Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think Lambiel deserves to be singled out without Jeffrey Buttle - the forgotten one it seems. But they are the impetus to Dai and Chan.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Buttle will be known as the ultimate CoP master for his intentional fall on the quad in 2006 that got him the bronze. ;)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I hope all of these skaters are remembered in the future. Skating is a tough, tough sport. We get off easy because we can criticize their skating from behind a computer. Trust me when I say that it is the "easy-looking" stuff that is actually tough. Kudos to all of them!

Off-Topic-- To make your experience here enjoyable, please review our guidelines! http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?18607

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Davis and White's career record is reason enough for them to be remembered.

They are the only couple to win the GPF four times. They haven't lost a GP event since 2008 (five years!!). They are the first American pair to win the World Championship and do it twice.

I don't love Grishuk and Platov, but I don't downplay their dominance from 1994-1998 in Ice Dance.

As to weather people will go back and look at D/W's programs. I think they will. Die Fieldermaus comes to mind. So does Giselle. Heck, people still talk about their Samson and Delilah program even now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sure Evan will be remembered for being the competitior without a quad and without great artistry or skating skills. T and M will be remembered for skating cleanly but without passion. Gritschuk and Platov will be rememered for 2 OGM but not being that great technically and Pasha for having an affair with Zhulin which destroyd U and Z's chances for OGM as they could not skate the passionate programs they were known for. Baiul will be remembered for coming out of the mess of Kerrigan and Tonya with an OGM by throwing in a double axel double toe with seconds to spare and despite being cut by the German skater who skates in the reverese directio of most and beating a woman in a $13000 US Vera Wang.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Davis and White's career record is reason enough for them to be remembered.

They are the only couple to win the GPF four times. They haven't lost a GP event since 2008 (five years!!). They are the first American pair to win the World Championship and do it twice.

I don't love Grishuk and Platov, but I don't downplay their dominance from 1994-1998 in Ice Dance.

As to weather people will go back and look at D/W's programs. I think they will. Die Fieldermaus comes to mind. So does Giselle. Heck, people still talk about their Samson and Delilah program even now.

Their Bollywood OD was one of the highest viewed videos in countries that aren't big on skating.

I think at the very least they've solidified their legend status in the US Ice Dance community. Tanith and Ben opened the door, and Meryl and Charlie blew through it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Their Bollywood OD was one of the highest viewed videos in countries that aren't big on skating.

I think at the very least they've solidified their legend status in the US Ice Dance community. Tanith and Ben opened the door, and Meryl and Charlie blew through it.

Bollywood, duh!

Yeah, that was a great program, if for nothing else my non-skating friends took note of it. Here's what one of my friends said on FB back then:

... is seeing US figure skating to a Bollywood favorite song. wow.
This was back when Facebook had that who "You are..." statuses.

Also: http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/04/from-davis-and-white-to-india-with-love/?_r=0

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I would not cite the high YouTube interest in Davis/White's Bollywood OD (although very cool :cool:) as a reason that they will be remembered as great skaters.

As you say, many of the YouTube viewers were not skating fans. Although the numbers indicate a strong appreciation for D/W's creativity and authenticity, I don't think they are a barometer of the quality of their ice dancing per se.

(Off topic: IIRC, the iPad went on the market just after the 2010 Olympics, where presumably many who do not follow skating first laid eyes on D/W's Bollywood number.)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Buttle will be known as the ultimate CoP master for his intentional fall on the quad in 2006 that got him the bronze. ;)

He could have just done a 2Axel instead and won the Bronze anyway. The judges had him way ahead. But, yes, it's annoying the amount of points people get for doing a quad splat. The problem has only gotten worse with updated CoP rules (6.3 points for a fall on a Quad Toe these days...sigh), which is a big reason for why Patrick Chan's competitive results are seen as undeserved.

Matt Savoie deserved that Bronze medal, to me. In terms of PCS he had the best LP of the competition and his jumps were good enough. Sublime choreography and interpretation, with by FAR the most difficult transitions. Really unfair scores there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would not cite the high YouTube interest in Davis/White's Bollywood OD (although very cool :cool:) as a reason that they will be remembered as great skaters.

As you say, many of the YouTube viewers were not skating fans. Although the numbers indicate a strong appreciation for D/W's creativity and authenticity, I don't think they are a barometer of the quality of their ice dancing per se.

(Off topic: IIRC, the iPad went on the market just after the 2010 Olympics, where presumably many who do not follow skating first laid eyes on D/W's Bollywood number.)

The YouTube interest, however, does point to a certain part of accessibility and relatability D/W provided to nonfans. We talk endlessly about how to engage more nonfans with the sport, and D/W played a small part in doing so.

That said, I think they will be remembered for their creative and interesting OD/SD over the years. I think they'll be remember for their athleticism as well.

