art opened a big, really cool space in the neighborhood that cantilevers over the harbor. DEfinitely worth checking out.

So with that said, getting to the venues early and eating grabbing a bite in the neighborhoods is a real possibility and a good idea.

When the weather is nice, it's actually a really nice walk from The Garden to The Seaport. But I would only recommend that if there's good weather out, which is rare in January.

So with that said the one weakness of the subway system is it closes pretty early. The last trains leaves at 12:15 so it probably hits North Station around 12:20ish.

I myself won't be there. It was either go home for Christmas or Nationals but I hope everyone has a great time! I'm definitely going to try to make it out for Worlds in 2015. That's too good an opportunity to pass up!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Samson, thank you for your input. I always like to hear from those that have lived or are currently living local...especially about restaurants for Breakfast and dinner....I have found that time seems to be very limited at these events if you want to see lots of practices and comps.....I see there are lots of good places near the Seaport for supper.....
Damn! I had just finished writing a lengthy response for you guys, when my internet quit on me and I lost everything!

Long story short, as someone who used to live in the city I definitely recommend the subway as a way to get around. It's pretty clean, safe, a lot simpler to navigate than 90% of the subway systems out there, while at times it shows its age at the oldest system in the country, it's very efficient.

I also wanted to add, that for those of you who haven't been to Boston since 2001, the city has a changed a lot, and for the better! They got rid of the old elevated highway that used to run along the garden and moved it underground. They've replaced it with lots of park space and new developments so it just feels a lot cleaner and way more pleasant to be in that neighborhood.

It also means even more bars and restaurants have opened up and it's WAY more pleasant to walk to places like The North End, Faneuil Hall etc...

The Seaport is on of Boston emerging neighborhoods. There are some great new restaurants very near the BCEC and also some good shopping too like LouisBoston. Also the Institute of Contemporary Art opened a big, really cool space in the neighborhood that cantilevers over the harbor. DEfinitely worth checking out.

So with that said, getting to the venues early and eating grabbing a bite in the neighborhoods is a real possibility and a good idea.

When the weather is nice, it's actually a really nice walk from The Garden to The Seaport. But I would only recommend that if there's good weather out, which is rare in January.

So with that said the one weakness of the subway system is it closes pretty early. The last trains leaves at 12:15 so it probably hits North Station around 12:20ish.

I myself won't be there. It was either go home for Christmas or Nationals but I hope everyone has a great time! I'm definitely going to try to make it out for Worlds in 2015. That's too good an opportunity to pass up!