Men SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men SP - Cup of China 2013

emdee

Final Flight
She's very hit and miss though. A few great programs but also a lot of bland and forgettable ones.

Yes she is but you cannot make a silk purse out of sows ear.

What I dont like about her is that she is becoming more and more generic. Churning out same/similar programs that are so easy to recognize.
The problem rests also with the number of programs tha Choreographers do. As long as they are fairly exclusive in their numbers its works well. When they fan out and work for many more skaters it they reuse elements, entries, music etc.

I have always loved certain of her programs, Kostner's Faun, Timothy Goebel's Oly program, Patrick's Tango etc

treeloving

Medalist
Wow it's seems that someone has so much time in his/her hand to trash particular skater he/ she hasn't never known personally in every opportunities.

wallylutz

Medalist
SS should be so high or even higher. Other PCS, no.

The problem is, judges seem unable to separate the different PCS when marking.

I don't agree. I am impressed with this skate from Han Yan. Although the overall performance is very well executed and smooth, the power he got from each stroke is still not quite as much as some of the other top male skaters. If anything, I expect SS to drop somewhat in a major competition, everything else being equal. In terms of complexity of the program, there are quite of room for improvement still in terms of adding more difficulty and nuances in-between the elements. I expect his CH and IN will go up still if he keeps performing like this.

wallylutz

Medalist
My bet is that Plushenko at 31 y.o and after 12 surgeries will still skate better than a bunch of young, healthy skaters, so the embarrassment is out of question. :laugh:

Preserving this post for posterity so that it may be shown again to haunt the OP at the next Halloween.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
SS should be so high or even higher. Other PCS, no.
I would never guess that if you didn't post that. I don't understand this choice of music at all for him. I'd give him a longato program which would emphasise his glide and flow. He's quite introverted and his movement wasn't 'playful' and it looked quite awkward.

Indeed, but Han is challenging himself so as lori, Han reportedly admitted that the transitions in his new programs are very difficult for him but he is learning a lot, I understand that you think his "playful" moves a bit awkward. He is stilling learning. But, better than just stay in your comfort zone and not try anything new.
His LP music and choreography suits his gliding, flowing skating skill better. He will be acting as Doctor Hannibal there.

emdee

Final Flight
Indeed, but Han is challenging himself so as lori, Han reportedly admitted that the transitions in his new programs are very difficult for him but he is learning a lot, I understand that you think his "playful" moves a bit awkward. He is stilling learning. But, better than just stay in your comfort zone and not try anything new.
His LP music and choreography suits his gliding, flowing skating skill better. He will be acting as Doctor Hannibal there.

Han is young and has a way to go. I look forward to seeing some very interesting performances from him in the future.

ciocio

On the Ice
Han was great, I totally can see a bright future for him but no, right now he does not have PChan's SS.

lakeside

On the Ice
But the edging is just not there especially compared to Chan- its almost like he scratches the surface compared to them besides at 90 that means Chan and Dai would have even at their best beating that and element wise he is the same almost as Chan - though he doesn't get into his spin positions the best. I just don't see how Yan can score so high or rather should score so high.
ITA. Han Yan's edging is just mediocre, nothing outstanding. Don't even compare him to Patrick, there's nothing comparable to Patrick's wonderful skating skills. If you watch Kozuka who skated right after Yan, then you'll see Kozuka's SS are so much better than Yan. I thought Machida's score at SA was inflated, but nothing could compare to Han's inflation. There were few transitions in Yan's program, and the program was bland. The PCS was inflated. His jumps had little height, his landings were not that good, and there were no difficult steps preceding the jumps. His spins were worse than those of Amodio. The GOEs were inflated. Overall a very inflated score.

Santa came early I guess for Yan.
LOL, but it's actually home inflation.

I would never guess that if you didn't post that. I don't understand this choice of music at all for him. I'd give him a longato program which would emphasise his glide and flow. He's quite introverted and his movement wasn't 'playful' and it looked quite awkward.
ITA# Would never guessed that if someone didn't post that, and even after reading that post, I still don't see that# Han Yan maybe had some nice intention to portray an interesting character, but he didn't do a good job at all#

Yan and Yuzuru for the future
No way! Yuzru will be for the future because when he's on he has the total package. But Yan will not. Even if he's clean, his skating is still bland. I don't see him for the future unless he improves vastly. Right now he's on his way to become another Kozuka - introverted skater who doesn't know how to perform. But even to become another Kozuka Yan needs to improve his skating skills.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I though Han did great! He showed a lot more personality today then I've seen from him in the past. I agree he's still introverted, but it seems that he's working on it.

The junior men class of 2013 (I count Kovtum and Han in there even though they both made senior debuts last season, Brown and Farris are in their peer group) is looking impressive so far this season! In the SP, they occupy 3 out of the top 6 SP scores:

GP SP Scores 80+
1.) Machida: 91.18 (50.08 TES; 41.10 PCS)
2.) Yan: 90.14 (50.25 TES; 39.89 PCS)
3.) Chan: 88.10 (43.17 TES; 44.93 PCS)
4.) Brown: 83.78 (44.85 TES; 38.93 PCS)
5.) Kovtun: 81.84 (46.41 TES; 36.43 PCS)
6.) Oda: 80.82 (43.61 TES; 38.21 PCS)
7.) Hanyu: 80.40 (39.69 TES; 40.71 PCS)

That said, Kovtum's score is quite low. Despite doing two quads, he's only 1.56 points ahead in TES of Brown, who didn't do any quads. Even putting in +1.5 for the fall in the step sequence, it's still only 3 points ahead for someone that had three double-digit jumping elements against someone who had none.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
you are delusional if you think Kozuka has better SS than Yan
and he is definitely not introverted, did you watched the SP ? it was fun and he engaged well with the audience

lakeside

On the Ice
What? Kozuka's skating skills are so much better than Yan.

Well, if you accuse me then I think you're delusional to compare Yan with Yuzru performance-wise. Yuzru interacted well with the audience, while Yan's interaction was just awkward.

McIce

Rinkside
The last couple of posts made me laugh.

One post said 'A's skating skills are better than B'. Then the next post objected 'No, B's skating skills are so much better than A'. Both said with such an authoritative tone, yet without any evidence or video clips to illustrate why they think A is better than B or vice versa. I almost think I'm in an argument from kindergarten kids.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think anyone that scores 90+ on their GP short program debut is someone to watch. Han's PCS scores are nowhere near Chan's and still below Kozuka's. He won because he had 50+ TES, one on two skaters to do so this season. His TES was four points higher than Kovtum's and 10+ higher than the rest of the competition.

I do think Han is making efforts toward injecting more of his personality.

ETA: FWIW, here's a tweet from Johnny Weir:

JohnnyGWeir 5:21am via Twitter for iPhone
Rooting for all the skaters this week at Cup of China! My pre-event picks for rising stars are Han Yan and Li Zijun of China

We all know that Johnny loves Yuzuru, so it's perfectly okay to appreciate both skaters. :)

Congratulations to Han (Honey, DD, Hanee). I am so proud of you!!:love: just so you know his SP (choreographed by Lori) used Music of "Minor Waltz" and " Viper's Drag". according to Hanee " the SP portraits a hooligan who is flirting with girls while being deluded by Ecstasy... It is more feels like a EX instead of SP..."

I also hate the Camera operator, really terrible (all the wrong angles)!!!:disapp:

I think there were a couple of instances in NBC's coverage of Skate Canada last week where the skater skated totally out of the frame for a few seconds. Nothing but empty rink onscreen.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Amodio needs to have a miraculous Long Program performance now, just like last year at TEB. I predicted him to win. :scowl:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The problem rests also with the number of programs that Choreographers do. As long as they are fairly exclusive in their numbers its works well. When they fan out and work for many more skaters it they reuse elements, entries, music etc.

4 out of 9 men were choreographed by Lori Nichols: Yan, Song, Ten and Liebers

Thanks yyyskate for your input. You are definitely right to be proud of Yan. I like that he works on his performances. His jumps look solid and his skating is smooth... great future :clap: Many nations would love to have him on their team ;)

Kovtun did TWO solid quads in SP, first skater so far this GP season :bow:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Even putting in +1.5 for the fall in the step sequence, it's still only 3 points ahead for someone that had three double-digit jumping elements against someone who had none.

It's a much bigger difference than that for the step sequence fall. Most of the guys are aiming for their step sequence to be Level 4 with +2 GOE, which is 5.3 points. When you fall on a step sequence, it will hurt the level most of the time as well. Kovtun got .8 points for his step sequence when including the fall deduction, which is 4.5 points off where it ideally should be.

He actually got overscored, IMO, because there were NO transitions going into his Quad Toe (solo jump), which is required. Only one judge correctly gave him -2 GOE for that element.

Kelly

On the Ice
I think Han Yan's score is fair here, so he needs to improve PCS-wise. The choreography of his SP is kind of bland and there are a lot of stops but maybe it's a good strategy to allow him to get steady technically. On the other hand, Kozuka's PCS doesn't suffer too much here. If I remember correctly, he has never have the luxury like Chan and Takahahsi of getting 10 points more on PCS than on TES.