Not directing this at you golden411, but just a general thought: Why does there have to be a mutual exclusivity in terms of remembrance? It's not like V/M will be remembered any less because D/W is up there as well. I guess if the discussion is "most remembered" then perhaps we can have a discussion, but I still think both couples have different reasons to be remembered.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The YouTube interest, however, does point to a certain part of accessibility and relatability D/W provided to nonfans. We talk endlessly about how to engage more nonfans with the sport, and D/W played a small part in doing so.

That said, I think they will be remembered for their creative and interesting OD/SD over the years. I think they'll be remember for their athleticism as well.

Not directing this at you golden411, but just a general thought: Why does there have to be a mutual exclusivity in terms of remembrance? It's not like V/M will be remembered any less because D/W is up there as well. I guess if the discussion is "most remembered" then perhaps we can have a discussion, but I still think both couples have different reasons to be remembered.

Agree completely that nothing is to be gained by thinking in terms of mutual exclusivity. For ice dance, I think that many will remember both Virtue/Moir and Davis/White among the greats.

My point about Bollywood is that its YouTube popularity showed that many, many viewers found it entertaining, even if they knew little or nothing about skating.
Of course, the Bollywood program also was was technically demanding, but the majority of viewers did not have the background to make much more than a superficial assessment of the technical difficulty.
So I was raising the question of whether (or to what extent) success as sheer entertainers as quantified by that one video contributes to D/W's stature as great skaters. Although I agree that relatability is good for the sport, I believe -- as you do -- that D/W offer a lot more than mere entertainment value.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The greats will include the Protopopovs (sorry about butchering the name(, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvill and Dean, Klimova and Pomarenko, Toller Cranston (for his originality), yuna kim, Michelle kwan, Katarina Witt, sonja Henie, Midori Ito, Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko, Artur dimitriev (not no partner mentioned), Irina Rodina again no partner mentioned, Virtue and Moir will only make it if they manage to win a 2nd ogm and that is unlikely. Being great imho is more than winning medals or ogm and there aren't a lot. A lot of very memorable but great is the creme de la creme Otherwise I would add Liz Manley, Oksana Baiul, Sasha Cohen, Mao Asada, Gritschuk and Platov, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Stephane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle, Alexei Yagudin, Ilia Kulik, Sale and Pelletier, B and S (I won't even try their names), Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamil, Irina Slutskaya, Surya BOnaly, Maria Butyrskaya, Denise Bielman, Bestminaova and Bukin, Robin Cousins, John Curry,Shen and Zhao, T and M, Usova and Zhulin, Krylova and Oksianikov, Anissina and Peizerot,

tulosai

Record Breaker
The greats will include the Protopopovs (sorry about butchering the name(, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Torvill and Dean, Klimova and Pomarenko, Toller Cranston (for his originality), yuna kim, Michelle kwan, Katarina Witt, sonja Henie, Midori Ito, Kurt Browning, Evgeni Plushenko, Artur dimitriev (not no partner mentioned), Irina Rodina again no partner mentioned, Virtue and Moir will only make it if they manage to win a 2nd ogm and that is unlikely. Being great imho is more than winning medals or ogm and there aren't a lot. A lot of very memorable but great is the creme de la creme Otherwise I would add Liz Manley, Oksana Baiul, Sasha Cohen, Mao Asada, Gritschuk and Platov, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Stephane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle, Alexei Yagudin, Ilia Kulik, Sale and Pelletier, B and S (I won't even try their names), Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamil, Irina Slutskaya, Surya BOnaly, Maria Butyrskaya, Denise Bielman, Bestminaova and Bukin, Robin Cousins, John Curry,Shen and Zhao, T and M, Usova and Zhulin, Krylova and Oksianikov, Anissina and Peizerot,

Who is Irina Todina? I think I have a very very comprehensive grasp of figure skating greats, legends, even 'goods' but have never heard of her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He could have just done a 2Axel instead and won the Bronze anyway. The judges had him way ahead. But, yes, it's annoying the amount of points people get for doing a quad splat. The problem has only gotten worse with updated CoP rules (6.3 points for a fall on a Quad Toe these days...sigh), which is a big reason for why Patrick Chan's competitive results are seen as undeserved.

Matt Savoie deserved that Bronze medal, to me. In terms of PCS he had the best LP of the competition and his jumps were good enough. Sublime choreography and interpretation, with by FAR the most difficult transitions. Really unfair scores there.

I agree, if ever there was a case for wuz robbing, Savoie at the 06 Olympics is the prime example.

I just still have a very hard time that a skater who admittedly planned to fall because he knew he wouldn't land it - that he just needed the revolutions - exploited the rule to gain a spot on the podium. :no:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I wasn't suggesting that, merely that they have impacted their sport. They got people talking with that program. It will be a signature program when folks talk about them. They gained a lot of exposure. It is a PART of what made them great. Not the only reason, but a part of it.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Chinese Pair Teams

Zhen and Zhao
Pang and Tong
Zhang and Zhang

They were amazing pair teams! I won't forget them in a hurry.