What's the latest on Plushenko and/or Lysacek's health & ability to compete in Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What's the latest on Plushenko and/or Lysacek's health & ability to compete in Sochi?

whitebamboo

On the Ice
I love Plushy, but he was tremendously overscored in the short program. No way should Gachinski's clean jumps, quad-included, all level-4 SP have only scored less than a point more than Plushy's. That was reputation scoring at its finest.

The margin was also disproportionately large in the LP, too. The only mistake Artur made was a step-out of one jump. That was it. He shouldn't have lost by 15 points.

I know you love Artur. I am merely saying that as far as I know, there has been no serious suggestions of controversy about Plushenko's win at the 2012 EC in general (given that the OP seems to have not followed it much, and was asking).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Regardless of Plushenko scoring the PCS given to Gachinski has always been just barely over neutral. Even if he skated the best at euro 2012 it was just neutral and judges just gave 7's really and it was not proper.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Thanks so much to everyone who has shared info and thoughts. I had forgotten that Plush competed at Europeans - I don't get Universal Sports and only this year subscribed to Ice Network so have been a bit out of the loop.

I agree that the Western media certainly depicted Plushenko as arrogant and cold in comparison with the more appealing Yagudin, and based on what you say this may well have been a misrepresentation. I admire Plushenko's skill and grit immensely. I'm not a big fan of his somewhat flashy/flamboyant style, but you've got to have huge respect for his longevity, jumping prowess, and courage in trying to come back from a devastating condition.

Re Lysacek, I truly don't think this is about the limelight for him- I think it is about his burning desire to compete and achieve. His injuries resulted from overwork, not weakness or negligence. and now he wants to compete in order to bring joy to his family- his father has suffered a terrible recurrence of cancer. Whatever we want to say about Lysacek's style, I admire his work ethic just as I admire Plushenko's.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks so much to everyone who has shared info and thoughts. I had forgotten that Plush competed at Europeans - I don't get Universal Sports and only this year subscribed to Ice Network so have been a bit out of the loop.

I agree that the Western media certainly depicted Plushenko as arrogant and cold in comparison with the more appealing Yagudin, and based on what you say this may well have been a misrepresentation. I admire Plushenko's skill and grit immensely. I'm not a big fan of his somewhat flashy/flamboyant style, but you've got to have huge respect for his longevity, jumping prowess, and courage in trying to come back from a devastating condition.

Re Lysacek, I truly don't think this is about the limelight for him- I think it is about his burning desire to compete and achieve. His injuries resulted from overwork, not weakness or negligence. and now he wants to compete in order to bring joy to his family- his father has suffered a terrible recurrence of cancer. Whatever we want to say about Lysacek's style, I admire his work ethic just as I admire Plushenko's.

If Lysacek wanted to come back he needed to do so a couple years ago when he backed out of SA because of the money.

I don't know this story?

Lysacek was scheduled to return to skating with Skate America. But he ran into a snag when discussions about money came up. At first it was conjectured that his agents wanted some kind of appearance fee, but I think that turned out to be incorrect.

The second version was that USFS insisted on receiving a portion of revenue that Evan got through endorsements the came his way directly as a result of the opportunities to compete that USFS gave him. I don’t know if that is true, either. But anyway, they couldn’t work out the financial details to everyone’s satisfaction.

Lysacek was represented at that time by a general sports group that did not specialize in figure skating. It was said that they overvalued Lysacek’s gold medal and thought he could command a better financial deal than turned out to be the case. The next year Lysacek dropped that agency and signed with Shep Goldberg, Michelle Kwan’s agent.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Lysacek was scheduled to return to skating with Skate America. But he ran into a snag when discussions about money came up. At first it was conjectured that his agents wanted some kind of appearance fee, but I think that turned out to be incorrect.

The second version was that USFS insisted on receiving a portion of revenue that Evan got through endorsements the came his way directly as a result of the opportunities to compete that USFS gave him. I don’t know if that is true, either. But anyway, they couldn’t work out the financial details to everyone’s satisfaction.

Lysacek was represented at that time by a general sports group that did not specialize in figure skating. It was said that they overvalued Lysacek’s gold medal and thought he could command a better financial deal than turned out to be the case. The next year Lysacek dropped that agency and signed with Shep Goldberg, Michelle Kwan’s agent.

OK, so it doesn't sound like it was Evan's fault. As someone who works in the literary world I know that agents often have their own interests rather than the client's best interests at heart. Good for him for dropping that agency.

spikydurian

Medalist
Whatever we want to say about Lysacek's style, I admire his work ethic just as I admire Plushenko's.
Agreed, WWgirl. They are both certainly well known for their work ethics. Leaving personal preferences aside, figure skating fans have nothing to lose to have more competitive spirited skaters like Evan and Plushenko.:)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Agreed, WWgirl. They are both certainly well known for their work ethics. Leaving personal preferences aside, figure skating fans have nothing to lose to have more competitive spirited skaters like Evan and Plushenko.:)

Thanks, Spikydurian! and you put it so well too! :)

lcd

Match Penalty
Evan has certainly been VERY busy on the endorsement and appearance front. He was in NY for the 100 days out Sochi event. I wonder what the impact is on both his training and his recovery to be sitting on so many cross country flights and standing around doing so much media, rather than say, getting therapy and training, frankly.