Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 126

Thread: The Battle for Bronze - Ice Dance

  1. #31
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Who is Ilia Averbukh? Talk is cheap, let's get to the ice!!
    Coach and choreographer. Can't recall if he choreographed B/S' programs?

  2. #32
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Who is Ilia Averbukh?
    I don't know you are joking or not...

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Sorry I should clarify, I know about 2011 worlds but thats just worlds...in the Olympics I foresee a European team (and likely B/S) shutting out W/P because ice dance is the one discipline you can get away with favoured placements PCS/GOE due to the lack of errors. And as far as politicking goes, the Russian fed would have to still hope for a good skate from Plushenko/Julia to justify medal wins whereas B/S simply cleanly executing their programs (no matter how bad the programs are) will be enough for a bronze. Its not a certainty, but home ice advantage in ice dance can make ridiculous things happen... Remember Fusarpoli/Margaglio winning the CD in Torino?
    But bronze means nothing. Look at the reaction to d/s bronze from Vancouver! It was seen as disgrace and failure and the articles were all about the end and collapse of Russian ice dance- in Russia!! Russia is not going to bother with second loser medals.

    Plus d/s were world champions whose od was trash and fd involved cheating to na people and b/a weren't wc and their programs were garbage too. It's why the coaching of high profile skaters by linichuk has ended. She destroyed her business in 2010 because of both d/s and b/a.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    883


    [QUOTE=plushyfan;781763]I don't know you are joking or not...

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    Who is Ilia Averbukh? Talk is cheap, let's get to the ice!!
    Averbukh is the 2002 Olympic ice dance silver medalist and 2002 World ice dance champion and 2003 world ice dance silver medalist with Irina Lobacheva.

  6. #36
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Averbukh is the choreographer of Lipnitskaia's LP.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    883
    ^^ Noted.

  8. #38
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,622
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Averbukh is the 2002 Olympic ice dance silver medalist and 2002 World ice dance champion and 2003 world ice dance silver medalist with Irina Lobacheva.
    And he also won junior worlds twice with Marina Anissina before leaving her for Lobacheva, who he later married and divorced.

  9. #39
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    And he also won junior worlds twice with Marina Anissina before leaving her for Lobacheva, who he later married and divorced.
    Yes. But I'm sure, he isn't right in this case.

  10. #40
    Custom Title CassAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    326
    Which team does Ilia think has the gold, or does he think that all three medals are toss-ups between USA, Canada and Russia?

  11. #41
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    But bronze means nothing. Look at the reaction to d/s bronze from Vancouver! It was seen as disgrace and failure and the articles were all about the end and collapse of Russian ice dance- in Russia!! Russia is not going to bother with second loser medals.

    Plus d/s were world champions whose od was trash and fd involved cheating to na people and b/a weren't wc and their programs were garbage too. It's why the coaching of high profile skaters by linichuk has ended. She destroyed her business in 2010 because of both d/s and b/a.

    I see your point, but D/S were in a different position from B/S (or I/K). D/S were reigning world champs and expected by their federation to follow up with an Olympic Gold. I personally don't think there was anything "disgraceful" about their results, but I can understand why there was disappointment within the Russian Fed with a bronze where they had expected gold.

    On the other hand, a bronze would be a coup for either B/S or I/K, both of which are realistically no more than bronze challenger teams at the moment. And wouldn't the Russian Fed have an interest in doing all they could to help a Russian team get that bronze simply because the bronze medalist will go into the next quad as the front runner for gold if both V/M and D/W retire after this season - which is certainly possible?

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Russia wants to stop a North American sweep then they need to get better simple as that. I notice they never complained when Russia was dominating Ice Dancing.
    I don't understand the resistance to sending b/s and I/k and whatever russian team has talent to Detroit to be coached by zeuva spiliband krylova camerlengo. Its obvious that's where the talent in coaching is.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,724
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
    I see your point, but D/S were in a different position from B/S (or I/K). D/S were reigning world champs and expected by their federation to follow up with an Olympic Gold. I personally don't think there was anything "disgraceful" about their results, but I can understand why there was disappointment within the Russian Fed with a bronze where they had expected gold.

    On the other hand, a bronze would be a coup for either B/S or I/K, both of which are realistically no more than bronze challenger teams at the moment. And wouldn't the Russian Fed have an interest in doing all they could to help a Russian team get that bronze simply because the bronze medalist will go into the next quad as the front runner for gold if both V/M and D/W retire after this season - which is certainly possible?
    They aren't going to work for bronze for b/s when gold for v/t is so much more likely. A team gold is also more possible than any dance medal. Gold Medals- wins- in Sochi are going to be the priority. Politics for Gold in 2018 can begin as soon as worlds 2014. I just assume no work will be done at all to get a Russian dance team a medal. especially not bronze which really gets no respect at all because silver and bronze means you lost the event. And Russia has always judged an Olympics by events won not the alternate rare medals won.

  14. #44
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    They aren't going to work for bronze for b/s when gold for v/t is so much more likely. A team gold is also more possible than any dance medal. Gold Medals- wins- in Sochi are going to be the priority. Politics for Gold in 2018 can begin as soon as worlds 2014. I just assume no work will be done at all to get a Russian dance team a medal. especially not bronze which really gets no respect at all because silver and bronze means you lost the event. And Russia has always judged an Olympics by events won not the alternate rare medals won.
    If I were running a skating federation, I'd assume a little forethought and advance planning for the next quad never hurts and might pay off eventually, so why not engage in it? However, it seems you have some insight into the inner workings of the Russian Fed, so I will take note of your thoughts here.

    I thought B/S had a fascinating FD last year. Looking at the clips above, I am not so sure about this season's FD. Maybe it'll be more impressive with additional training - I am looking forward to seeing a more finished product this weekend.

    With P/B and B/S going head to head in a truly competitive match up, the CoC dance event looks to be the most exciting of the season so far.

  15. #45
    Custom Title BlackPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,047
    I always support the underdog Russian teams that few people like. I support B&S. Averbukh has done good work on Ice Age along with Zhulin. But even as a fan I can't see B&S getting silver unless the North Americans retire. Averbukh is a zaney fellow. His ex-wife Irina said that he politiks (networking) and parties a lot, and that's how he got Ice Age off the ground.

    You may be right that W&P walks away with the bronze. W&P's programs are simply fantastic. The execution of their SD was smooth as silk, and I think their tango is one of the best ever.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-02-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: remove quotation of unapproved post

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •