Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    I highly doubt that anyone considers Mao one of the greats based solely ... It has more to do with her longevity/medals/style/impact on the sport in Japan and elsewhere than with one single jump. ...
    I agree, I really admire Mao for all the other virtue you mentioned here. But 3A is the deal. just imagine a Mao without a 3A, with all the other stuff she does, what will her status be. or imagine a Mao with perfect 3A (not 2-footed), what will her status be now.

Regarding young skaters, it is just a stats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    I am glad most young skaters now list Yuna as their idol, so we could expect to see more skaters with better technique and dance with the music perfectly in the future just like their idol Yuna does. This is really a better direction for figure skating than just learn cheated technique when still young, try to land that triple a.s.a.p regardless one's own pace/capability.
    Regarding young skaters, it is just a stats.
    Someone took statistics on who most young skaters lists as their idol?

As some point we need to ignore comments that don't make any sense

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Someone took statistics on who most young skaters lists as their idol?
    There is no such stats, But it is apparent what I meant is that Yuna is idolized by most young skaters is a fact, and I will not argue with you about this any more, you can also claim Mao is listed as idol by most young skaters, but facts will be facts, regardless there is stats or not.
    Anyway, I am really tired of all these Yuna vs Mao arguing now.
    Truth and time will tell, Who will remain as the greatest lady skater of all time, just let us wait and see.

Custom Title
    There is no such stats, But it is apparent what I meant is that Yuna is idolized by most young skaters is a fact, and I will not argue with you about this any more, you can also claim Mao is listed as idol by most young skaters, but facts will be facts, regardless there is stats or not.
    Truth and time will tell, Who will remain as the greatest lady skater of all time, just let us wait and see.
    I'm not arguing anything; and I have never claimed Mao is listed an an idol by most young skaters. I don't think she is; perhaps by many young skaters, but I would never say by MOST young skaters. I like both Mao and Yuna, but you're the one making all these statements, claiming them to be facts--I'm just asking you what you have to base these facts on.

My dear if you are so tired why did you bring your comments to this thread and made it about Mao vs Yuna. You were the one arguing that youngsters like Yuna more and a lot of skaters can do a triple axel. You even when as far as bring another skater to the topic. So don't act like you are above the conversation

I'm confused, why can't both Mao and Yuna be legends/among the greats? I'm certainly okay with my pick (Browning) sharing the status with both of them plus a few more.

GreatS would suggest that there are multiple great skaters - which there are, and Mao and Yuna both certainly fit the bill.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    --I'm just asking you what you have to base these facts on.
    My base is my observation of many young skaters mentioned they love Yuna and with concrete reasons why they love Yuna, from different nationalities. But as I said, i dont have stats here.
    There is a document on Yuna's forum that documented what young skaters saids what about Yuna, and why they love Yuna etc. If you bother to check, you will be amazed how diverse these young skaters (nationality wise) are. well then, you can argue it is a Yuna's forum. So I do not really wanna argue about this any more.

this thread ask who will be the greatest, I give my opinion, my facts and reasoning, as I said, time and truth will tell.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    As some point we need to ignore comments that don't make any sense
    Haha I try but some of these comments are just too amusing. Apparently facts don't need stats to back them up as long as one believes it is a fact! Well in that case, Michelle Kwan will forever remain as the greatest skater of all time because to me, that is a fact. Does that make sense?

Literally no one in this thread has suggested that Mao is the greatest lady skater ever or even that she will be remembered over Yuna, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove here. The whole Yuna vs. Mao discussion has started because some posters here seem to be allergic to even the slightest hint of praise towards Mao and try to dismiss her accomplishments in the sport based on imaginary scenarios/what other skaters did or didn't do.

ETA: The thread isn't about who is the greatest, but about who of the skaters currently competing will be remembered among the greats - you seem to have misunderstood the premise. No one here was arguing that Mao is better than Yuna, but rather that it is likely that both will be remembered as great skaters 20 years from now (Yuna more so than Mao).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    My dear if you are so tired why did you bring your comments to this thread and made it about Mao vs Yuna. You were the one arguing that youngsters like Yuna more and a lot of skaters can do a triple axel. You even when as far as bring another skater to the topic. So don't act like you are above the conversation
    My dear, I give my opinion, my fact, my supports, mentioning other skater is unavoidable in any discussion and I am NOT the first one who mentioned other skater here (as long as I didnot bash any one rootlessly and have given my reasons, which might not be agreed by you that is totally fine with me) but I never attack any member or make it personal like you does here.

Custom Title
    Literally no one in this thread has suggested that Mao is the greatest lady skater ever or even that she will be remembered over Yuna, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove here. The whole Yuna vs. Mao discussion has started because some posters here seem to be allergic to even the slightest hint of praise towards Mao and try to dismiss her accomplishments in the sport based on imaginary scenarios/what other skaters did or didn't do.

ETA: The thread isn't about who is the greatest, but about who of the skaters currently competing will be remembered among the greats - you seem to have misunderstood the premise. No one here was arguing that Mao is better than Yuna, but rather that it is likely that both will be remembered as great skaters 20 years from now (Yuna more so than Mao).
    Exactly. It seems listing Asada along Kim irritated some people and the whole thread crapped out into another one of those threads. I'm constantly baffled- I mean, why CAN'T she be great? Like I have said previously, some of these comments run too farfetched or just plain vapid. Whatever. I stand by my point, Asada and Kim are TWO of the GREATS (if not THE two greats) to have come out of this field in the last 5+ years. I'm done.

As if admitting to Mao's greatness will take away from Kim Yuna's legacy.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Actually, no ice dancers or pairs skaters from this era will be remember for long. Torvill and Dean are the only ice dancers that anyone has ever heard of.
    As well as non skating fans.

Even though someone said we couldn't say this...I'm going to say it....Alexei will be remembered!!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm confused, why can't both Mao and Yuna be legends/among the greats? I'm certainly okay with my pick (Browning) sharing the status with both of them plus a few more.

GreatS would suggest that there are multiple great skaters - which there are, and Mao and Yuna both certainly fit the bill.
    I'm not sure, but based on the multitude of threads the somehow become all about these two... I think it must be something like that movie "Highlander."

"There can be only one."

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast