Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Skaters who'll be remembered with time as among the greats

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    For those who asked:
    Trolling is not acceptable on Golden Skate.
    It is OK to passionately like or dislike one skater or another, as long as you do not insult those that disagree with you.
    We do not test any opinions for truth or falsity, but we infract for unsourced rumors.

As to the GP Slam, its very rare, because top teams from major countries have to do their own GP (limiting their opportunities), and lower ranked teams don't get to pick where they go, they have to be invited.

Denkova & Staviyski were never invited to do Cup of Russia after they became a threat to win. Third is their highest placing there. They won the other 5 GPS of their time, including Bofrost.

Grishuk and Platov won every GP they had an invitation to, but were never at Skate Canada

Navka & Kostamarov only won 4 of the GPs (missing NHK & Skate America)

Davis & White have 4- they have never competed at Cup of China, and finished 3rd at TEB in 2007

Is Yuna Kim all about the jumps, or are her performances characterized by the coming together of many disparate elements in a way that seems inevitable, effortless, intensely pleasing, beyond our expectations?

Yes, and yes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Even when I thought this thread couldnt get any worst than you called mao a nobody. Google mao because you obiously dont know anything about her. Is trolling accepted in this board now?
    By the way name the posters who said Mao is a nobody.
    I just summerized the majority of this thread. Asada's performance will be remembered for relatively a long time, referenced by all student skaters, I think. But if that was said, enmity will restart. ISU favours Kim far more than Asada, so there is no rivalry between Kim and Asada.

I think the skaters that are best remembered are those that managed to keep in the public eye after their competitive careers were done. Sonia Henie won a bunch of titles, but she hit the jackpot when she brought figure skating to Hollywood. Dick Button won two Olympic gold medals, but he is fondly remembered in the U.S. because he was the voice of figure skating for fifty years. Kurt Browning won four world championships as an amateur, but became all-time great by his professional career.

It also helps to be in the right place at the right time. Peggy Fleming was not better than Carol Heiss or Tenley Albright, but she was on television.

In the U.S. Ice dancers and pairs skaters have a tough way to go. If you ask the general public to identify Virtue, Moir, Davis and White, the answers would split between law firm and stock brokerage house. Elena and Anton and Jamie and David – wasn’t that a 1969 Natalie Wood movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Kurt Browning won four world championships as an amateur, but became all-time great by his professional career.
    Is Kurt the only 4time champ that never got an Olympic medal of any color?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Is Kurt the only 4time champ that never got an Olympic medal of any color?
    No

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Wow good find there!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    very cool... though isn't she before the winter olympics and figure skating being an actual olympic sport? (1908 and 1920 olympic games book end her success)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    very cool... though isn't she before the winter olympics and figure skating being an actual olympic sport? (1908 and 1920 olympic games book end her success)
    She medalled in 1906 and 1907, but for whatever reason was not at the 1908 Olympics, which Madge Syers won. Like Syers, Kronberger also competed against men at times - she was the Hungarian champion when it was a coed event.

Opika von Méray Horváth, who won the three World titles after Kronberger, never had an opportunity to compete at the Olympics. I imagine she might have won Worlds again, but WWI ended her career.

Medalist
    This is a good thread. God, I realize how little I like the single skaters now adays. Pounding all those points into programs has taken much of the personality out of singles. Mao has been at it a long time but I don´t know what she´s added to the sport. Kim I suppose because of her success. But, she seems a good point getter - leaves me cold. None of the men. In pairs Voloszhar & Trankov because of the extrodinary athleticism - frightening, really. Savchenko & Szolkowy for their longevity. Davis and White - I don´t even like ice dancing but like to watch them.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    So Plushy never took part in CoC? There was a van last week outside the office with a big sign saying Bofrost, I only then realised what Bofrost stood for, or I had just forgotten, i dont remember

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    When Tanith & Ben were skating, they always seemed to be at Cup of China, so Meryl & Charlie were not there. Since 2010 when they retired, Meryl & Charlie have been doing Skate America & Tessa & Scott have been doing Skate Canada Tessa & Scott like TEB. Meryl & Charlie like NHK. When each team has won Worlds, that's how they pick, except D&W did CoR in 2011 instead of NHK. Because D&W were 2nd in the US until 2010, they had a little freedom to do different events.

The only time Tessa & Scott did a GP event other than Skate Canada or TEB, it was 2007, and they competed at NHK. They were first in Canada since 2008. It's harder to get around when you're medalling at Worlds and your Fed wants you at their event, for sure.

Now that I think about it, I think I am not surprised that Charlie White might want nothing to do with competing at Cup of China-as an asthmatic, I bet he worries about air quality.

Thanks to Johnny Weir for reminding me what a big deal air quality is when competing.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ... Since 2010 when they retired, Meryl & Charlie have been doing Skate America & Tessa & Scott have been doing Skate Canada Tessa & Scott like TEB. Meryl & Charlie like NHK. When each team has won Worlds, that's how they pick, except D&W did CoR in 2011 instead of NHK. ...

The only time Tessa & Scott did a GP event other than Skate Canada or TEB, it was 2007, and they competed at NHK. ...
    Re Virtue/Moir's GP history:

They won Rostelecom Cup in 2012.

After V/M won Worlds in 2012, they picked Rostelecom Cup as part of their early prep for Sochi.

Matt K
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Re Virtue/Moir's GP history:

They won Rostelecom Cup in 2012.

After V/M won Worlds in 2012, they picked Rostelecom Cup as part of their early prep for Sochi.
    No, that was because P/B won worlds Bronze in 2012 so V/M couldn't have been assigned to TEB that upcoming season (2012-13) as P/B were assigned to TEB. Had P and B not been on the worlds podium, V/M would probably had done TEB again.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    No, that was because P/B won worlds Bronze in 2012 so V/M couldn't have been assigned to TEB that upcoming season (2012-13) as P/B were assigned to TEB. Had P and B not been on the worlds podium, V/M would probably had done TEB again.
    Ooops ... thanks, Matt. I had forgotten about Pechalat/Bourzat's bronze and natural choice of 2012 TEB.

Adding Rostelecom Cup to Doris' list of Virtue/Moir's past GP events remains in effect as the point of my post.

And gaining additional experience in Russia does explain why V/M chose Rostelecom instead of NHK as an alternative to TEB that season.
    I just remember that V/M mentioned that reasoning more than once in interviews around the time of that trip to Russia.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast