Ladies SP - Cup of China 2013 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - Cup of China 2013

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Haven't watched anything yet but just by reading the comments and glancing at the scores, this was a very weak SP event for the ladies. Mistakes from nearly everyone...

Surprised to see Adelina in 1st place but it's not like it hasn't happened before. She can be pretty amazing when she's on...

Typical of Carolina to have one big mistake but it's early in the season and this is her very first competition. Did she even do any summer events?

Anna is very steady so I expected her to hit her elements. PCS come with the territory...she's a newbie up against veterans. If she pays her dues and continues to skate strongly her PCS will rise.

Plenty of URs for Kanako but that is her pattern. The past two seasons she starts off slowly with lots of URs but by nationals she's back on track. Kanako is really good at peaking so I'm not worried about the jumps. Haven't seen the program yet but the comments about it have me worried. I usually adore her SPs...

Disappointing Agnes...is disappointing.

What happened to Zijun?? She's more than 10 points behind 2nd place but if she has a strong FS she could pull up to 3rd or 4th.

I'll watch the videos when I have time. I'm pretty sure Carolina will still end up in 1st place by the time all is said and done. Adelina isn't known for holding it together in the FS but if she does she'll definitely end up on the podium. Anna is steady and if she nails her tricks I'm sure she'll stack enough points to stay on the podium. Both Kanako and Zijun are capable of 120+ FS scores so we'll have to see how they do.

thinspread

On the Ice
Maybe the good will come out later towards the end of the season.... at the Olympics, hopefully...

For that to happen, her program needs a face-off. Even with that, I don't see it happening with that music cut. Simply not suitable for an oly contender.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 66.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 62.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 60.24 Short Program
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 57.33 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 54.79 Short Program
6. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) - 53.76 Short Program
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 53.73 Short Program
8. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.58 Short Program
9. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 53.32 Short Program
10. Xiaowen GUO (CHN) - 45.32

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Haven't watched anything yet but just by reading the comments and glancing at the scores, this was a very weak SP event for the ladies. Mistakes from nearly everyone...

Surprised to see Adelina in 1st place but it's not like it hasn't happened before. She can be pretty amazing when she's on...

Typical of Carolina to have one big mistake but it's early in the season and this is her very first competition. Did she even do any summer events?

Anna is very steady so I expected her to hit her elements. PCS come with the territory...she's a newbie up against veterans. If she pays her dues and continues to skate strongly her PCS will rise.

Plenty of URs for Kanako but that is her pattern. The past two seasons she starts off slowly with lots of URs but by nationals she's back on track. Kanako is really good at peaking so I'm not worried about the jumps. Haven't seen the program yet but the comments about it have me worried. I usually adore her SPs...

Disappointing Agnes...is disappointing.

What happened to Zijun?? She's more than 10 points behind 2nd place but if she has a strong FS she could pull up to 3rd or 4th.

I'll watch the videos when I have time. I'm pretty sure Carolina will still end up in 1st place by the time all is said and done. Adelina isn't known for holding it together in the FS but if she does she'll definitely end up on the podium. Anna is steady and if she nails her tricks I'm sure she'll stack enough points to stay on the podium. Both Kanako and Zijun are capable of 120+ FS scores so we'll have to see how they do.

because Zijun was just recently injured and had a growth spurt in summer
given that, I don't see her cracking above 115+ FS for now

FSGMT

Record Breaker
My feed froze so I just finished watching the last group.

Kostner.. I just can't understand her music choice or choreography. It looks really junior-level, rather I would even call it novice-level, given the quality of Russian and American juniors nowadays. It also looks very conservative and cautious. Big disappointment for me. I think Lipnitskaia would have done better than that. So much hype for her quasi-artistry.

What was her team thinking? Is that really an Oly podium caliber program?
Seriously, Carolina Kostner is OVERRATED!!!
This program is not good at all and doesn't deserve so high PCS :mad:

I'm tired of thoses PCS boost for weak performance :disagree:
:jaw: You know that I love Carolina, but I can understand that some people don't like her style or that they don't think this program is as amazing as I do, but saying that it is a novice-level program is simply absurde!!

Sara

On the Ice
Would be interesting to know what Carolina and Huth were discussing in K&C. Any German speakers here?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Adelina's score clearly she is still being politicked by her Federation
I don't see her as Russian No.1 , what do her Fed see so much in her ? :disagree:

all I see in Sotnikova is a Flutzer, cannot rotate a 3-3, popped Flips and a headcase
I'm gutted this almost scored the same as Julia's SP :disapp:

Well she landed the flip this time. As for what they see. Big jumps. Good flexibility, good presentation quality and skating skills...I think if everyone were to go clean her and Lip are the two best in Russia.

thinspread

On the Ice
:jaw: You know that I love Carolina, but I can understand that some people don't like her style or that they don't think this program is as amazing as I do, but saying that it is a novice-level program is simply absurde!!

Sincerely sorry if my post was annoying to you. I'm not a big fan of Kostner, but I've liked her a lot since her early senior career. But, I don't like this program.

About my novice-level comment, please think of it this way -- I think a good, achieving novice-level skater can follow her routine, step by step, beat by beat, movement by movement, sans Kostner's speed and jumps, with even more convincingly age-appropriate way of presentation with that music cut and all. Doesn't it make sense?

To my eyes, it's not a good program for a top senior lady.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Kostner's SP last season was better than this one. It wasn't bad but there was nothing particularly outstanding about it either. She's capable of better and you'd think Nichol would prepare something really special for her in the Olympic season.

Kostner always manages to stay up there even with errors. She has great quality but unlike the men you make an error and you get heavily dinged = even Chan in his short - he makes an error and he can find himself in trouble - Caro is still usually in the top three or four at worst. Comparatively Chan and ABbott are far better pc wise (though the marks don't show it). Still it appears this sp is getting mixed reviews. I don't think all programs can be a masterpiece. Otherwise there would be no masterpiece and no special performances. Is this a novice program - no not really. But Caro is smart when she skates and her height and elegance seems to transcend other deficiencies. I would reserve judgment on her. right now we know we have for the olys a ew questions about Kim's injury, inconsistent Mao and Caro. Could this allow a shizuka or Sarah Hughes moment?

Icey

Record Breaker
Caro's program is so empty and bland. Looks more like an exhibition piece . There was so much talk before the season, leading one to think it was going to be something really special. I am going to have to research the music, because I don't have the slightest notion what she was trying to project.

The competition itself was lackluster and, oh, the musical choices for most.
This is an Olympic year isn't it?

Lori should have used Schuman's Humoresque rather than this.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Kostner always manages to stay up there even with errors. She has great quality but unlike the men you make an error and you get heavily dinged = even Chan in his short - he makes an error and he can find himself in trouble - Caro is still usually in the top three or four at worst. Comparatively Chan and ABbott are far better pc wise (though the marks don't show it). Still it appears this sp is getting mixed reviews. I don't think all programs can be a masterpiece. Otherwise there would be no masterpiece and no special performances. Is this a novice program - no not really. But Caro is smart when she skates and her height and elegance seems to transcend other deficiencies. I would reserve judgment on her. right now we know we have for the olys a ew questions about Kim's injury, inconsistent Mao and Caro. Could this allow a shizuka or Sarah Hughes moment?

That 62 is a low score and could keep her out of the top flight at the Olympics...Technically others are doing 3lutzs/3toes and she's barely able to do a 3toe/3toe. I adore a lot about Kostner's skating but...

Sara

On the Ice
Exactly, 62 is not very good, in SC Caro would have been fifth after SP with today's performance.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Skater Boy said:
She has great quality but unlike the men you make an error and you get heavily dinged = even Chan in his short - he makes an error and he can find himself in trouble - Caro is still usually in the top three or four at worst. Comparatively Chan and ABbott are far better pc wise (though the marks don't show it).

That's not true at all! I don't think Chan/Abbott are that far ahead of Kostner PCS wise to begin with, and even moreso, how do they get dinged harder then her? Chan just scored 88+ with a 3T3T, and a pop is way worse than a fall under this system. If he would have done a 4T3T with a fall, his score would have been higher. But a 3T3T was enough to be just 10 points off from the world record. Kostner has easier content too, that's true, but her score here already gets smashed by Asada's score from SA by over 10 points, even with a double-footed 3A.
A lot of the well-known skaters with good reputation and basics get off fairly well even when making mistakes (and besides Chan and Kostner, that means Takahashi, Asada and others...)

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 66.03 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 62.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Anna POGORILAYA (RUS) - 60.24 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 57.33 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 54.79 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Nikol GOSVIANI (RUS) - 53.76 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 53.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.58 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 53.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Xiaowen GUO (CHN) - 45.32 Short Program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
dorispulaski said:
I'm gutted that it scored that far above Anna's SP.

Just watched Anna, as I came to late to watch the first group live, and I really, really like her. She still needs work on the presentation/interpretation, but she has spunk and personality and huge jumps. While I think Adelinas score his fine, Anna got a little low-balled for my taste. If she continues to skate like she did here, that's going to change though.
Honestly, I'm always forgetting Anna's just 15 when I watch her. She looks really grown up to me, curvy figure (well, in relation to how most female skaters look) and all.

noidont

Final Flight
Nikol was wonderful and exquisite. Skates like a young Carolina with such musicality. Can't take my eyes off her. Beautiful dress too. I wish she could skate for a less competitive country.

cooper

Medalist

arakawa did not skate well in the gp series during that olympic season and yet managed to win the ogm..and it is still early for carolina..

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I love Caro but I don't know how a judge gives an IN score of 9.75 for any program with a jarring fall. That's virtually a perfect score.

Very happy for Adelina not getting an "e" for her lutz. That is good progress, and her loop looks closer to being rotated that I have ever seen her do it (recently), a generous caller might have given it to her.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
I would suggest people hold their judgement for Caro's sp. It is early. And the fall i think effected the program a lot. For the last 3 years i have always questioned her sp after her first competition. But they continue to grow on me throughout the season.

And there is still Scheherazade

tulosai

Record Breaker
Adelina's score clearly she is still being politicked by her Federation
I don't see her as Russian No.1 , what do her Fed see so much in her ? :disagree:

all I see in Sotnikova is a Flutzer, cannot rotate a 3-3, popped Flips and a headcase
I'm gutted this almost scored the same as Julia's SP :disapp:

I don't deny that Russia politiks Adelina (and Tukt) but that's their job.

I do have to say, though, I think you underestimate how much the judges actually LIKE Adelina and have since her junior days. If she could go really clean, she'd be consistently beating everyone but Yuna and Mao, even if everyone else was clean, that is the level of judges love for her IMO. Of course, till now in her career as a senior, she has yet to go clean.